Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    No, the problem is that your argument is completely stupid and nonsensical (in the real meaning of the word : it makes no sense, there is no logical link between the premises and the conclusion) and as such he surmise, probably correctly, that someone who is dumb enough to make such argument will be unable to get how and why it's so wrong.
    It's funny how when you prove someone wrong and they get so upset that they have to resort to insults instead of proving you wrong. That's how you can tell when you are correct.

So you think its possible to compare something you haven't experienced in a decade to something you just watched and objectively compare the two? You do realize the human brain isn't perfect right? We are filled with false memories, unreliable memories, altered memories, etc... The very fact you can remember something happening that never did is proof that you can't objectively compare something from the past with something from the present.

Not sure if your a virgin or not so Idk if you will have experienced this but most people look back fondly on their first time even if it was shit and some will even compare it to current sexual encounters and because of nostalgia they may rank it higher than a current hookup even though if they had had both sexual encounters today they would say the first one was a shitier experience.

But I'm sure when you eventually get sick and tired of classic you will just blame Blizzard saying it's not real Vanilla because they made skeleton's despawn faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    anyone who says this needs a good spanking.

Just found this gem yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pappaslop View Post
    LOL

I know most things in life are subjective...

But this... LOL

Good one bro.
    Queen does suck. In my opinion. I have peculiar taste. Godfather bores me and it's supposedly the greatest movie ever, yet I can't sit through it. Gangster stuff bores the shit out of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hehe..hance you had the common sense to add "in my opinion".

There is plenty of music that I dislike, but others love...hell...take any list of the 10 best selling musicians / groups, and somebody will tell you how they are overrated or suck. (same goes for books, films, food...you name it)

It is just taste and opinions...nothing one should be touchy about
    Exactly, pretty sure Queen himself wouldn't care if I said he sucked, he still had his following.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    It's funny how when you prove someone wrong and they get so upset that they have to resort to insults instead of proving you wrong. That's how you can tell when you are correct.
    The whole point of a nonsensical argument is that you don't have to "prove" it wrong, it's wrong and self-defeating by itself. Duh.
    So you think its possible to compare something you haven't experienced in a decade
    He pointed the existence of pservers, which already make your entire premise false (without counting that even without that, your reasoning would still be wrong for many other reasons, but as I said, if you're dumb enough to not realize the premises themselves are factually and obviously false, there is no point discussing aspects which are much more nuanced).

Those person never heard of retrogaming I guess.

Sure, we all know a huge percentage of people will play it and leave before even hitting level 20, but that's every game existing, isn't it?

Private servers have been existing long enough to know the game will have its niche.. this is why Blizzard is cautious when adding new servers to make sure they don't end up with dead servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Protocoaxke View Post
    Maybe if you were a gay man living a straight mans life the songs would make more sense to you...

But i wanna be Edgy with you and let you know Pantera sucks dog shit.
    I get his songs, I get he was a closeted gay man, I understand all the lyrics but yeah, it doesn't resonate with me because I'm not a closeted gay man. He was definitely ahead of his time, way ahead. Incredible voice that was limited to or burdened (?) by his situation depending on who you ask.

I've heard like one Pantera song, they never became too mainstream. I've found myself not enjoying Metallica as much as I used to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Queen is a band, not a person.
    Yeah, I meant Freddie Mercury, sorry, he's just so synonymous with the band name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    By "he" you're referring to Freddie Mercury? Queen is a band. 4 individuals who each wrote songs and every member wrote multiple hit songs.
    Yeah, I meant Freddie Mercury. I don't even know the other 3 to be honest.

I've just spent the last two hours finding all my old music from high school on Spotify in preparation for Classic's launch. I absolutely am going to "relive my childhood" for at least a few hours of release week.

I don't get how that accusation is pejorative. Who the hell doesn't miss Vault energy drink, their first car, Yellowcard, MSN Messenger, and etc.?

Obviously those things will appeal mostly to the people that lived during their heyday. Who cares? It doesn't bother me at all that the Fortnite kids might not love WoW. (Actually, it's kinda comforting.)

Remember that this is a game, people... All the jokes about it being "your whole life" are either hyperbolic or exceptionally tragic. As for us old folks... Let us have our nostalgia, eh? We're not hurting you.

The whole point of a nonsensical argument is that you don't have to "prove" it wrong, it's wrong and self-defeating by itself. Duh.

He pointed the existence of pservers, which already make your entire premise false (without counting that even without that, your reasoning would still be wrong for many other reasons, but as I said, if you're dumb enough to not realize the premises themselves are factually and obviously false, there is no point discussing aspects which are much more nuanced).
    Hah hah good one keep trying bud.

Most people play private servers because they are free, feed them nostalgia feels, can sometimes get free shit or have altered the game in some way, have special events, and like sticking it to the company that "ruined" their game. As someone who used to help run a private Helbreath server I'd know. Everyone was constantly begging for items or wanting a power boost or event, etc...

And again private servers don't give you the same experience as Vanilla, they will never be, nor could they ever be that, just like classic isn't the same.

And if my reasoning and logic are wrong why not point it out to me so I can learn from my mistake? Oh wait you can't because I'm not. You just don't wanna hear something so your sticking your fingers in your ears and humming trying to stop the bad man from scaring you.

Most people play private servers because they are free, feed them nostalgia feels, can sometimes get free shit or have altered the game in some way, have special events, and like sticking it to the company that "ruined" their game. As someone who used to help run a private Helbreath server I'd know. Everyone was constantly begging for items or wanting a power boost or event, etc...

And again private servers don't give you the same experience as Vanilla, they will never be, nor could they ever be that, just like classic isn't the same.
    All this is completely and entirely beside the point, and continue to show that either you're just being disingenuous, or you're REALLY dumb and can't understand your own "reasoning".
    And if my reasoning and logic are wrong why not point it out to me so I can learn from my mistake?
    Already did, twice myself and once someone else. You just seem unable to get it.

"ahah you can't have any idea if you like this game or not because last time you played it was 10 years ago and you can't really remember !"
    "actually that was yesterday, and I remember I had fun"
    "no you're wrong ! Because... that wasn't EXACTLY the same you see ? Obviously, this mob having 2410 HP instead of 2430 means your experience was COMPLETELY different and you have NO IDEA if you like the game or not ! Also, you only played it because it was FREE you see ! So you can't know if you had fun and I am RIGHT !"
    "... Sure buddy, I can't know if I had fun... Your argument is really shit..."
    "AHAHAH SEE you can't prove me I'm wrong ! Ahaha I'm so smart !"

Whatever, buddy. You are a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post

Just found this gem yesterday.
    Bring me the paddle.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

There is a silver lining in this I believe - In some ways, WoW players should be relieved - as it really appears like most of the elitist jackasses are going to go Classic and flex their almighty clandestine leet skills of "Grinding tubers out in Felwood for hours-on-end" to show us filthy casuals how a "real-gamer games", whatever that means.

Point is, maybe the main-game will be heavily purged from Elitist douchbagery for the most part! ^_^

All this is completely and entirely beside the point, and continue to show that either you're just being disingenuous, or you're REALLY dumb and can't understand your own "reasoning".

Already did, twice myself and once someone else. You just seem unable to get it.

"ahah you can't have any idea if you like this game or not because last time you played it was 10 years ago and you can't really remember !"
    "actually that was yesterday, and I remember I had fun"
    "no you're wrong ! Because... that wasn't EXACTLY the same you see ? Obviously, this mob having 2410 HP instead of 2430 means your experience was COMPLETELY different and you have NO IDEA if you like the game or not ! Also, you only played it because it was FREE you see ! So you can't know if you had fun and I am RIGHT !"
    "... Sure buddy, I can't know if I had fun... Your argument is really shit..."
    "AHAHAH SEE you can't prove me I'm wrong ! Ahaha I'm so smart !"

Whatever, buddy. You are a waste of time.
    First off I never said anyone can't have fun. Nor did I say that people can't like it better than retail or that retail is objectively better. My point was that there were thousands of different wants for classic and many wanted no new content and the game to be exactly the same. If someone doesn't even want a new raid what does that tell you? That nostalgia is driving them. And I didn't even say it was driving everyone.

Also I hope English isn't your native language as half the shit you say I can barely comprehend like "Already did, twice myself and once someone else. You just seem unable to get it." are you admitting to using multiple accounts? and nothing you said has refuted what I said. If you meet a dumbass that tells you the sky is made out of cotton candy you explain to them that its a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, etc and explain what elements are if they dont get it. You don't act like a total retard yourself and keep saying "Sky blue" or "private servers exist" because that doesn't disprove shit. I explained why people play private servers and yet you ignored it. For fucks sake there are idiots I've seen on the forums saying how X isn't in classic when it was in vanilla and the Blizzard has to explain it to them that it wasn't in Vanilla but it was on a private server.

Anyways I'm done. You clearly either can't comprehend or are so obsessed that its blinding you. Have a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    No idea. People don't bat an eye when they say they like Morrowind more than Skyrim, but how fucking dare you like Classic over BfA.
    I've actually heard some TES fans say that Skyrim is an objectively better game and Morrowind is only praised because of nostalgia. Which I find funny because I first played Morrowind in 2018 and loved it, while Skyrim never appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I'm not "trying to relive my childhood" or any bullshit like that; I didn't even start playing WoW until I was 19. I'm playing Classic because...y'know, it's a fun game and I enjoy it. That's it. No "rose tinted glasses", no "reliving childhood", it's just a fun game that I enjoy and want to play. What's so bad about that?

These kinds of arguments sound even more ridiculous when you apply it to other things:

"Queen's music sucks, you're just nostalgic about it"
    "You really don't like Queen, you're just trying to relive your childhood"
    "Their music is way worse than modern bands, people only liked it because it was new and there was nothing better"
    "Why do you want to listen to Queen again? You already listened to them 15 years ago, it's not going to be any different"
    "Everyone is going to stop listening to Queen when they remember how bad the music is"
    "Listening to Queen is not going to bring you back to being a child again"
    "There's no new albums, you can't listen to the same music forever"
    This is a really good example.

If someone doesn't even want a new raid what does that tell you? That nostalgia is driving them.
    So because you don't want a completely new experience, that means "hurdur nostalgia" ?

Let me ask you something: Do you listen to every single piece of music exactly once and then never listen to it again? After all, if you want to listen to it again, that means it's "just nostalgia" and you don't actually like the music. Do you eat each type of candy exactly once and then never eat that candy again? You better not eat that candy again, because it's not going to be new, and thus, "nostalgia is driving you" !

No, that's retarded. People are allowed to enjoy old things without being """nostalgic""". Sometimes you just want to relax and play a game that you already know is good, instead of venturing into something new and unknown. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not playing Classic for """nostalgia""", I'm playing it because I like it a million times more than retail.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-08-24 at 11:44 PM.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    I was 40 when I started playing WoW.

I do think nostalgia does play some role for me. I'm very excited to revisit it not so much to revisit what I've played before, but to experience the stuff I never quite reached the first time around (rerolled constantly and never hit 60 before BC).

That said, even without that draw, I still think it would end up as my favorite current MMO. Because as flawed as it is... it's still the best thing that still sticks to the old MMO strengths that I love. While modern MMOs deemphasize socialization to the point where I'd almost say it's discouraged (automated group finders, sharding, never seeing the same people twice unless you seek out a guild out of game), Classic will still be built around making it happen. And for all of it's reputation as being too hardcore and time consuming, modern MMOs (outside of progression raiding) are built entirely around repetitious grinding. I do feel that a lot can be done to improve Classic, but to me, the route retail (and the rest of the MMO industry) took is 100% worse and lost everything that drew me to MMOs in the first place.

And because of that vast divide between classic and modern MMOs, I understand why the arguments between Retail and Classic fans are so heated. The fact is, Classic's success (or lack of it) is likely to heavily influence the genre going forward. If it's a big hit, developers will see that there's still a market for classic MMO values and might finally develop something new in that style (so far, Pantheon's been the only upcoming game to do that for PvE), and it may cause major shifts for retail as well. If it fails, things will remain the same. That said, even if I get where they're coming from, those arguments are ultimately still pointless. Classic's population alone will decide it, not any debates here.

So because you don't want a completely new experience, that means "hurdur nostalgia" ?

Let me ask you something: Do you listen to every single piece of music exactly once and then never listen to it again? After all, if you want to listen to it again, that means it's "just nostalgia" and you don't actually like the music. Do you eat each type of candy exactly once and then never eat that candy again? You better not eat that candy again, because it's not going to be new, and thus, "nostalgia is driving you" !

No, that's retarded. People are allowed to enjoy old things without being """nostalgic""". Sometimes you just want to relax and play a game that you already know is good, instead of venturing into something new and unknown. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not playing Classic for """nostalgia""", I'm playing it because I like it a million times more than retail.
    I like Earthbound for the SNES. And occasionally play it again. But theres no way in hell I could play it 1-2 hours a day for 10+ years. Do you really think you can play wow classic several hours a day for years on end after you have gotten every toon every item they can use? People get bored.

I've never seen so many people getting so irrationally angry over an old game being re-released.
    If you're taking their comments as them being angry then you need to understand context better. There's 2 types of people saying these concerns: 1) The trolls, do say it to spark reactions like the post you made. and 2) The people who believe the game will fail, they're entitled to their opinion and just because their opinion is the exact opposite of your opinion thinking it will succeed it doesn't make it their opinion/concern less valid. The only people getting angry are people like you who can't stand someone having an opinion that doesn't match yours so you go on a rant about it on the forums to get attention.
    Last edited by Zyky; 2019-08-25 at 05:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I don't think it's accurate to say that retail is objectively better than classic. I think it might be more accurate to say certain aspects of retail are objectively superior. And even then, most things are subjective opinions.

I personally find the collections tab superior to clogging up my inventory with every toy, mount, and pet I have. For space efficiency, I would go as far to say that the collections tab is superior. But that doesn't mean everyone appreciates the collections tab as much as I do.

I also personally feel professions from vanilla to wotlk are VASTLY superior to professions beyond that point. This is probably a more subjective view though. I truly detest that professions are inundated with bop mats these days. I much prefer that "rare" mats for professions not be bop and come from profession cooldowns. Professions in Vanilla and TBC seem to be the best state of professions to me because they didn't have bop mats (that I can recall), they had specializations, they could make truly amazing gear (items like Robe of the Archmage from vanilla, and the Frozen Shadoweave set from TBC for example).

WotLK was nice in the sense that all professions had a specific combat benefit which sadly was removed. That's not to say professions back then didn't have their flaws, but as time has gone on, it feels to me like Blizzard has kept most of the old flaws, added a few new ones, and gutted most of the good stuff. BfA professions are garbage imo... but that's just it... that's my subjective opinion. There's surely some people who absolutely love BfA professions (though I'd guess most of those are alchemists and enchanters :P raking in the cash).

Some might say that mounts at 20/40 is objectively superior to mounts at 40/60. I'd say even that is subjective. Yes it's certainly more convenient to get your mount at 20, but we also lost that sense of appreciation we got at 40 in vanilla when we were finally able to not have to walk everywhere. Maybe that isn't something many people appreciated but I did. I felt like I hit a milestone at 40 when I could finally ride a mount... same thing at 60 when I finally got my epic mount. It lost its impact for me when it changed to 20/40.

Ultimately, I think that for those looking for things to go back to a simpler time, Classic is "superior" to retail for them. For me... I don't think I can ever have a "perfect" version of WoW. BfA is currently not worth paying for so I am unsubbed and have been since before 8.2 dropped. I tried it out on the ptr and decided it was a waste of my time and money. It lacks things to do, that I want to do, that feel worth doing.

I liked how professions were handled up to WotLK. Desirable recipes could be found from mobs out in the world, dungeons and raids. BoP mats were virtually non-existent (frozen orbs did not remain bop for the entirety of wotlk thank goodness). We had specializations and combat perks. My ideal version of wow would have professions function like this.

I prefer the old talent trees to today's talent trees. I also dislike Blizzard's pruning of abilities just to give them back to us as talents (Mirror Image should have remained a standard spell for mages imo for example).

I absolutely love the modern transmog system and would want that to stay and perhaps get even better (I'd kill to be able to have some measure of control over the size my weapons and shoulders -_-).

I miss the pre-cata world/quests/dungeons/raids and would love to have all that content copy/pasted from Classic into modern wow and accessible via a Keepers of Time npc that would port to you to "old eastern kingdoms" or "old kalimdor" for example. I could level alts on the old content, but with modern features, for a change of pace, do dungeons as they originally existed, farm for old transmogs that aren't available anymore, maybe even finish Atiesh.

Under the hood code-wise, modern wow is objectively superior to vanilla, of that I can agree. But classic benefits from all that under the hood improvement too outside of specific changes made to re-create certain gameplay elements like spell batching.

It's hard for me to say what about modern wow is objectively superior to Classic beyond the graphics and number of races and classes to choose from, and that some class specs couldn't perform their role properly at endgame compared to others.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2019-08-25 at 05:16 AM.