Streaking Stars - using it effectively

Hello

So I've got 2 Streaking Stars (SS) stacked and I notice that other balance druids get 2-3 times more damage from that trait in the DPS meters than I do. Why?

Is there a trick to it? Add more Moonfires and Sunfires just to trigger the extra damage? Is it higher haste? I can't tell.

Few factors.

Azerite item level.
    Crit and haste effect SS trait.
    Always be casting something, even when moving (moonfire / sunfire etc)

Crit and haste are simming highest for my druid (I have 3 SS traits)

Just make sure to always use different spells back to back, and always be casting something. Helps too to make sure you have close to 50 resource before using incarn so it puts you close to 100 without capping. That allows for starsurges and always having empowered spells to lower their cast time while incarn is up.

Helps too to time an incarn with lust. That helps your burst and SS damage immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlucia View Post
    Few factors.

Azerite item level.
    Crit and haste effect SS trait.
    Always be casting something, even when moving (moonfire / sunfire etc)

Crit and haste are simming highest for my druid (I have 3 SS traits)

Just make sure to always use different spells back to back, and always be casting something. Helps too to make sure you have close to 50 resource before using incarn so it puts you close to 100 without capping. That allows for starsurges and always having empowered spells to lower their cast time while incarn is up.

Helps too to time an incarn with lust. That helps your burst and SS damage immensely.

That's really good to know, thanks for that. Plenty for me to remember.

Mind the spells that have travel time and boss distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyandthechild View Post
    Hello

So I've got 2 Streaking Stars (SS) stacked and I notice that other balance druids get 2-3 times more damage from that trait in the DPS meters than I do. Why?

Is there a trick to it? Add more Moonfires and Sunfires just to trigger the extra damage? Is it higher haste? I can't tell.
    Do you have Vision of Perfection Essence or the Arcanic Pulsar trait? They make a huge difference in uptime.

Also, you should never have to cast the same spell twice in a row, especially during CA/Inc.

And just in case anybody was unclear on it: Streaking Stars only procs if your current spell is different from the last one you cast.
    So LS-SW-LS-SW will get you 4 procs, but LS-LS-SW-SW will only generate 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kek280 View Post
    Wait, is this really a thing with streaking stars? Just for example = sunfire, wrath, sunfire. The second sunfire will hit before the wrath, does that mean I don't get a streaking stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Argenon View Post
    Wait, is this really a thing with streaking stars? Just for example = sunfire, wrath, sunfire. The second sunfire will hit before the wrath, does that mean I don't get a streaking stars?
    Yeah pretty sure, unless it was recently changed and I can't somehow find it googling it, it's been like that since release, it's based on spell hit, not cast.
    There is a streaking star weakaura in the weakaura sharing site that tracks and shows you when you repeat a spell.

Playing around the SS trait is key to maximizing damage as Balance Druid. Find yourself Azerite pieces that add up to 3 SS and 1 Arcanic Pulsar - depending on available gear, it's very possible that Azerite gear with those traits will sim higher than gear without them even at SUBSTANTIAL ilvl differences (always sim yourself to make sure).

Make sure you have a good way to track your Incarnation windows - bars, WeakAuras, whatever your UI supports best. It also pays to track Arcanic Pulsar stacks, so you know when you're coming up on #9. Pool resources when a window is coming up (but don't overcap). It also pays to plan around fight mechanics, so you're not triggering a window during, say, a heavy movement phase if you can avoid it.

Once a window pops, try and maximize your spells. Try to make Solar Wrath every other cast during Incarnation, as long as you're not overcapping on power or Empowerments. A short window (from Pulsar) will ideally have you alternating Solar Wrath and Starsurge, if you've pooled enough power. Once the window is about to run out and you can't fit another Solar Wrath/Starsurge, squeeze in Sunfire/Moonfire (prioritize the one that's lowest in remaining duration).

It takes practice to get a good feeling for what you need to do, and to train your reaction times to doing the right thing at the right moment. Remember that the latency tolerance allows you to queue spells, so press the next one before the current one has finished to avoid gaps between casts. You might want to play around with your lag settings in the game's options depending on what your connection is like.

Also, accounting for fight mechanics is tremendously important. Priority targets, bonus damage mechanics, and movement/penalty mechanics can screw you out of a lot of DPS - or add a lot, depending on how you play around them. For most new players, the basics of the rotation are of course important, but an amazing amount of DPS is actually lost to not properly fitting that rotation to what's going on around them. Remember the ol' caster ABC - Always. Be. Casting. Learn how to pool resources, how to juggle Empowerments and DoT uptimes, and how to make the most out of what you have to do for a fight.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by kek280 View Post
    To clarify here, this ONLY applies to Starsurge. Solar Wrath actually triggers a Streaking Star as soon as the cast finishes, and NOT when the spell hits the boss. All the other Balance spells are instant hits anyway.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2019-08-20 at 04:04 AM.

^ Biomega described it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    To clarify here, this ONLY applies to Starsurge. Solar Wrath actually triggers a Streaking Star as soon as the cast finishes, and NOT when the spell hits the boss. All the other Balance spells are instant hits anyway.
    Cool. This makes so much more sense.

Which can actually work to our benefit, as the SS that activates Pulsar will trigger a Star if it's not a repeat.

Something to note on Vision and Pulsar: Both will also generate AP corresponding to the fraction of CA duration they trigger, with Vision giving 10 at Rank 1, 14 at Rank 2 and Pulsar always giving 12.
    This is always based on CA duration, even if you specced into Incarnation.
    Last edited by huth; 2019-08-22 at 03:39 PM.

Playing around the SS trait is key to maximizing damage as Balance Druid. Find yourself Azerite pieces that add up to 3 SS and 1 Arcanic Pulsar - depending on available gear, it's very possible that Azerite gear with those traits will sim higher than gear without them even at SUBSTANTIAL ilvl differences (always sim yourself to make sure).

Make sure you have a good way to track your Incarnation windows - bars, WeakAuras, whatever your UI supports best. It also pays to track Arcanic Pulsar stacks, so you know when you're coming up on #9. Pool resources when a window is coming up (but don't overcap). It also pays to plan around fight mechanics, so you're not triggering a window during, say, a heavy movement phase if you can avoid it.

Once a window pops, try and maximize your spells. Try to make Solar Wrath every other cast during Incarnation, as long as you're not overcapping on power or Empowerments. A short window (from Pulsar) will ideally have you alternating Solar Wrath and Starsurge, if you've pooled enough power. Once the window is about to run out and you can't fit another Solar Wrath/Starsurge, squeeze in Sunfire/Moonfire (prioritize the one that's lowest in remaining duration).

It takes practice to get a good feeling for what you need to do, and to train your reaction times to doing the right thing at the right moment. Remember that the latency tolerance allows you to queue spells, so press the next one before the current one has finished to avoid gaps between casts. You might want to play around with your lag settings in the game's options depending on what your connection is like.

Also, accounting for fight mechanics is tremendously important. Priority targets, bonus damage mechanics, and movement/penalty mechanics can screw you out of a lot of DPS - or add a lot, depending on how you play around them. For most new players, the basics of the rotation are of course important, but an amazing amount of DPS is actually lost to not properly fitting that rotation to what's going on around them. Remember the ol' caster ABC - Always. Be. Casting. Learn how to pool resources, how to juggle Empowerments and DoT uptimes, and how to make the most out of what you have to do for a fight.

EDIT:

i am new to balance. and since i am curious about it, i reopen/necro this thread somewhat.

what i am courios about is the following: why are ALL spells instant hits anyway ? what about empowered Lunar Strikes ?

side question: is all info here still the actual case ?

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    what i am courios about is the following: why are ALL spells instant hits anyway ? what about empowered Lunar Strikes ?
    Because the only spells with traveling projectiles are Starsurge and Solar Wrath. The other spells have animations but not actual projectiles, and will deal damage as soon as the spell finishes. And Solar Wrath - as I said - actually triggers a Streaking Star the moment its cast finishes, even if it hasn't actually hit the target yet (which happens when the projectile finishes traveling). Starsurge, on the other hand, will only trigger a Streaking Star when it actually hits the target, so travel time matters for Starsurge and only Starsurge.

I haven't been raiding of late but I don't think any mechanics have changed since I wrote my post.

Because the only spells with traveling projectiles are Starsurge and Solar Wrath. The other spells have animations but not actual projectiles, and will deal damage as soon as the spell finishes. And Solar Wrath - as I said - actually triggers a Streaking Star the moment its cast finishes, even if it hasn't actually hit the target yet (which happens when the projectile finishes traveling). Starsurge, on the other hand, will only trigger a Streaking Star when it actually hits the target, so travel time matters for Starsurge and only Starsurge.

I haven't been raiding of late but I don't think any mechanics have changed since I wrote my post.
    ah, that clarifies what you meant. thx a lot !

Can't say i have been paying terribly much attention to it, but from what i have seen, there don't appear to be any noteworthy changes.