PvP or PVE server, what should I go with?

I spent 10 years with WoW, got the statue (actually had no idea one was coming in the mail so was surprised when it showed up) and shortly after that I called it quits. I have been away from WOW now for quite some time but when I did play it was always on a PVE server and so have no experience on PvP servers.

I was heavily into raiding, was at various times the guild leader in a few guilds, as well as the main tank. Got a few server firsts so I would say that raiding in Classic will be important to me.

So now I need to decide, PVE or PvP? I know all about PVE servers and there was pvp there if you flagged which happened a lot at times. A straight up PvP server though, what is the good points to it? What attracts people to it? On the flip side, what are the negatives to it?

I think it might be fun with the cloud of possible gankiness over my head on a PvP server but does it also get to a point where it can become a major pain in the ass? I don't know, here is where your comments come in....what do you think?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

If you into raiding, pvp server is waste of time, imo.
    When leveling, getting ganked is waste of time, you dont get exp for killing the ganker. In time ganking finishes, you could of do 1 or 2 quests and get exp.
    When max level, you have to fight at summon stone and cant summon your group to dungeon, need to wait for opposing faction to go, thats also waste of time, for me at least. Its no brainer for me - pve server when im focused on raiding.
    It also doesnt mean I wont play on pvp server at all, but it will just be an alt for casual questing and wpvp.

The more cynical part of me would say:
    Roll on a PvE Server, play to lvl20-30...and then ask yourself how many times you wished you had been killed by some other player during these hours spent when you had zero interest in WPvP yourself. If the answer is "more than zero times"...you should reroll PvP Server.

The less cynical part of me expects all of the "big" PvP Servers to go one-faction-only within 2-3 months, so they will basically just be PvE servers with one faction only, focused on raiding and absolutely no other faction to fight in WPvP. Some of the medium-lower pop servers may stay somewhat mixed, but those will not have the population to attract major guilds and with medium population AND unwanted ganking around dungeon entrances it will be even more of a pain to get groups for anything there.

Edit:
    A lot of players feel they need to roll on a PvP Server out of principle, just because they think being able to attack enemy players all the time is an "important part of the game" - they ignore that this directly leads to the big servers having only one faction left....which is the direct opposite of what you should be looking for if you are interested in WPvP. In my opinion, PvP Servers were a complete failure in WoW 15 years ago. There was far better WPvP on PvE Servers, where players gathered and flagged WILLINGLY because WPvP was what they wanted to do at the time...or even on RP Servers where huge battles where organized by players. PvP Servers in concept should cause more WPvP to happen...but in practise they simply create servers where only one faction remains. And lowbies are ganked while leveling by max-level players. Which is always great fun.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-08-23 at 09:41 PM.