Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlz View Post
    So 0 points into Cruelty? No option of running the impale / prot build (still has shield slam, not fury prot)? You're gonna have a bad time.....
    My plan is to put few points into arms, so I can have 10 rage on stance switch (it's essential for my play style, as I want to charge, TC, then switch stance to def, than periodically switch to battle to thunderclap again, and I don't want to lose rage or stay in battle stance more than necessary), then full def talents, then the rest I'm not sure. Not 100% prot, of course.

You tank as Fury/Arms untill 60! Even they you keep tanking as that spec not in the raids!

Skarm showed if you use Armor potion you can actually tank with 2 hander or two one hands. He even tanks Naxx as fury without SHIELD...

I am leveling as a warrior in dugeon we will be 2 warriors specced Arms/Sweeping strikes and aoe everything with the rest of the group. Untill BRD probably u dont really need a shield. You put it for encounters sometimes with a macro to survive ...

If you level as a protection you are a noob and even worse.. You will probably be slow as hell in teh dungeons and put even ready checks.. Thats way the in the past dungeons were slow as hell

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played 3 60s in Vanilla Warrior, Hunter then Mage in that order. It is all a matter of preference really if you enjoy those talents then go for it. Groups that are trying to speed level and clear might avoid you but the average player won't care. Just remember back in Vanilla a shaman could tank dungeons while leveling they were probably the worse because they suffered more than paladins from mana issues but they could.

I played alliance so I never had a shaman tank for my just heard from friends that played Horde. But as alliance a Paladin throwing on a shield would put out more AoE threat than any warrior once they get consecration. If you had a good healer you could 2H tank as either a paladin or warrior. Druids were less common to tank but were still decent at it. All in all any class with tanking talents, can generate extra threat and hold a shield or boost their armor can tank dungeons leveling up. The difference is a druid needs to spec feral to do enough threat while both paladins and warriors can spec dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    Hello guys , I wonder if is possible to leveling as protection warrior in classic . So i could so some dungeons on the way to 60. But i don’t know if it’s possible to do quests or will take me hours for each one .
    Two things to keep in mind:
    1) You will be immortal, but everything will take forever to die.
    2) You're going to want to keep Cooking and First Aid maxed for your level to minimize downtime.

Those out of the way, you can tank just fine as Arms or Fury for most of the leveling game. You get most of your must-have tanking skills and cooldowns off the class trainer, not your spec/talent build like in retail. You just need a shield, good armor, and basic tanking know-how. A warrior will have no troubles whatsoever finding dungeon groups as you level. Back when I first played, I practically lived in Scarlet Monastery until everything turned grey; walked out with a kickass armor set and a cool tabard.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    My plan is to put few points into arms, so I can have 10 rage on stance switch (it's essential for my play style, as I want to charge, TC, then switch stance to def, than periodically switch to battle to thunderclap again, and I don't want to lose rage or stay in battle stance more than necessary), then full def talents, then the rest I'm not sure. Not 100% prot, of course.
    Do you just really like the Thunderclap animation or is there a better reason for doing that which I'm unaware of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Hello guys , I wonder if is possible to leveling as protection warrior in classic . So i could so some dungeons on the way to 60. But i don’t know if it’s possible to do quests or will take me hours for each one .
    possible? yes, of course. necessary for you to be able to tank dungeons? absolutely no. in fact, you will get only disadvantages (mainly loosing a considerable amount of a time) speccing into prot before serious raiding. going prot to tank during lvling is obsolete, you can hold aggro in arms/fury much better, and dmg mitigation is still the same as you were prot.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    itsa gonna bea slow unless you group and chain dungeons which imo is a piss poor boring way to play vanilla.

I just dont see the point when playing 2h Fury is so much faster and youll still be expected to tank dungeons up to the lv 40 (at least) range regardless of your spec

No point. You can pretty much tank through BWL as DPS spec

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    If at any point I'll feel forced to spec to DPS talents for raid tanking, I, personally, will stop playing. I thought about vanilla as a good design where tanks tank, healers heal and DPS dps. If it's the same shit like in retail, where tanks dps, healers dps, dps cry, then I'm out.
    The important part of tanking is to produce sufficient amounts of threat to always keep the mobs/bosses focused on you. That means as long as you're not dying, you should do everything in your power to produce as much dps as possible. You know what the best possible tanking spec is in vanilla for high-end raiding? 0/32/19, there is nothing to gain from putting more than those points into prot, and it's by far the best build for producing threat with some offensive gearing.

Just to clarify: Threat matters a lot in classic, it's really not that hard to produce more threat than any tank. Thats why it's so important for tanks to produce as much threat as possible, as they dictate how much dps the raid can potentially do. But tanks arent going to do any meaningfull dps regardless, at best they'll do 1/3 of the dps an actual dmg dealer does.
    Last edited by Grimreaper; 2019-08-19 at 03:19 PM.

You don't need to. Just build a tanking set (defense items) and tank in arms/fury spec. You will be able to tank everything up until raids just fine, and even then you can off-tank just fine with the correct gear.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Do you just really like the Thunderclap animation or is there a better reason for doing that which I'm unaware of?
    Attack speed debuff. Also TPS. I've heard about shouts being more TPS, but I don't believe it until I check it, because when I tanked back then, nobody did that, you stance danced and thunderclapped to keep aoe aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Cleared BWL one night with our MT in DPS spec. Not saying that's like...ez pz, he was super geared, and it was a farm night, but my point is that in terms of tuning, Classic/Vanilla is so easy that you can often tank in DPS arms spec. Furthermore, someone said tanking in dps spec was fine until UBRS - you can easily tank UBRS in dps spec if u have ok gear.
    That's the thing, gear is the only thing that matters in Classic.

But if you are in leveling greens/random blues, then LBRS/UBRS can be tough on first runs in DPS spec, most notably if you are missing the 1 point in Imp. Shield Block.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    That's the thing, gear is the only thing that matters in Classic.

But if you are in leveling greens/random blues, then LBRS/UBRS can be tough on first runs in DPS spec, most notably if you are missing the 1 point in Imp. Shield Block.
    100% Correct, Gear is everything

All this talk about min/max and spirt food, youtube guides etc is exactly why I dont think I will do much with classic. Classic was awesome because it was new and an adventure, never knowing what was coming up next. Its too easy today and I think the thrill will be lacking. I am happy for those that are excited though, I just dont think I will be one of them.

Attack speed debuff. Also TPS. I've heard about shouts being more TPS, but I don't believe it until I check it, because when I tanked back then, nobody did that, you stance danced and thunderclapped to keep aoe aggro.
    Well you're gonna be wrong. It doesn't take advanced mathematics to tell you that swapping from defensive stance to use an ability that is no longer modified by increased threat (cause you're in battle stance) is gonna be worse than an aoe threat ability you can spam in defensive stance. Not to mention you're trying to slow the attack speed of mobs which means you get hit less and then get less rage to do anything. All this causes you to loose aggro and cause more damage than you ever would have prevented with thunderclap.
    Last edited by evermynd; 2019-08-20 at 12:30 AM.

level as fury, use you one free respec to go prot at 60. You are able to tank fine as a fury warrior past 60 into raiding.

I played a warrior full spec tank from 1-60 in vanilla and it was fun to do, if you are not a speedy one, you will have fun doing it

I leveled prot from 1-60 back in the day. Will do the same now, not comfortable tanking arms.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    I leveled prot from 1-60 back in the day. Will do the same now, not comfortable tanking arms.
    why when its exactly the same buttons until level 40 and even then you only get shield slam and a stun. as long as your group isnt full of turds you should be fine without the extra threat talent and the faster taunt talent. I dont see the point in making everything slower

Honestly, actually speccing deep prot before raids is probably a waste in general. You can tank all the 5 mans with 31 points into fury easily.