Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    >that WoD drop.
    and they still think that's a successful model...

  2. #62
    Vanilla WoW did great for a long time all the way up to Wrath of the Lich King because:
    Story Elements:
    • Arthas storyline continues in WOTLK finally.
    • Illidan story continues with an ominous "YOU, ARE NOT, PREPARED!"
    • Lord of the Rings upbeat the mood for Medieval Fantasy worlds which is what Warcraft is.
    • Many elements from Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 present.

    Game elements:
    • Most MMO's are nowhere near as user-friendly at the time.
    • Casuals can just boot up the game and start, find their way one quest at a time.
    • Interesting new art style
    • Easy to learn game that allows you to explore as much as you want.

    This is just scratching the surface when you combine it with the breathtaking and emotionally invested Cinematics! The Wrath of the Lich King cinematic continues where Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne left off, setting the perfect stage for those yearning for the story to continue.


    Setting the stages higher and higher, starting out as nothing but as an adventurer. You finally are slowly but surely recognized as "Hero" during The Burning Crusade which ended in an extremely familiar Outland with focus on the demons & Sin'Dorei. Followed closely by the familiar sight of The Lich King sitting in the Frozen Throne and awakening as the player is excited to become a Death Knight for the first time.

    To answer you. Everything added up, that's why it did so well. It was a magical series of events that worked in favour of Blizzard and they did nothing wrong in tailoring the expansions just like they tailored the Warcraft 3 & The Frozen Throne Campaign.

  3. #63
    Kids play on their phones. People who will sub for classic are the ones who played in vanilla and BC then stopped in Cata or later. Sure, new people will try it out but it won't be the gains like original vanilla.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Why wouldn't they keep growing when Classic is released?
    Of course, in fact the subscriptions will never stop going up as long as they don't release WotLK. They might have to release WotLK intentionally as the subscription number approaches the total population of Earth, as if that happens Blizzard HQ might implode since there's no way for the subscriptions to go up anymore.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Of course, in fact the subscriptions will never stop going up as long as they don't release WotLK. They might have to release WotLK intentionally as the subscription number approaches the total population of Earth, as if that happens Blizzard HQ might implode since there's no way for the subscriptions to go up anymore.
    ahahaha nice one dude. That made me laugh

    Ofcourse the premise of the thread makes no sense.
    Its like saying Playstation One was the best selling console back then...why not release it again?

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Kids play on their phones. People who will sub for classic are the ones who played in vanilla and BC then stopped in Cata or later. Sure, new people will try it out but it won't be the gains like original vanilla.
    Nostalrious average age of players was 17-19Y so you telling that those people were like 8y old when they started playing vannila? Wonder how could afford wow sub fee. Vannila actualy atraced lot and lot of young players what have never played vannila in first place.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Of course, in fact the subscriptions will never stop going up as long as they don't release WotLK. They might have to release WotLK intentionally as the subscription number approaches the total population of Earth, as if that happens Blizzard HQ might implode since there's no way for the subscriptions to go up anymore.
    Except fact that classic and vannila fans do not and will not play wotlk. WOTLk was where it all went wrong with WoW.

    LFG, Welfare gear, Invasive catch up, badges evewhere, faceroll dungeons and raids, difficutly levels. Just no.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    ahahaha nice one dude. That made me laugh

    Ofcourse the premise of the thread makes no sense.
    Its like saying Playstation One was the best selling console back then...why not release it again?
    Becouse owning old ps 1 with wont make you entertained? It is platform to play on not a game.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Wasnt the reason for Vanilla to be so succesfull because it was "Everquest for casuals"?
    That's certainly one reason. The biggest reason is that it was Warcraft. But the casual nature of WoW definitely made it a giant.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Becouse owning old ps 1 with wont make you entertained? It is platform to play on not a game.
    Just trying to say nothing in life is this simple.

    1)was the best
    2)re-release 15 years later
    3)is the best

    Ofcourse that ITS POSSIBLE...but is not that simple.

  9. #69
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    33,120
    Well..even if they did......... you wouldn't get told they did. All there is now are MAU's and it isn't even clear if Blizzard will separate them for current x-pac and Classic servers.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Except fact that classic and vannila fans do not and will not play wotlk. WOTLk was where it all went wrong with WoW.

    LFG, Welfare gear, Invasive catch up, badges evewhere, faceroll dungeons and raids, difficutly levels. Just no.
    .
    Exactly. WotLK was the beginning of the end.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post


    Why wouldn't they keep growing when Classic is released? With an entire new population of gamers, fewer barriers to entry, stable internet now the norm, and with no requirements to buy the boxed game. There have been over 100 million WoW accounts made in WoW's lifetime. Do the math.

    I anticipate that the number of Classic players will only continue to rise as the months go by.
    And? I don't really understand the point of these threads. Congrats man, you have an opinion. So does everyone else...

  12. #72
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,975
    70% of new players didn’t like classics content in wrath and the number is going to be even worse with actual classic game design. Classic isn’t gonna grow once it’s got its base playerbase.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..even if they did......... you wouldn't get told they did. All there is now are MAU's and it isn't even clear if Blizzard will separate them for current x-pac and Classic servers.
    Well, if classic draws the attention of millions.. and keeps them.. i am sure we can expect a shift away from WoW being a casual gamer MMORPG.

    I believe the devs need arguments to cater WoW to what they like most.
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

  14. #74
    Because everyone and his dog who is interested in Classic will be there at launch. I can only see the number declining and that's not really a problem either as long as a stable player base is there for 2 years.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Except fact that classic and vannila fans do not and will not play wotlk. WOTLk was where it all went wrong with WoW.

    LFG, Welfare gear, Invasive catch up, badges evewhere, faceroll dungeons and raids, difficutly levels. Just no.
    Numbers disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Exactly. WotLK was the beginning of the end.
    Numbers disagree.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Becouse owning old ps 1 with wont make you entertained? It is platform to play on not a game.
    Watching paint dry *can* make you entertained, if you're willing, doesn't mean it will become a popular success of an activity.

    Actually look up the reception and sales of the Playstation Classic.


    The point is just because something was successful to X extent in the past, doesn't mean it will be successful in the same way and to the same extent if it is re-released. If anything, because the circumstances are very different. There's simply no way in the current circumstances that Classic engagement will emulate what happened with Vanilla in 2004-2007.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Except fact that classic and vannila fans do not and will not play wotlk. WOTLk was where it all went wrong with WoW.

    LFG, Welfare gear, Invasive catch up, badges evewhere, faceroll dungeons and raids, difficutly levels. Just no.
    That's just like your opinion man.

    Subscription numbers are influenced by an incredible amount of variables, and while you might identify those things as "going wrong", they were very likely meaningless when compared to much bigger factors.

    The truth is that no one really knows how things would work out if WoW had been done different. As far as we know, the gradual change to what WoW is today might've actually slowed down WoW's decay that was inevitable. We just don't know.

    It's ok to not like the direction the game took. I don't. I prefer the Classic style (despite having started playing in WotLK) and I don't like BfA. But that doesn't mean people have to defend bullshit points that make no sense and which only confirmation for is your personal bias.

    Vanilla was a great game (to some people). The current game is still a great game (to some people). We are getting Classic now, it's time to get rid of all the salt.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2019-08-20 at 04:10 PM.

  17. #77
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    >that WoD drop.
    and they still think that's a successful model...
    They dropped the wod model the second legion launched.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post


    Why wouldn't they keep growing when Classic is released? With an entire new population of gamers, fewer barriers to entry, stable internet now the norm, and with no requirements to buy the boxed game. There have been over 100 million WoW accounts made in WoW's lifetime. Do the math.

    I anticipate that the number of Classic players will only continue to rise as the months go by.
    There was also far less competition back then. And just like music, movies, tv shows, etc. People's tastes change. MMO RPGs aren't as popular as they used to be.

  19. #79
    As arguments go for Classic, this is about as retarded as I've seen them get.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Well, if classic draws the attention of millions.. and keeps them.. i am sure we can expect a shift away from WoW being a casual gamer MMORPG.

    I believe the devs need arguments to cater WoW to what they like most.
    Why would it shift away from what it has always been?

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Numbers disagree.


    Numbers disagree.
    They absolutely don't lol. Numbers increased substantially until WotLK where they peaked, and then have slowly dropped since. WoW stopped getting better in WotLK, which is why a lot of people dub it the beginning of the end for WoW, or where it started to go wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •