View Poll Results: What's your favourite type of Night elf?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Character: Illidan/Maiev - fierce, vengeful type

    57 29.23%
  • Character: Tyrande/Mordant Evenshade - progressive, challenging

    41 21.03%
  • Character: Prince Farondis/Malfurion - Benevolent, wise, intelligent scholarly and noble

    59 30.26%
  • Orders: Elune Order of Priests, Sentinels, Huntresses

    64 32.82%
  • Order: Arcane wielding Moonguard & Highborne

    31 15.90%
  • Order: Druids; of Talon/Claw/Branch/Wild etc

    53 27.18%
  • Order: Demon Hunter Illidari

    29 14.87%
  • Order: Wardens

    40 20.51%
  • Habitat : Temples/Cathedral of Elune

    33 16.92%
  • Habitat: Cities - Zin'Azshari, Suramar, Darnassus etc

    50 25.64%
  • Habitat: Forests - Val'sharah, Ashenvale, Teldrassil

    72 36.92%
  • None - I hate them or really don't find anything attractive in them.

    42 21.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    All the things you and I like about them are still there
    This is where I disagree. There are fundamental changes to their society that has broadened their outlook on the world, and those aren't the Night Elves I am very interested in. In WC3 I felt they were an interesting counterpart to the Horde and Alliance. They were ancient and savage, and their magics were unseen and unknown to any other race, hidden away for millenia.

    Now we have Druidism spread out amongst other races, we have Night Elves accepting the Arcane, their Male/Female divisions are blurred and worst yet, their identity has been fully consumed by being in the Alliance.

    I think BFA started trying to bring back some of that savageness with Tyrande's Night Warrior thing, and showing Malf's bear form for the first time, but I don't think that's really gonna fix the damage that simply existing in the Alliance has done to their unique lore. While I'm sure accepting change is a theme that was carried forward from WC3, I think that the direction the Night Elves took ultimately were done to serve gameplay more than lore. Even the Forsaken has managed to retain their identity within the Horde, but the Night Elves really had to have their entire society changed to fit in the Alliance.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-08-29 at 06:35 PM.

  2. #82
    A dead one. They are vile selfish creatures twisting magics in an attempt to become immortal again.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    A dead one. They are vile selfish creatures twisting magics in an attempt to become immortal again.
    Didn't they only do that ones.. and it can't be described as twisting magic at all.

  4. #84
    Scarab Lord Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,298
    Fierce and vengeful like Maiev and Illidan but also magic wielders and Moonguard or Highborne, who feel their shit don't stink. That's my favorite type of elf. Any elf that doesn't think they're better than everyone else is stuck with a human characterization and instantly a bore. They're like mentally and aesthetically superior by design, how can they not have the mentality?

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Didn't they only do that ones.. and it can't be described as twisting magic at all.
    Almost every sub group of elves is now or was addicted to some sort of magic and did horrible things to keep chasing that dragon. They are all junkies. San'layn, Sin'dorei, Quel'dorei, Shal'dorei, Ren'dorei and Kaldorei all fall into this. Dorei really just means junkie or fool at this point.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Almost every sub group of elves is now or was addicted to some sort of magic and did horrible things to keep chasing that dragon. They are all junkies. San'layn, Sin'dorei, Quel'dorei, Shal'dorei, Ren'dorei and Kaldorei all fall into this. Dorei really just means junkie or fool at this point.
    Not really.. As of present, all the elves, Kaldorei, Quel'dorei, Shal'dorei, High elf (quel'dorei) - have all being cured of addiction. Sin'dorei also don't have an addiction problem any longer.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Not really.. As of present, all the elves, Kaldorei, Quel'dorei, Shal'dorei, High elf (quel'dorei) - have all being cured of addiction. Sin'dorei also don't have an addiction problem any longer.
    No such thing as an ex addict, they are just dry drunks. Each one of those groups are either currently or have done some of the worst things in lore to get their high. Due to their age almost every living elf is a murder of masses. They are one of if not the worst and most destructive group in the game. No other group goes as all in on the idea of the ends justifying the means or straight out selfishness and apathy for others as the elves do. @Mace Lets not forget that Naga and Satyrs are elves that took it too far too. There are plenty of other examples of large groups of elves that corrupted themselves or others because of their cravings for power. Elves should be purged from Azeroth.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2019-08-31 at 02:28 AM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I see a lot of the horde belf fans have voted, all of a sudden, the druidic order leap frogs the highborne Moonguard order a bit exacerbated by those orders being the least well known for the kaldorei amongst the game only fans.

    But that's okay, I just needed to confirm that most of the horde blood elf fans want the night elves as forest elves. Looks like you were right. Sorry to say but that crowd is some of the most possessive and jealous bunch in wow. They hate high elves to be playable on the alliance, and they dont want the magical side of the night elves to be available to the race , because they want it exclusively on their faction. So the horde gets the high fly magic and civilization of both elven groups while the alliance gets only the wood elf stuff for both night elves and high elves.

    Consistently at the top has been the Prder of Elune, despite its popularity from WC3, it is nowmlagging behind the other groups in terms of exposure. However 8.1 was mainly about them, hence their predictable rise in popularity.

    I was surprised that the demon hunters were so low at first, not surprised at the wardens who were a distant lady, but sadly the results are skewed by jealous horde blood elf fans who have piled on and voted for everything but the highborne/Moonguard order. The number of votes to the druids , wardens and demon hunters rose by the exact same amount, while the highborne order did not rise.

    This is a targeted sabotage, and I know who is behind it..I will just say to them, no matter how you pile on votes like this to skew results, you cant stop how popular the nightborne or night elf highborne is..showing the night elven arcane civilization is hugely popular.

    What a lot of the biased fools dont realise is that the popularity of the nightborne and the night elf mage.

    The metric for the earlier sample was consistent with my predictions
    The vote bomb tampering also exposed the horde nelf players
    Despite the tampering, I got to see how truly popular things were, night elven arcana is more popular than druidsm, the Order of Elune is surprisingly the most popular, Illidan/Maiev characters are more popular than I thought they would be - I should have added Famdral Staghelm/Queen Azshara.
    I noticed forests had a slim lead, but they got a massive boost in line with the horde belf fan vote bump, I estimate their like is still the most popular, but not by the margin the pole currently shows.

    To be honest Here is how I feel.

    1. Ilildan /Maiev character template is the most popular not because no one likes the Tyrande/Evenshade mould or the Malfurion/Farondis mould of night elf, it's cos theyre tired of the night elves being so passive and walk overs - the more aggressive/angry types are going to be the ones desired cos fans are sick of the fial.

    Also after Teldrassil, they feel that sort of attitude is the best.


    2. Elune Order is the most popular because it's hot female chicks - which most boys like, feminists would also like that because the women are powerful, and Lesbians would also like that b/c it's a near all female raid. I also agree WC3 makes them more popular, but they also have a bit more mystery, I think people have been tired of duridsm.

    it is interesting you observe that druidsm/wardens/Illidari were all below the arcane order till a rush happened. If only you had disclosed the identities of the votes, we could seen how many horde belf players voted for it as you described.

    Now I don't know about your findings here, but I suspect it is true - horde belf fans I noticed are very against the night elves having any of Kaldorie arcane aspects. they feel it is too similar to the blood elves - but that's nonsense. It isn't that similar at all, and that's like saying humans shouldn't have the aracane because it is too similar to the blood elves - but they don't say that. I think i'ts an elf jealously thing. I also noticed this position coming up after the nightborne joined the horde.

    The better argument would be saying that it would be too similar to the nightborne - but I disagree strongly b/c it is like saying you shouldn't have high elves because they're too similar to blood elves - which is rubbish, the game is big enough and more realistic with both high elves and blood elves than with just one of the others. Also it is silly because the night elves also have the strong Druidic and Elune orders which when you add highborne arcana, actually makes the night elves overall feel different from the nightborne, even though hgihborne and nightborne are identical. So you may have similar looking architecture when it comes to cities and racial assets, but the feel is different.

    Especially if you model the kaldorei highborne after the Farondis type noble benevolent people, who the hgihborne were before they got addicted and super arrogant from Azshara's favour.. like Farondis managed to hold on to being despite most of his caste , especially the executive branch at the palace becoming dark ike they were.

    3. Temples and Cities should really have been one option, because they are "civilization" parameters and in the pre-sundering era, every city would have temples. It is also possible that temples had small towns surrounding them of similar architecture.

    If you add the two results, it is no surprise the city/temple architecture is more popular. Forests are always cool, but it is insane for people to think that cities aren't needed or liked. They did beautiful city architecture for night elves when you see old versions like Darnassus and newer upgraded versions like Surmar and Zin'Azshari warbringers .. who wouldn't like that?

    I have noticed some people really like the forest home thing - which is fine for in the forests, but not for ALL the night elves, but again I have noticed only horde belf fans pushing hard for the forest theme to be the ONLY one available to the night elves. It's the same childish competitive behaviour that had people wanting the deves to buff their faction over anyone elses, or their class - which was common in topics during Classic to Cataclysm era. I think the same attitude is coming out in those Belf fans. The night elf stuff looks nice, and they're fine with it on the horde with the nightborne, but not on the alliance, for no other reason than jealousy.

    Yet that's exactly what the night elves need.

  9. #89
    Your poll options are all irrelevant. The thing that makes Nelves good is how they were written in Wc3. Which order they happened to come from was of little consequence.

    Conversely, what makes them bad is how they were written since then.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    Your poll options are all irrelevant. The thing that makes Nelves good is how they were written in Wc3. Which order they happened to come from was of little consequence.

    Conversely, what makes them bad is how they were written since then.
    That's your opinion, but night elves had a lot about them written that wasn't shown in WC3 too.. The War of the Ancients was been written when Warcraft 3 and wow were in development.

    What you saw of the night elves in WC3 was just a side of them that is totally them, what yous aw in wow classic was another aspect of them not seen much in Wc3, that is also totally them, and what you saw in legion and cata with mages, highborne, nightorne, demon hunters etc, was also another part of them from as far back as 2002 that took nearly 18 years to show up in game.

    The beauty of all this is that you can choose which aspect of the night elves you like and enjoy that. Same with humans or any other rrace.

    why people feel that when it comes to elves - only 1 thing must define them, especially if there are other elf groups .. this is really regressive and smacks of old fantasies where writers and developers couldn't be bothered to flesh out other races aside from humans - now Warcraft does that, I intend to appreciate it to the max.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    No such thing as an ex addict, they are just dry drunks. Each one of those groups are either currently or have done some of the worst things in lore to get their high. Due to their age almost every living elf is a murder of masses. They are one of if not the worst and most destructive group in the game. No other group goes as all in on the idea of the ends justifying the means or straight out selfishness and apathy for others as the elves do. @Mace Lets not forget that Naga and Satyrs are elves that took it too far too. There are plenty of other examples of large groups of elves that corrupted themselves or others because of their cravings for power. Elves should be purged from Azeroth.
    I don't think given the nature of arcane sources and that of alcohol or drugs that you can call it the same. It has some aspects that are alike, for example you can understand addiction to substance if you are around drug/alcohol abusers, gives you a rough idea in terms of how difficult to wean off. but that's where the similarities end.

    Those addicted to magic don't necessarily behave in bad or destructive ways, furthermore, arcane isn't like drugs at all. the arcane actually improves your health, a closer comparison would be food addiction - Fel magic would be more like drugs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    To be honest Here is how I feel.

    1. Ilildan /Maiev character template is the most popular not because no one likes the Tyrande/Evenshade mould or the Malfurion/Farondis mould of night elf, it's cos theyre tired of the night elves being so passive and walk overs - the more aggressive/angry types are going to be the ones desired cos fans are sick of the fial.

    Also after Teldrassil, they feel that sort of attitude is the best.


    2. Elune Order is the most popular because it's hot female chicks - which most boys like, feminists would also like that because the women are powerful, and Lesbians would also like that b/c it's a near all female raid. I also agree WC3 makes them more popular, but they also have a bit more mystery, I think people have been tired of duridsm.

    it is interesting you observe that druidsm/wardens/Illidari were all below the arcane order till a rush happened. If only you had disclosed the identities of the votes, we could seen how many horde belf players voted for it as you described.

    Now I don't know about your findings here, but I suspect it is true - horde belf fans I noticed are very against the night elves having any of Kaldorie arcane aspects. they feel it is too similar to the blood elves - but that's nonsense. It isn't that similar at all, and that's like saying humans shouldn't have the aracane because it is too similar to the blood elves - but they don't say that. I think i'ts an elf jealously thing. I also noticed this position coming up after the nightborne joined the horde.

    The better argument would be saying that it would be too similar to the nightborne - but I disagree strongly b/c it is like saying you shouldn't have high elves because they're too similar to blood elves - which is rubbish, the game is big enough and more realistic with both high elves and blood elves than with just one of the others. Also it is silly because the night elves also have the strong Druidic and Elune orders which when you add highborne arcana, actually makes the night elves overall feel different from the nightborne, even though hgihborne and nightborne are identical. So you may have similar looking architecture when it comes to cities and racial assets, but the feel is different.

    Especially if you model the kaldorei highborne after the Farondis type noble benevolent people, who the hgihborne were before they got addicted and super arrogant from Azshara's favour.. like Farondis managed to hold on to being despite most of his caste , especially the executive branch at the palace becoming dark ike they were.

    3. Temples and Cities should really have been one option, because they are "civilization" parameters and in the pre-sundering era, every city would have temples. It is also possible that temples had small towns surrounding them of similar architecture.

    If you add the two results, it is no surprise the city/temple architecture is more popular. Forests are always cool, but it is insane for people to think that cities aren't needed or liked. They did beautiful city architecture for night elves when you see old versions like Darnassus and newer upgraded versions like Surmar and Zin'Azshari warbringers .. who wouldn't like that?

    I have noticed some people really like the forest home thing - which is fine for in the forests, but not for ALL the night elves, but again I have noticed only horde belf fans pushing hard for the forest theme to be the ONLY one available to the night elves. It's the same childish competitive behaviour that had people wanting the deves to buff their faction over anyone elses, or their class - which was common in topics during Classic to Cataclysm era. I think the same attitude is coming out in those Belf fans. The night elf stuff looks nice, and they're fine with it on the horde with the nightborne, but not on the alliance, for no other reason than jealousy.

    Yet that's exactly what the night elves need.
    Well, tbh, the priestess of Elune is an integeral part of pre-sundering civilization, it's not the same without them.


    This is the one area that nightborne civilization differs. While the ifluence of the priesthood in the psychie of the nightborne might still exist, the Order is absent.. so they aren't a true mirror of kaldorei society in the pre-sundering era, just the arcane/highborne dominated side of it.

    in this the nKaldorei have true potential to be unique even in acivilziation setting, because they'd have their highborne and priesthood operating as a society or potentially could, with priesthood influences, the arcane kaldorei would definitely feel a lot more different than the blood elf one.

    the druidic influence would also make them look different, add lots of green spaces like in Zin'Azshari warbringers or Suramr, then add ancients and druids tending the parks, and you get the influence of that side of the ngiht elves.

    The nightborne have these two elements missing. that's fine, they are an allied race, they're only suppose to be showing a part of the kaldorei, not the whole. For the whole you need the nighte lves, there you will get the arcane civilziaiton as wella s the druidic culture and the PRiesthood involvement.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post
    Did you ever check her writing and actions in tft? In all of these she just comes off as thirsting for malfurion 24/7
    That's perfectly normal for a night elf to worship someone like Malfurion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    Your poll options are all irrelevant. The thing that makes Nelves good is how they were written in Wc3. Which order they happened to come from was of little consequence.

    Conversely, what makes them bad is how they were written since then.
    With the faction system they had no choice but to make the Night Elves part of the Alliance and turn them into purple High Elves. Therefore you can forget the Wc3 Night Elves.
    Same way they chose to put Blood Elves in Horde to balance the population (and that worked well).
    Last edited by eurojust; 2019-09-01 at 03:18 PM.

  12. #92
    It doesn't matter, at this point. Blizzard continues to shit on the night elves, and at this point I'm just too tired of the story to stick with them through any more of it.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    why people feel that when it comes to elves - only 1 thing must define them, especially if there are other elf groups .. this is really regressive and smacks of old fantasies where writers and developers couldn't be bothered to flesh out other races aside from humans - now Warcraft does that, I intend to appreciate it to the max.
    The only thing that is regressive is the writing they've since received, such as, for instance, the unforgivable sin of just sort of making them be okay with mages. No, fuck that, you don't just overcome a ten-thousand year long bias in the form of a deliberately organized culture in the span of a few years because "well the humans are doing it and nothing too bad has happened yet, except for that one time a formerly human mage summoned Archimonde again. Let's forget that happened instead of demanding our new allies cease and desist."

    I'd have no complaints if their writing since W3 was actually good, but it isn't. They do not live up to their potential, not in books - least of all Knaak's - or ingame. Vanilla did them the most justice, but was still insufficient.

  14. #94
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,807
    My favorite elf, is a dead elf. Hate them all equally, Night, Blood, Void AND Nightborne..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  15. #95
    I prefer a scorched one after the meeting with Sylvannas.

    Also - there is the stereotypical rumor:

    People who perfers elfs are usally unattractive and low-selfesteem people who compensate.

    People who perfers less "elegant" races are also people, who are not in a need to look pretty.
    Last edited by 12yoPlayedSinceClassic; 2019-09-03 at 11:57 AM.

  16. #96
    Pit Lord Darknessvamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hour of Twilight, Caverns of Time
    Posts
    2,444
    Do Goldshire Elves count? It's entertaining to poke fun at them.
    There's this horrible realisation that BfA could all just be a fever dream caused by Argus cleaving us.
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

  17. #97
    Where's the option for I'd love to play a female Night Elf if they'd just stop hopping up and down like a moron?

  18. #98
    A dead one
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I have never once in my life trolled or tried to troll anyone.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
    A dead one
    I prefer a hot one.

  20. #100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •