Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This is great news.

The Classic devs are the real deal.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RayenDark View Post
    Nope, you don't have to use the addon-no one was going to force you. They couldn't use it if the addon wasn't installed.
    If someone wants to use it-fine. It doesn't affect -your- gameplay.

At the end of the day-who cares? Play the game how you want-why does how someone else plays bother you? It's none of your business.
    This type of comment is one of the reason retail has been getting worst non-stop for 10 years. Its an MMORPG, how everyone plays affect everyone else.
    Automatic Decursive is fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Gold selling is fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Bots are fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Raider.io is fine it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Gearscore is fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    4 levels of difficulty for raids is fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Catch-up mechanics are fine it doesnt affect your gameplay.
    Legendary for everyone is fine, it doesnt affect your gameplay.

When something optional becomes expected, then mandatory, it affects everyone.
    Fracturing the community affects everyone.
    Automation always affects everyone.
    It fantastic that they are talking about breaking any LFG addons. I just hope it doesnt break too many, less meaningfull, addons. MMORPG are games you shouldnt be able to play by yourself, so keep that solo gamer mentality for games where it really wont affect anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Pretty disappointing. For the people who did not want to use it, they could have just refused, instead of ruining the improved experience for the rest of the playerbase. Reminds me of the anti-flying crowd ruining flight for everyone instead of just refusing to use flying mounts. It will simply result in outside discords/tools for organization instead of letting people do it all ingame.
    Conversely if you don't want to engage in the vanilla experience, you don't need to play Classic.

See how that works both ways.

Pretty disappointing. For the people who did not want to use it, they could have just refused, instead of ruining the improved experience for the rest of the playerbase. Reminds me of the anti-flying crowd ruining flight for everyone instead of just refusing to use flying mounts. It will simply result in outside discords/tools for organization instead of letting people do it all ingame.
    cause thats totally how it works. it's like saying "just don't use a car" in modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You cant
    how can you recreate the game being new and no one knowing how it works, where everything is, or what is to come?
    how do you recreate the opening of AQ when EVERYONE knows EXACTLY what materials are needed, and what needs to be done for the quests.
    how do you recreate difficulty of learning fights and developing strats when they have been known for YEARS

you cant
    classic is not vanilla
    We can only try...as much as possible and within reason, which is what Blizzard is doing here.
    Trying to prevent the 2019 mentality and design philosophy into Classic WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Conversely if you don't want to engage in the vanilla experience, you don't need to play Classic.

See how that works both ways.
    That's not even equivalent to what I wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    cause thats totally how it works. it's like saying "just don't use a car" in modern society.
    I don't use a car, so I fail to see your point.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Nah, it has a significant impact on server community. Looking for groups and finding players to run dungeons with was always part of the maintenance of the social impact. If you have half the playerbase solely using a mod to find groups, you significantly reduce the number of available participants available to those not using it, and just the nature of community on the server. If you weren't around at the time you may not be familiar - but there was a massive social aspect to vanilla servers, and this would have had a considerable impact on that. As we've seen over the latter years, that impact would only be negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Nah, it has a significant impact on server community.
    This line gets repeated, but I played back then. I have no clue what people are referring to as "server community". To me its just a meaningless buzzword.
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is FINE.

Whatyou and others aren't seeing is that Blizz wants to recreate the social aspects of the vanilla game. They can't control what people did outside if it (and it's not like the web didn't exist in 2006 btw) but they can control what the game encourages.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    How do we recreate the scenario of the addon existing but almost no one using it?
    Any link or proof that such an addon existed back then? Im sure it was possible - but nobody developed any such addon. Maybe years later for pservers.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Which is FINE.

Whatyou and others aren't seeing is that Blizz wants to recreate the social aspects of the vanilla game. They can't control what people did outside if it (and it's not like the web didn't exist in 2006 btw) but they can control what the game encourages.
    You can't recreate the social environment 15 years ago.
    – C.S. Lewis

Im glad they did this, not because the LFG tool was super broken but what could have come afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Any link or proof that such an addon existed back then? Im sure it was possible - but nobody developed any such addon. Maybe years later for pservers.
    I made this post before knowing the news and trying to figure out if many people used it or not.
    Not many people used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    For anyone trying to do detective work on this addon, a reddit user named fusionpit did an impressive work.
    Respects to the guy

Call to Arms released 18 June 2005
    waybackmachine link:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070830..._changelog.php

It had 124 000 downloads on Curse (with some bonus user comments on the page)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20061025...lfg-addon.html

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    if it comes down to it, blizz just sends an email to curse asking them not to host this type of addon anymore, and that will probably limit the userpool enough to make the addon die out. extremely few addons can sustain a usserbase without curse.

i'd also say discord is more similar to LFG/trade chat, than a fully automatic addon that immidates queues.
    Any good addon that players like does not need Curse. oQueue had over 3 million downloads just from the solidice website.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Any good addon that players like does not need Curse. oQueue had over 3 million downloads just from the solidice website.
    One day mmo-c will give us upvotes RIP OQ I wouldn't have gotten into RBGs without you.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Wow.

People really did lose their shit over an addon.
    you can thank the ignorant (m)asses getting outraged over nothing that lead to this situation, it's why we can't have nice things, all the addon author did was take the original 'LFG feature' that classic had from day 1, add a few skins to it, and use the legion client back end systems to add an 'invite' button instead of needing to right click>invite people, from what i have seen of the addon and how it works it's just a spruced up better looking version of the basic version that already exists, but the simple minded morons can't grasp that concept so they started wailing on about how it will ruin the game and here we are.

I don't use a car, so I fail to see your point.
    no way you don't use a car. even if you don't use one personally, you still rely on services that do use them every single day. you will always be affected by the existence of cars even and end up feeling their effects indirectly. in the case of cars this has a net positive effect on your life, in the case of this addon it's a negative effect: it limits the amount of players that are willing to play with you.

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    So they're really going to disallow addons from parsing text? Well congratulations you just destroyed the game.
    Did you really think they have no idea what they’re doing? Of course they thought of a way to limit it without impacting other things too much prior to making a decision... they BUILT the api after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't recreate the social environment 15 years ago.
    ignorant morons on these forums/youtube/other fan sites seem to think you can, hence why this is even happening.

This is great news. Anything that makes Classic less attractive to tryhards is a real win in my book.

Honestly, a 15 year old game where there are no stakes whatsoever because it's all already been done and documented is the most ludicrous thing for people to be tryharding on. Don't get me wrong, I find it hilarious that some dudes are taking this so seriously, but I would also rather that ideally they all fucked off as soon as possible to avoid the risk of grouping an absolute stresshead who's decided that poorly formed insults are an acceptable substitute for a personality.

Just enjoy the experience, you absolute lunatics. It doesn't matter at all, there's no need to optimise literally every element of your interactions with people. Try to have a little bit of chill.