10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Successes of the ACA 5 Years Later

Despite it's flaws, despite it's not having a public option, it has substantially reduced inequities in the health care system:

Five years after the Affordable Care Act took effect, the health-insurance overhaul has narrowed coverage gaps between the rich and poor, according to new research.

The health-care law erased 44% of the coverage gap between many poor Americans without health insurance and the few rich Americans without it, according to a study the National Bureau of Economic Research distributed on Monday. The law’s provisions, especially its broadening of Medicaid programs, closed coverage gap between whites and minorities by 27%.

Coverage disparities shrank by 45% between married and non-married Americans and by 44% across age groups, according to U.S. Census Bureau data crunched by researchers at University of Kentucky, the University of Pennsylvania and Georgia State University.

It’s one of the most ambitious downward redistributions of wealth ever passed by the US Congress, which is why Oligarchs and Republicans hate it I suppose.
    I'm just happy that people that were needlessly suffering due to preexisting conditions finally got coverage.

What happens in the next 5 years?
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Trump unilaterally ends it, his packed SCOTUS upholds it, and by extension takes health insurance from millions and kills thousands.

The end.

The patient protections and Medicaid expansion have been undoubtedly successful, but some of the other parts have had mixed results. Ironically, the Individual Mandate, which was good policy, was catastrophic politically, whereas the employer mandate, which was politically necessary, is terrible policy.

In the next five years? Depends on who wins elections. I’m skeptical about the success chances of that lawsuit, so I don’t know how much of a factor it will be, and M4A is in all likelihood more than five years away from getting anywhere in the Senate (and probably in the House too). So...if the GOP does well? Probably not much happens. They have no interest in healthcare policy and it’s a good bet that they don’t want another bite at the apple after their last attempt. If Dems win...a public option? Maybe Medicare gets lowered to 55 too?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The patient protections and Medicaid expansion have been undoubtedly successful, but some of the other parts have had mixed results. Ironically, the Individual Mandate, which was good policy, was catastrophic politically, whereas the employer mandate, which was politically necessary, is terrible policy.
    Political consideration often clashes with expertly laid plans.

Hungary's then government tried to overhaul our entire health care around 2006. It was necessary; the system is unchanged from the Communist era, it leaks money everywhere and it is downright feudal in places.

The overhaul package included a 300 HUF fee (around $ 1.1-$1.2) for the first visit to a general practicioner every month to cut down on frivolous visits. That alone was enough to doom the whole thing; the then opposition latched onto it, jointly with the doctors' lobby, initiated a referendum about it and having whipped the population into a frenzy, managed to sink that provision. Now the overhaul could have proceeded without that provision, but the populists have turned "healthcare reform" into a swear word, it has lost legitimacy and the government dropped it. All that over a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump unilaterally ends it, his packed SCOTUS upholds it, and by extension takes health insurance from millions and kills thousands.

The end.
    Well the good news if you want to call it that is the people this will affect the most voted for Trump so they screwed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Well the good news if you want to call it that is the people this will affect the most voted for Trump so they screwed themselves.
    This is only good news if those people both become sick enough to understand their folly, and remain healthy enough to vote for a period of time afterwards. Many will die too quickly for their epiphanies to produce any positive change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Despite it's flaws, despite it's not having a public option, it has substantially reduced inequities in the health care system:

It’s one of the most ambitious downward redistributions of wealth ever passed by the US Congress, which is why Oligarchs and Republicans hate it I suppose.
    I'm just happy that people that were needlessly suffering due to preexisting conditions finally got coverage.

Who would of guessed progressive legislation does more for the people of this country than whatever bullshit fake alternative conservatives are trying to sell to the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

They hate it because a black Democrat passed the law. The GOP designed the ACA. The entire basis of their opposition is who passed it, not what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    This is only good news if those people both become sick enough to understand their folly, and remain healthy enough to vote for a period of time afterwards. Many will die too quickly for their epiphanies to produce any positive change.
    If it's repealed, I know exactly what industry I'm investing in.

They even sell them at Costco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The funny thing is that people in the states think that the ACA is a left wing healthcare plan and when you explain the history of it all they start to get that it was a ill fated attempt at bi-partisanship. Obama if i recall actually ran on the idea of a public option, i was out of the nation at that period so it is likely i am mistaken so i was relying on SKY for the American political information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They hate it because a black Democrat passed the law. The GOP designed the ACA. The entire basis of their opposition is who passed it, not what it is.
    It was the GOP/heritage counter to Hillary care in the 90s.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi