Sony acquired Insomniac

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...26820265750529

So yea for anyone who was holding out hope Spider-Man was getting ported anywhere or that there would be a Sunset Overdrive 2 on the next Xbox, not happening lol.

Sony Interactive Entertainment acquires Insomniac Games

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/sony-int...nsomniac-games

Sony Interactive Entertainment has acquired Insomniac Games, the company announced. The Burbank-based developer is now part of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios.

Insomniac Games developed the Ratchet & Clank series, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Sunset Overdrive, and more.
    Get the full press release below.
    Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”) announced today that SIE has entered into definitive agreements to acquire Insomniac Games, Inc. (“Insomniac Games”), a leading game developer and long-time partner of SIE, in its entirety. Insomniac Games is the developer of PlayStation 4’s (PS4™) top-selling Marvel’s Spider-Man and the hugely popular PlayStation Ratchet & Clank franchise. Upon completion of the acquisition, Insomniac Games will join the global development operation of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios (“SIE WWS”). Insomniac Games is the 14th studio to join the SIE WWS family. This addition furthers SIE’s continued commitment to creative excellence and innovation in game development exclusively for the PlayStation platforms.

Based in Burbank, California, and Durham, North Carolina, Insomniac Games is the award-winning studio behind many of PlayStation’s most highly-successful franchises, including Spryo the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance. Most recently, Insomniac Games, in partnership with SIE and Marvel Games, launched Marvel’s Spider-Man, one of 2018’s most highly-acclaimed PS4 games. Marvel’s Spider-Man has sold through more than 13.2 million copies worldwide as of July 28, 2019.

In addition to the studio’s signature storytelling infused with humor and highly interactive worlds, Insomniac Games has been recognized for its collaborative workplace culture, having earned 20 awards since 2005.

Building on a working relationship between Insomniac Games and SIE spanning more than 20 years, this acquisition enhances the creative force within SIE WWS and formally adds a studio to the PlayStation family that continues to raise the bar on open world, story-driven games. The day-to-day operations of Insomniac Games post-closing of the acquisition are expected to be run by the current management team in conjunction with SIE WWS San Mateo Studio. Completion of the acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals and certain other closing conditions. Financial terms of this transaction including the acquisition cost are not disclosed due to contractual commitments.

“Insomniac Games is one of the most highly-acclaimed development studios in the industry and their legacy of best-in class storytelling and gameplay is unparalleled,” said Shawn Layden, Chairman, SIE WWS. “We have enjoyed a strong collaborative partnership with the studio for many years, and are thrilled to officially welcome them to the Worldwide Studios family. The addition of Insomniac Games to SIE WWS reiterates our commitment to developing world class gaming experiences that can only be found on the PlayStation platform.”

“Joining the WWS family gives Insomniac even greater opportunities to achieve our studio vision of making positive and lasting impressions on people’s lives,” said Ted Price, Insomniac Games founder and CEO. “We’ve enjoyed a special relationship with PlayStation practically since our inception. Our partnership amplifies our potential, and Marvel’s Spider-Man was a testament to this. We’re excited to take the next step in our growth alongside our longtime WWS partners. Most of all, we look forward to delivering fresh, new experiences for our fans.”
    Awesome to see but honestly not surprised. I hope at some point in the future we get a Sunset Overdrive 2.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It was kind of surprising because Sony has had no trouble working with them for exclusives while they remain independent and Insomniac always mentioned valuing their independence.

Just my baseless speculation but I would wager MS threw them an offer they couldn't refuse and they took it to Sony to see if they could match it which they did. Otherwise why now? They have been making exclusive playstation games on and off for over 2 decades and have a good relationship with Sony so something finally kicked them over the edge. Yea spidey was their biggest success yet, but everyone already knows they will be on board for an exclusive sequel... unless MS got involved and tried to acquire them.

Either way Sony's WWS is basically unmatched at this point when it comes to making SP AAA experiences. If they are just going on an acquisition spree for the sake of it expect Kojima Productions and Bluepoint to be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Either way Sony's WWS is basically unmatched at this point when it comes to making SP AAA experiences. If they are just going on an acquisition spree for the sake of it expect Kojima Productions and Bluepoint to be next.
    I fully expect to see Sony buy more studios because it was reported earlier in the year that they was considering it. With MS buying up studio's left,right and center I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does it to make sure they have as strong of a lineup as they do now.

So I agree I fully expect Kojima Productions and Bluepoint to be next. Also I fully expect Naughty Dog as well if they don't own them already.

I can honestly see there being a bidding war between Sony/MS in the coming years. Seeing how a lot of studio's actually love working with Sony, MS would need to bring a LOT of cash.

Edit: I guess my thread was merged with yours, Didn't see you made one.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I fully expect to see Sony buy more studios because it was reported earlier in the year that they was considering it. With MS buying up studio's left,right and center I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does it to make sure they have as strong of a lineup as they do now.

So I agree I fully expect Kojima Productions and Bluepoint to be next. Also I fully expect Naughty Dog as well if they don't own them already.

I can honestly see there being a bidding war between Sony/MS in the coming years. Seeing how a lot of studio's actually love working with Sony, MS would need to bring a LOT of cash.

Edit: I guess my thread was merged with yours, Didn't see you made one.
    Sony 100% owns Naughty Dog.

Also MS seems to only be able to acquire AA studios that someday, might make a good AAA exclusive but are very much WIP studios. In fact I would go as far to say Insomniac already cancels out every acquisition MS has made from a quality stand point.

I don't think there is much of a bidding war to be had... If MS go's after a studio with deep ties to Sony, Sony will likely just match the offer and they will choose the company they have a great working relationship with instead of the one they don't. I don't think Sony cares how many Obsidian's or Ninja Theories MS acquires but if they went after an Insomniac, Bluepoint, Kojima, etc Sony won't let it happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I feel pretty neutral about the whole thing. Insomniac has a long history with Sony so I don't really see anything changing for them in the long run. They're an incredible developer, Sony is an incredible publisher, so all I expect are great things moving forward.

This is far from surprising. The two companies had a good relationship which brought together the Spider-Man game. With Microsoft trying to buy up studios it is basically do the same for Sony before Microsoft buys them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    This is far from surprising. The two companies had a good relationship which brought together the Spider-Man game. With Microsoft trying to buy up studios it is basically do the same for Sony before Microsoft buys them.
    MS hasn't acquired anyone even close to Insomniac, both from a price and talent stand point.

But seeing as Insomniac and Sony have worked together for 20+ years without them being acquired I do have to assume MS did indeed try to purchase them, which just resulted in them going to Sony instead. Because let's be honest, which company would you rather buy you. The one that gave you complete and total freedom with Spider-Man, Ratchet etc? Or the one that micro-managed Sunset Overdrive and sent it out to die in the holiday season with no marketing?

- - - Updated - - -

So I also see people on other sites talking about some massive bidding war or acquisition fest happening, lol. Spoiler alert: not happening. Especially with people speculating companies like Sega or Square Enix that are nearly as large as Nintendo employees wise being acquired let alone that bologna rumor months back of Sony acquiring Take Two, or a year ago with the MS acquiring EA thing.

Sony will acquire studios that want to be acquired and fit in with WWS, MS might yet buy up a few more still independent AA style studios. That's about it. No big ass publisher is being bought out- the only one that even came close to the brink of that was Capcom and they have completely revived their brand this gen after a terrible previous one. So definitely not on the table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    To be honest I feel pretty neutral about the whole thing. Insomniac has a long history with Sony so I don't really see anything changing for them in the long run. They're an incredible developer, Sony is an incredible publisher, so all I expect are great things moving forward.
    It keeps Insomniac from making games for other consoles...like that one time. We dont speak about that.

Maybe more Ratchet and Clank too? I hope.

I think Sony has the better roster but I'm looking forward to some good competition between Sony and Microsoft.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Maybe more Ratchet and Clank too? I hope.
    Layden said they have full freedom over what games they make, and full control of all their IP. So if they want to make a Ratchet they definitely will lol. Still the studio seems to be in love with Spider-Man and even hand chose him when Marvel offered any IP to them so I would expect a sequel to that before they pump out anything else, especially since the directly set up the sequel already.