2v2 Now 20% Dampening Active from Start

Dampening is now 20% from the start of the game, and will start going up instantly which will lead to 40% dampening about 2 ½ minutes in.

I had around 20 games today around 2200 MMR as Holy Paladin + WW Monk, and the playstyle we were forced to play were all cooldowns first 10 seconds, and with crucible of flame, the enemy healer simply couldn't outheal it with dampening from the get go.

All matches are now a zergfest in 2s. Blizzard didn't even give a warning on this, at least i haven't seen it.

Thoughts on this?

I had recently retured from a break and did 2's just yesterday and noticed this. It honestly made the games unfun, even when winning. You really can't afford to play defensive at all at the start, or you risk falling so far behind the game is unwinnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Walozdle View Post
    I had recently retured from a break and did 2's just yesterday and noticed this. It honestly made the games unfun, even when winning. You really can't afford to play defensive at all at the start, or you risk falling so far behind the game is unwinnable.
    Yep. We quickly realized that the defensive route was no longer an option. I'm all in with all cds from the start doing only damage as a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does that mean Disc priest are top dogs again? seeing as they tend to want to win as early as possible

Wasn't this the case since the start of BfA? Did they change it before? Because this is not a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Wasn't this the case since the start of BfA? Did they change it before? Because this is not a new thing.
    I may be remembering wrong, but I thought it still takes a bit to kick in?

I haven't done a huge amount of arenas lately though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Iirc it was like that since the start of BfA.

EDIT: Yea, just found a post on reddit from 2018 where people are discussing dampening starting at 25% in 2s.
    Last edited by Demetrion; 2019-08-20 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    Iirc it was like that since the start of BfA.
    Dampening kicks in very early in 2s, whereas in 3s its much later. But now it's 3 seconds into the match, its already 20%.

My normal holy shock crits went from 67K to 48K from the start of the game. And every single healer we faced could not withstand the damage we were doing to him, which in most cases before they could easily resist the first burst.

I have 300 matches in 2s this season, and nothing felt as useless as healing today.

The normal dampening was like 1 minute into the game, it started counting every 3 seconds or so 1%. Now it's 3 seconds into the match 20%, and already starting to count to 21% after another 3 seconds has passed.

This change is not in 3s however, the dampening kicks in very late as normal and starts at 1%.
    Last edited by Lundhz; 2019-08-20 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundhz View Post
    Dampening is now 20% from the start of the game, and will start going up instantly which will lead to 40% dampening about 2 ½ minutes in.

I had around 20 games today around 2200 MMR as Holy Paladin + WW Monk, and the playstyle we were forced to play were all cooldowns first 10 seconds, and with crucible of flame, the enemy healer simply couldn't outheal it with dampening from the get go.

All matches are now a zergfest in 2s. Blizzard didn't even give a warning on this, at least i haven't seen it.

Thoughts on this?
    Wasn't it always like this since start of BfA?

I don't mind it like this since it makes games quicker, however, they need to reduce it to like 10% when you're going up against double DPS. This shit further buffs comps like Rog/Mage which don't need any more advantages.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Wasn't it always like this since start of BfA?

I don't mind it like this since it makes games quicker, however, they need to reduce it to like 10% when you're going up against double DPS. This shit further buffs comps like Rog/Mage which don't need any more advantages.
    It 100% was like this at least throughout season 2, I'm not sure if maybe there was some change with S3 and now they went back.

This has been the case for a very long time now. It was implemented in 2017.
    Probably because the nature of 2v2 and games naturally dragging out forever with how some comps can stay alive forever.
    Doesnt bother me at all for 2v2 tbh. I prefer this over having to spend 15+ minutes every 2s game past a certain rating.

Edit: Link to the hotfix where it was changed:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20653889

Player Versus Player

Dampening now starts at a 20% healing reduction in 2v2 matches.

I agree with Appel that some matches can last exceeding long amounts of time which is frustrating. However, it does seem brutal to have to use cooldowns incredibly early vs any burst opener in those matches.

I agree with this change. Blizzard made it known awhile back they don't care about 2's. Just look at the reward system!