Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    And with the release of WoD, the green kool-aid no longer was the cause.

It is now the Ambien to Roseanne's racism. i.e, their penchant for genocide was in them all along.
    The Blood was never the cause if you payed attention.

It was Kil'jaeden who sent visions of past shaman and loved ones to not just Ner'zul but all Shaman that convinced the Orcs the Draenei were the enemy.

Warlock magic also had an effect on the Orcs as well. They started to forget to forget their humanity leaving their wounded to die on battlefields even though they could have been saved with just first aid.

In WoD the elements also witness the vision from the shard of the hourglass its not just Grom. The horrors that would happen to Draenor convinced the elements to push the Orcs to war which is why the Iron Horde retain control of the elements.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2019-08-26 at 05:45 AM.

I get what people are getting at with "until WoD retconned that" but didn't Garrosh specifically manipulate an elemental vision to make Grom think Garrosh was there to save the orcs from slavery and extinction?

Their beliefs were manipulated by a tyrant. They thought they were fighting to save themselves. They're violent fighters but they aren't jonsing for genocide at the slightest opportunity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Their history is full of clans fighting each other, constantly war focused, even before the corruption... I am looking for examples where orcs have actually been okay with living in peace with anyone over a prolonged period.. I haven't found it yet.

So I look to their lore, in the time before the legion that was described, and even then you would have clans having feuds and it was actually culturally encouraged.

You're not evil attacking a clan for food and water, and in arguments or disputes, the winner is resolved through a good fight.

I mean can a race like this ever live in peace with others?
    I mean, can a race that believes in certain deities and fights over them killing millions if not billions throught It's history live in peace with others?

It doesn't matter for the orcs, same as us. Yes their culture, being orcs is essentially war. But that also depends on their clan, their clans are as different as Sweden to Italy is. Different culture, diffrerent mind set etc. all orcs are taught a universal few things, to have honor and to respect your ancestors and elders. But not all clans adheer to that nor do all orcs. The Shattered Hand for example could be considered one of the least honourable clans in my opinion due to their backstabbing rogue-nature.

Frostwolves can be considered the most peaceful and passive, yet they will smack you down with an axe and bite you down with their wolf companions as easily as a Blackrock Orc, Blackrock, who has the most militirized orc clan ever. Wo yes, orcs can be peaceful, just as humans can be peaceful, why not? Even humans on WoW used to be in tribes, fighting each other blindly all over the now eastern kingdoms until they united into various kingdoms.

And you are generalizing quite a bit, back In the day all the clans, the big ones especially had a meet up at Oshu'gun for a festival of peace and to have talks among the clans. Imagine It as being a UN for Dreanor but less strict. If one clan attacks another unprovoked, there's consequences It's not just a free for all out there for clans. Besides the orcs would focus on their enemies, the ogres and sometimes the Draenei. Even though they've been quite peaceful with the Draenei for a good while.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i mean coming from Norse mythology don't rly matter, Norse elves were totally different from the tolkien archetype in everything, sure the world tree is inspired in the ygdrassil but its just that, they even treat the tree different

sure mongol and japanese are the primal ones, but clans like frostwolf have some hints about nordic yes, the thing of dying in combat, honoring the ancestors, the warsong is way more like the norse warriors than samurais by example.

shamanism is also related with then, Odin was basically a shaman or portrayed as one
    Tolkien was one of the greatest admirers of germanic mythology and it is well known that he incorporated as many themes from germanic mythology in to LotR as he could. There are even books solely written about this aspect of his writing.

There is nothing specifically "Nordic" about the wish to die in battle and honoring your ancestors. That was a thing in most cultures at some point. Warsong are the mos Mongol-like tribe and in WoD they couldn't have been more in your face with this.

Germanic people never had Shamans, that is a Uralic/Altaic thing. But WoW Shamans aren't even really shamans, they are just generic animistic priets, which were in the past also found in pretty much all cultures around the globe.
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2019-08-26 at 03:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    sure mongol and japanese are the primal ones, but clans like frostwolf have some hints about nordic yes, the thing of dying in combat, honoring the ancestors, the warsong is way more like the norse warriors than samurais by example.

shamanism is also related with then, Odin was basically a shaman or portrayed as one
    The term "shamanism" actually originated with the indigenous people of Manchu, Siberia, and Mongolia, though Blizzard's interpretation of shamanism doesn't really draw heavily from any particular culture, and I suppose generally leans more towards Native American archetypes.

Ancestor worship and animism is pretty universally common, and were (and still are) practiced in Mongolia and Japan. And a lot of their concepts of honor in combat can also be paralleled with bushido, which places "dying with honor" as one of its highest tenets. Though I think a lot of these elements are also simply pulled from "noble savage" archetypes appearing in general pop culture and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The Blood was never the cause if you payed attention.
    Yeah I am sorry I haven't kept up with the retcons tucked away in some obscure 10 copper novel.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Yeah I am sorry I haven't kept up with the retcons tucked away in some obscure 10 copper novel.
    It was Rise of the Horde back in BC. But you are hardly the only person to parrot this even people who supposedly read all the novels get this wrong. Its just one of those falsehoods that for some reason continues to be spread in the community.

Another is "Sylvanas wants destroy the living" even though she has never said this and Putress who did was a Legion stooge.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Tolkien was one of the greatest admirers of germanic mythology and it is well known that he incorporated as many themes from germanic mythology in to LotR as he could. There are even books solely written about this aspect of his writing.
    Yeah, but nothing in wow/tolkien elves resemble the old myth
    There is nothing specifically "Nordic" about the wish to die in battle and honoring your ancestors. That was a thing in most cultures at some point. Warsong are the mos Mongol-like tribe and in WoD they couldn't have been more in your face with this.
    sure most cultures, but it was predominant in Norse culture, do die in battle and go to valhala where your ancestors were, i never said orcs have their culture based on then, just a few hints here and there

Germanic people never had Shamans, that is a Uralic/Altaic thing. But WoW Shamans aren't even really shamans, they are just generic animistic priets, which were in the past also found in pretty much all cultures around the globe.
    every tribe/old civilization had a spiritual guide, shaman or other name, for me i think its more heavy towards indians and norse ones(because the popular media)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The term "shamanism" actually originated with the indigenous people of Manchu, Siberia, and Mongolia, though Blizzard's interpretation of shamanism doesn't really draw heavily from any particular culture, and I suppose generally leans more towards Native American archetypes.
    yeah i know that, like i said just a few hints of norse culture, of course they are heavy mongolian/japanese. Like @George Lucas poiinted, Warsong in wod have very mongolian influence

Ancestor worship and animism is pretty universally common, and were (and still are) practiced in Mongolia and Japan. And a lot of their concepts of honor in combat can also be paralleled with bushido, which places "dying with honor" as one of its highest tenets. Though I think a lot of these elements are also simply pulled from "noble savage" archetypes appearing in general pop culture and fantasy.
    sure

5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but nothing in wow/tolkien elves resemble the old myth

sure most cultures, but it was predominant in Norse culture, do die in battle and go to valhala where your ancestors were, i never said orcs have their culture based on then, just a few hints here and there

every tribe/old civilization had a spiritual guide, shaman or other name, for me i think its more heavy towards indians and norse ones(because the popular media)
    Tolkien's Elves are based on the mythology and resemble it. Here is a short article about it: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Germanic-Elves

That is a Hollywood cliché. Nordic people before christianization weren't more war-like than other Europeans. The thing is that we only have literature about Germanic Pagan culture that is written by christians. It would be the same to use exclusively Turkic and Arab sources for the crusades and then act like all Europeans = devout warmongers, who only want to achieve martyrdom. It is highly unlikely that anyone but some small part of the "warrior nobility" had the wish to go to Valhalla. The average norseman back then probably never really thought about Valhalla in his whole life.

Well, if you go by popular media, yes that would be a comprehensibly conclusion, but also a wrong one. Germanic pagans of course had priests but from the littly we know, they were nothing like Warcraft Shamans. The whole concept of the four elements in Warcraft is completely alien to Norse mythology and came to Europe from Egypt. A more interesting thing about Germanic mythology, that makes the Germanic pagans distinct from other Indo-Europeans, is that their highest god was different from the usual highest god of the Indo-European pantheons. Most put a patriarchal god of the sky who upheld order (Zeus/Iuppiter/Dyaus Pitr/Dievas/...) at the top. But in the Germanic pantheon this position shifted from Tyr/Tiw/Ziu to Odin/Woden/Wuotan, the earthbound magician God of the Underworld(Hades/Pluto/Varuna/Velnias).
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2019-08-26 at 08:26 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Yes they are super peaceful nature loving hippies. Untill literally anyone tries to use any method to convince them that violence is cool.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Tolkien's Elves are based on the mythology and resemble it. Here is a short article about it:
    i am pretty sure elves back there were tiny fey-like creatures, nor perfect pointed ear humans,i mean even trolls in the myth were not like tolkien trolls

Well, if you go by popular media, yes that would be a comprehensibly conclusion, but also a wrong one.

thats what im saying, popular media, i know movies and series are not faithful, i mean Thrall is basically thor from the movies now, and before the doomhammer was a clearly throwback to mjolnir.