Possibly upgrading but need help!

Hey all,

I might be in the market soon to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard and GPU. I currently have an i7 6700k on an MSI Z170 MB with a GTX 980 TI. Now, it's ran every game I have thrown at it since I got my setup a couple years ago perfectly smooth with graphics maxed out but lately I have been running into some problems. For starters some of my games crash. I don't know if its related to my GPU or what but I do know its not my CPU. Temps are solid since I upgraded my cooler to a Noctua NH-D15(MAAAAASSSIVE cooler but awesome temps). Ive also been running into some fps problems. Ive been getting a lot of fps dips in games now, games I used to run perfectly fine like Division 2, FFXIV, Pubg(which crashes every match now) and some others so I don't know if its just my GPU slowly dying a slow death or what. Sorry for the ran but trying to paint a picture.

Long story short, is my CPU still a solid viable option currently? Everything I have read says yes, my cpu is still really good. That said, if I do upgrade I'm looking to invest in an i9 9900k with a 2080ti. Is it time to upgrade or should I upgrade my GPU first and see how things go since everything Ive read says my CPU is still solid?

Any help/suggestions is much appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on what resolution you play at, I wouldn't upgrade either of those.. Your system should be capable of 1080p144 or 1440p60 with no problems.

You say some games crash? When? In what way? Is it consistent in the same places, or after the same amount of time? Did it start happen after you updated? Does your entire PC go down, or just the game?

Still a fairly beefy rig. Granted, you can't get much beefier than a 9900k/2080ti combo but unless you plan to play in some seriously high resolution you're probably alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Depending on what resolution you play at, I wouldn't upgrade either of those.. Your system should be capable of 1080p144 or 1440p60 with no problems.

You say some games crash? When? In what way? Is it consistent in the same places, or after the same amount of time? Did it start happen after you updated? Does your entire PC go down, or just the game?
    I recently upgraded my ram from 1600 to 3200mhz and turned on XMP. One thing I didn't realize is that I installed my new ram in the wrong slots. Dimm2 and 4 were recommended and I had it in Dimm 3 and 4. I wonder if that may have caused some of my instability issues. Testing it today to see how it runs now that they're installed correctly. I know I ran a benchmark test on my system on Userbenchmark.com and it came back with everything in my system as above average and good but one thing came back bad - My ram(This was before I installed them CORRECTLY). It came back at 4th percentile and it said it could be due to the incorrect installation location, to check and see which dimm they were installed in... I feel like an idiot but I didn't realize my MB had specific spots where the ram had to be installed, not just plug and play. Aside from that, I haven't installed anything in in a few months but only lately have I had stability and FPS issues. It's not an overheating issues either cause I monitor it with 2 different programs and both are similar with what temps its running at.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2019-08-20 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    I recently upgraded my ram from 1600 to 3200mhz and turned on XMP. One thing I didn't realize is that I installed my new ram in the wrong slots. Dimm2 and 4 were recommended and I had it in Dimm 3 and 4. I wonder if that may have caused some of my instability issues.
    I very much doubt it. Using 3 and 4 instead of 2 and 4 means you're running single channel instead of dual channel, so you're getting half of the bandwidth. It will not cause instability, but will just mean you're getting worse performance.
    Testing it today to see how it runs now that they're installed correctly. I know I ran a benchmark test on my system on Userbenchmark.com and it came back with everything in my system as above average and good but one thing came back bad - My ram(This was before I installed them CORRECTLY). It came back at 4th percentile and it said it could be due to the incorrect installation location, to check and see which dimm they were installed in... I feel like an idiot but I didn't realize my MB had specific spots where the ram had to be installed, not just plug and play. Aside from that, I haven't installed anything in in a few months but only lately have I had stability and FPS issues. It's not an overheating issues either cause I monitor it with 2 different programs and both are similar with what temps its running at.
    If you haven't installed anything in a couple months, maybe it's old drivers? It's unlikely but might be the cause. Update windows and your GPU drivers, then see if it still crashes.

I very much doubt it. Using 3 and 4 instead of 2 and 4 means you're running single channel instead of dual channel, so you're getting half of the bandwidth. It will not cause instability, but will just mean you're getting worse performance.

If you haven't installed anything in a couple months, maybe it's old drivers? It's unlikely but might be the cause. Update windows and your GPU drivers, then see if it still crashes.

My drivers are all up to date so that can't be it. Windows updates are all installed, GPU drivers up to date. The only thing I haven't updated in awhile is my motherboard but that's never really been an issue for me. I guess it wouldn't hurt to update them though.

Games that I play or used to play and occasionally go back to have fps issues. For example the Division 2. The game used to run flawlessly for me at 1440p, high settings super smooth. Now that's not the case. I don't know if its an optimization issue within the game itself or my hardware. But certain areas for example my FPS dips into single digits. I know when I would change resolutions in the game my performance would get worse but that may be fixed now that I have my ram seated properly. I tried changing resolutions lastnight in Division 2 and it was fine. But, The Division 2 just doesn't run the same as it used to. FFXIV doesn't run as smooth as it used to. I get a ton of crashes in FFXIV. I get crashes in Division 2, I get crashes in Pubg. Just about any game I play I get crashes. It cannot be a heating issue because I monitor the temps and everything is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you try reseating the GPU too? It's unlikely but it might have some bad contact and lose signal, and reseating it will help with that.

Also, how's the dust in the case?

Can you try reseating the GPU too? It's unlikely but it might have some bad contact and lose signal, and reseating it will help with that.

Also, how's the dust in the case?
    I’ll try reseating it and we how it runs.

As for the dust, dust is good. I dust it often.

I’ll return once I resent the card and test it for a little bit.

I'm still highly interested in purchasing a 2080ti and replacing my 980. Seeing as how my CPU seems to still be pretty solid, I don't need to upgrade that as much just yet. Whats your thoughts on upgrading my 980ti to the 2080ti?
    Last edited by Extremities; 2019-08-20 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went from almost exactly(i had a 1070ti) that to a 9900k and a 2080 ti, it definitely does better but depending on your financials it might not be worth it. If money is no issue then go for it else maybe wait a gen or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ll try reseating it and we how it runs.

As for the dust, dust is good. I dust it often.

I’ll return once I resent the card and test it for a little bit.

I'm still highly interested in purchasing a 2080ti and replacing my 980. Seeing as how my CPU seems to still be pretty solid, I don't need to upgrade that as much just yet. Whats your thoughts on upgrading my 980ti to the 2080ti?
    I did the same upgrade ~9 months ago. If money isn't an issue, it's one hell of a card. But if you don't have ~1000 dollars to throw around, I'd wait until you find out if your current card is actually an issue

I did the same upgrade ~9 months ago. If money isn't an issue, it's one hell of a card. But if you don't have ~1000 dollars to throw around, I'd wait until you find out if your current card is actually an issue
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger and getting the 2080 ti.

If I were to continue using my i7 6700k and pop in the 2080ti, do you think I'd see much of a difference? Obviously the biggest difference would be both the 9900k and 2080 ti together but if I don't need to upgrade my CPU yet and its still somewhat solid, the biggest bang for my buck would be the GPU first no?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger and getting the 2080 ti.

If I were to continue using my i7 6700k and pop in the 2080ti, do you think I'd see much of a difference? Obviously the biggest difference would be both the 9900k and 2080 ti together but if I don't need to upgrade my CPU yet and its still somewhat solid, the biggest bang for my buck would be the GPU first no?
    The 2080ti is roughly twice as powerful as the 980ti, depending on the game. If you're not maxing out your monitors refresh rate, you will notice the difference. If you are maxing it out, then you can turn up some settings.

The 6700k is still a perfectly viable CPU, I wouldn't really upgrade it. At 1440p you won't see much difference between a 6700k and a 9900k with a 2080ti, it's mostly GPU-bound at the higher ends of refresh rates. If you were going for 1080p you'd probably notice more of a difference though

The 2080ti is roughly twice as powerful as the 980ti, depending on the game. If you're not maxing out your monitors refresh rate, you will notice the difference. If you are maxing it out, then you can turn up some settings.

The 6700k is still a perfectly viable CPU, I wouldn't really upgrade it. At 1440p you won't see much difference between a 6700k and a 9900k with a 2080ti, it's mostly GPU-bound at the higher ends of refresh rates. If you were going for 1080p you'd probably notice more of a difference though
    Currently I am not maxing out my refresh rates(144-165). As of late most of my games have been dipping in FPS. FFXIV hovers around 40-70 fps depending on where I am, Apex has been having serious frame issues where a few months ago it was perfectly smooth with zero issues. my other games are also having problems at 1440p so I have to turn them down to 1080 which defeats the purpose of me having my ASUS 165hz monitor. That said I think if I want to utilize my monitor more, getting that 2080ti would be the best bet cause currently most of my games for some reason are starting to struggle at 1440. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2019-08-22 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I am not maxing out my refresh rates(144-165). As of late most of my games have been dipping in FPS. FFXIV hovers around 40-70 fps depending on where I am, Apex has been having serious frame issues where a few months ago it was perfectly smooth with zero issues. my other games are also having problems at 1440p so I have to turn them down to 1080 which defeats the purpose of me having my ASUS 165hz monitor. That said I think if I want to utilize my monitor more, getting that 2080ti would be the best bet cause currently most of my games for some reason are starting to struggle at 1440. I don't know why.
    I'm not really familiar with how graphically intense either of those games are, but I believe Apex Legends is fairly vRAM intensive, so that might be the cause of that.

But really, a 980ti is like, 1070/2060 tier. It's a decent 1440p60 card, but not really anything above that.

I'm not really familiar with how graphically intense either of those games are, but I believe Apex Legends is fairly vRAM intensive, so that might be the cause of that.

But really, a 980ti is like, 1070/2060 tier. It's a decent 1440p60 card, but not really anything above that.
    Well, thats just it, Apex USED to run extremely well for me just a few months ago when it came out. Now, I have to turn everything down just to get a solid FPS. That's why I'm concerned that my GPU either has something wrong with it and/or is dying on me. I don't know. I still need to try reseating it(mentioned I was gonna do it before and still need to to check).

great! CPU still a solid viable option currently? Everything I have read says yes, my cpu is still really good. That said, if I do upgrade I'm looking to invest in an i9 9900k with a 2080ti. Is it time to upgrade or should I upgrade my GPU first and see how things go since everything Ive read says my CPU is still solid?