Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

I really enjoyed BFA

Mythics are good.

Jaina fight and BoD was fun. Eternal Palace was good. Still havent full cleared heroic.

WPvP was great pre-flight; WPvP still fun if you deepcoral pod (only way to survive divebombs).

Story is fun.

Rated Bgs are fun and competitive at 2k+.

Why so much hate for this expansion. Legion and BFA have been a blast.

Because:

- Island expeditions are terrible
    - Warfronts are terrible
    - The story is godawful
    - The Azerite armor system is bland and not compelling
    - Zone design was lackluster for most zones
    - Specs were gutted and play terribly
    - Gated grinds are the new normal
    - There just isn't anything exciting happening in game

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Because:

- Island expeditions are terrible
    - Warfronts are terrible
    - The story is godawful
    - The Azerite armor system is bland and not compelling
    - Zone design was lackluster for most zones
    - Specs were gutted and play terribly
    - Gated grinds are the new normal
    - There just isn't anything exciting happening in game
    Everything aside from the story point is subjective. I honestly think BfA's only massive and glaring flaw is the story direction. But that's what happens when you hire Christie Golden.

*inb4 the Classic Zealots start flaming and derail the thread.*

15+ Year Old Account
    Mythics aren't good, too much trash and too much of it can't be CCed.

Jaina fight was stupid, BoD was decent. Eternal Palace is okay, a bit on the easy side.

World PVP is fun for about 10 minutes, then dries up very quickly.

The story is very stupid. It's too fragmented and I don't care to try and keep up with it, I just care about the Old God stuff.

Rated BGs are only fun and competitive at 2k? Okay, that was a pointless post.

How come I can give reasoning but you can't? What kind of statement is "Mythics are good"? Oxygen is good too? Why all the hate for winds?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not my favorite expansion but I've enjoyed it too so far.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Everything aside from the story point is subjective. I honestly think BfA's only massive and glaring flaw is the story direction. But that's what happens when you hire Christie Golden.
    The specs being gutted is subjective? Bro, I don't think you can read. Try again.

Well of course. Even the point about the story is subjective. These are my reasons for disliking BfA. YMMV.

I have become very bored with the expansion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I mean classes from legion to BFA got pruned even further, or in other words, gutted.

That's not subjective, it's a fact.

Also classes playing terribly is also objective. You can find that classes playing horribly are fun to you, that's fine, that's subjective. But it's a fact that classes play terribly.
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2019-08-18 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    The specs being gutted is subjective? Bro, I don't think you can read. Try again.
    Of course it is subjective. Most of the classes in Vanilla were either complete garbage or only required a one button macro to play effectively, yet we have the Classic fans who idiotically find enjoyment in playing them.

BFA classes, even in their "gutted" state are still a hundred times more functional than classes were 15 years ago. So I don't find it far-fetched that there are people that enjoy playing them.

i disagree with everything except the raids being good, but i am truly happy you and others enjoy it

Islands are my favorite small group content offering since WOTLK 5-mans, warfronts are what I'd love to see become the future of raiding alternatives for "mass battles without mandatory communication." I adore both of these offerings.

The story is terrible unless it pays off well, then it is amazing if they stick the landing properly. The problem is that the pacing doesn't work for a subscription medium with "a page every three months."

All of these are opinions. None of us here speak for the masses. There is a fanclub for every feature, believe it or not.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-08-18 at 02:56 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with OP. This expansion has been a blast for me. I could easily say one of the best expansion so far after WotLK.

I've enjoyed it but the story hasn't been fun. It's been bogged down by the Sylvanas and Saurfang shit show. The faction war is a huge burden on the lore. By the time it's all said and done, nothing worthwhile will have happened. The last relevant thing that happened was Varian dying, that's the last time a character felt important and was treated with respect and his actions had gravitas.

With that said, I've enjoyed Allied Races and the new continents. Drustvar and Zandalar (all three zones) are great. The grinding has been a drag but otherwise rewarding when unlocking a brand new race. I'm an altholic.

Not a huge fan of the Azerite system. War Fronts and Island Expeditions seem useless. I haven't done either and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. That's a huge design flaw.

PVP feels... detached, in an expansion about faction war, none of the 6 new zones is a Wintergrasp-styled zone, really? Instead we toggle on and out of PVP for marginally-mediocre rewards. It just feels wrong. I'm not big on PVP, but I loved Wintergrasp. It felt important and immersive to both the story and the world.

I'm still invested in BfA despite all its flaws, and it is definitely better than the worst expansion, Warlords of Draenor, and it's also even better than Cataclysm in my opinion, but I don't see 8.3 taking it any higher to be honest. It'll always be just better than the worst expansions but nowhere near being close to being great like Wrath, Legion or even Mists.

Your opinion differs a lot from mine. I've hated how convoluted the story has been, the ability prune has been really glaring, and adding a "talent" per patch through azerite is terrible design to my mind. Throw in that WPVP is basically just alternating horde or alliance groups jumping solo players, and the rehashed scenario content that is both islands and warfronts, and it's basically a hard pass for me. I could ignore most of those factors if the gameplay had more depth, but it really doesn't seem to be a focus at this point.

Oh, and mythic+ seems to be designed to be tedious, rather than fun, with the terrible mob counts in some places, and the terrible claustrophobic dungeon design in others. I get that trash should matter, but it's possible to find a better middle ground between irrelevant and incessant.

the launch content for BFA was very weak. the character feature transition from end of legion to start of BFA was just embarassing.

8.2 is a good (not great) patch but we shouldn't have had to wait a year for it.
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-08-18 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    I mean classes from legion to BFA got pruned even further, or in other words, gutted.

That's not subjective, it's a fact.

Also classes playing terribly is also objective. You can find that classes playing horribly are fun to you, that's fine, that's subjective. But it's a fact that classes play terribly.
    Once again, subjective. Classes now are a lot more fun than they were in Vanilla and TBC.

BfA would be tolerable if they would:

1. Change flying requirement from revered to honored, this means the players would have cleared, at least three times, the new zones.
    2. Make the heart of azeroth progression account wide so that people could have a chance at playing an alt or changing mains without totally burning out
    3. Once everyone has flying, they could at least start to have fun with unlocking the allied races that should have been given to them anyway, but this grind is not as bad as the above two.
    4. If they want BfA to really feel like a war between the factions, warfronts should have been a player versus player versus environment, which would have made it a lot more interesting than its current mindless state.
    5. Make islands a decent source of XP, besides making the heart of azeroth progress account wide, would make this a fun time sink for players with lots of alts, as opposed to a mindless time sink like in 1 and 2 above.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO BfA is weaker than Legion, but overall it is ok expansion.

Raids are good and 8.2 did a lot of good as well. Dungeons are pretty good too, IMO. Seasonal M+ is a great idea and is executed well.

Story is a bit silly, IMO, like they really tried to make some epic story there - it certainly took big balls to sacrifice 2 capital cities to open things with a bang, but somehow here we are ending up with reskinned MoP 2.0. I don't think story is outright horrible, but it certainly has a weakness to it and feels like something we already went through.

War campaign scale is disappointing, I expected the great effort they put into 12 class stories with their class halls to be combined into 2 epic war campaigns, but they somehow did not feel on par there.

Islands and Warfronts are a nice try, but IMO too raw right now. Both have some great potential that is yet to be realized. HC Warfronts is a good step in right direction, IMO, simply by the grace of the fact that there is an actual chance to lose if you collectively do almost nothing.

Overall BfA feels like Legion iteration and probably was meant to be this too. New features did not really play out, but old stuff is still good. I do hope for something more substantial on new stuff front in next expansion, but I won't cry myself to sleep either if it just ends up the usual stellar raiding experience wrapped in mediocre fluff par the course of WoW.