Mage - Classic - mana

First of all - not sure, but can I ask mage questing for classic wow here?

If so, here it is:

1 - I'm lvl 41 and wondering if I'm doing something wrong regarding mana. I have very decent dps up until I go oom. Especially during trash, if the tanks keep pulling without like a second between pulls I'm unable to stop and drink to refill. Even if they give me time, it feels pretty bad in comparison to melees where they just keep going while I'm sitting drinking mana. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it goes in vanilla?

2 - dps wise for aoe (frost spec), usually when there's 3 mobs in dungeons I cone of cold and proceed to frost bolt till cone of cold is back. If more 4+ mobs I spam blizzard while weaving a cone of cone in between. This is very mana intensive too and forces a long time drinking after. Is there a better way?

3 - fireblast, do you guys use it at all (i.e. assuming you don't have to move)? Is it a dps gain weaving fireblasts between your frostbolts?

I know, this is classic and its not max level. But still, wanna run those questions by you.

I didn't really play much mage in Vanilla, got him to about your level back then but from what I remember:

1: If you aren't using your wand, start using that in there when mobs are below half/quarter life (depending on how fast mobs are dying) to save a bit of mana (non-aoe pulls). AOE pulls keep your normal AOE. Try to drink the instant you are out of combat and stay as far back as you can in case they pull within seconds of exiting combat, you might get lucky and not engage allowing you to finish drinking. Don't be afraid to use evocate unless you are close to a boss and think you will need it during the fight.

2: you are probably ok with what you are doing for 3 mob AOE pulls, but 4+ i would just recommend blizzard only.

3: For what I understand you really don't use fireblast unless the target is about to die and you dont have enough time to get off another frostbolt. It's more of a DPS padding method though so not necessary. If you are weaving it between other casts you might pull higher numbers on short fights but longer fights you are just wasting mana and essentially more DPS if you run oom.

In the end you shouldn't really concern yourself too much just yet unless your group is finding respawns heavily in dungeons. Better to be efficient than to be OOM and only wanding half of the dungeon, and most good groups will pace it well enough to allow regen while completing in a good time.

So I did start wanding a lot earlier, i.e. when mobs around 50% and also skipped on the fire blast (unless moving or requiring a quick mob finish) and things did flow a lot better. Less drinking and still manage to keep a decent dps uptime. Thanks!

Also make sure you grab the icefury wand from the class quest if you haven't yet. It's quite good.

You will soon have some talent point's into clearcasting, having a free blizzard helps alot.

First of all i went for full spirit gear until 50 and when i mean full spirit it means full spirit even vs intelect not only vs stamina.

For aoe its mostly coc flamestrike AE, not many blizzards, i do use blizzard when its needed for slow, to let tank kite a bit, get some breathing in between.

I use aoe when there are 3 4 mobs and when they will be alive for the entire duration, i try never to get under 33% mana, just incase something happens. I wand a lot ...

im arround that lvl, and i have 2 set of gear, for single target im using frost damage gear, i have right now around 139+ frost damage, my normal lvl 7 frostbolt does from 220 to 270, plus the bonus i can hit around 400 to 430, doing that i cast a lot less frostbolts and stuff die faster, and for aoe i have a full int build since for aoe you are going to run out of mana either way, but with a lot of int, you have a chance to cast more blizzards or arcane explotions, but yes, i struggle too, you can find an addon for the energy ticks of mana regen, and you can do the eat mana move, eat mana move way, that help you regenerate mana faster, since we make our own food, but for that you need to be out of combat, so for dungeons some times dosent work.

A little bit late but.

1. Yes, you will spend 80% of your time drinking in Classic. It is pretty nice in dungeons though as it gives your tanks time to build threat before you come in.

2. For AoE you should use arcane explosion unless the slow is actually needed for kiting. If you want to go the extra mile, you can use arcane explosion to fish clearcasting procs and use those procs for blizzards. Arcane explosions blows blizzard out of the water for AoE damage and has the added benefit of 40% threat reduction instead of 30%.

3. Sometimes. It is really mana inefficient but it deals high dps considering it is an instant cast. So it depends on the situation.