Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I see the LFG addon denied people are on stage 3, bargaining.

Only depression and acceptance to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Everybody's got their anecdote, I just don't even remember an addon like Call to Arms even being brought up in Vanilla. People were still talking in chat to form UBRS groups or what have you in late 2006. And I played a lot on pservers, and they just simply did not exist. I don't know who these Vanilla veterans are that loved LFG addons, but I've never met them.
    I don't remember what add-on exactly it was but there were chat filters that were used as LFG Tools. Looking for a UBRS run? Filter for UBRS and the add-on created a new chat window with all messages that contained UBRS. Also you could use the add-on to post that you're looking for a run. I don't remember if there was auto invite based on certain pharses in classic but in BC there certainly was.

With classic you also have to remember that most people didn't use add-ons because they didn't know they existed, even in BC a lot of player still didn't use add-ons.

A simple Chat filter seems fine to me, as long as it only uses the same channels that everyone else does.

I can't imagine a person excited about Classic, and then LFG addons get disabled, and he just deflates and loses all enthusiasm for Classic. I don't know who this person is. He's an enigma to me. Like his entire motivation for playing Classic hinged on having a LFG addon?
    Group finding, especially when you didn't have a lot of time available, could be a headache at times. It stayed this way until Blizzard introduced their Group Finder tool in WotLK. A lot of us simply don't have the time we used to have. A method of getting a group together easier and faster can easily make or break whether or not we are able to do a lot of the content that is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    Group finding, especially when you didn't have a lot of time available, could be a headache at times. It stayed this way until Blizzard introduced their Group Finder tool in WotLK. A lot of us simply don't have the time we used to have. A method of getting a group together easier and faster can easily make or break whether or not we are able to do a lot of the content that is available.
    Join a zerg guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I think this addon is a necessary evil for me. it just makes grouping up sooo much easier. No one wants to go to major city just to yell for 15m trying to find a tank.

Imagine this scenario, you are in a group to LBRS, midway through, your tank disconnects and doesn't come back, how would you replace him? you HS, to ironforge and start looking for another one wasting at least 15-30m if you're lucky.

I find this ridiculous & not enjoyable.
    Can easily be fixed by:

- joining a good and active guild
    - adding good players to friendslist

No need to look for random people, once you got some friends. And it will also be alot more fun to play with them.

This is not a solution whatsoever. Suppose it's 3 am and all my guild is offline, or suppose there is no tank online. The whole point of an MMO is to play with a massive community. Why limit myself to a guild or friend lists.
    Than play when your guild is online.

This is not a solution whatsoever. Suppose it's 3 am and all my guild is offline, or suppose there is no tank online. The whole point of an MMO is to play with a massive community. Why limit myself to a guild or friend lists.

Then just look for one and add that one to the friends list too. There’s a big chance he always plays at that time.

You could also use „/who“ to whisper some tanks and ask if they want to join. Always worked back then.

or stop with this stupid argument alltogether and allow people to use whichever addons they want.
    ALmost no one used Call to Arms, 124 000 downloads and was abandoned altogether when TBC released.
    The truth is everyone played without LFG addons in Vanilla, TBC, Wrath.

A chat filter is OK
    A social network of addon-users-only is not.

IMO
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-08-25 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    The truth is everyone played without LFG addons in Vanilla, TBC, Wrath.
    Well yeah, because they implemented a fairly well made (and imo the best iteration) LFG tool in tbc.

@Embriel

The AMA from the addon dude is still at 19 CEST (in 3 hours from now?)
    Cant wait for the spicy drama

TBH i dont mind a simple chat filter...but...it will make everything easier...i dont know...nothing we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with you that it's starting to become overly complicated to find a group the way he's telling you to play the game

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't care all that much. If the addon exists I'll play with the entire server, if I'm forced to read trade chat manually I just won't bother and only play with my guild. Doesn't matter much to me which one it is.
    Even i will use the addon, otherwise i would be at a disadvantage. Exactly the same situation as flying.

LFG addon will be a reality if Blizzard doesnt prevent chat filter.
    We will find out at 19h00 CEST on the AMA of the author.

@Embriel

Did you watch the AMA?
    I did...ended just now.
    Maybe a recap would be nice.

Blizzard themselves are not sure yet what API changes will take place...so the author also doesnt know

I made several questions on stream.
    I asked:

Q: "If Blizzard changes the API so the addon cant read chat what will happen? I dont think Blizzard will do it, but who knows."
    R: Nothing will work if Blizzard does this but also many other addons wont work.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472197546
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-08-25 at 06:14 PM.

People are way too caught up on the "LFG" portion of the name in this add-on. In reality this add-on is nothing more than a glorified chat filter to help sort through the people that actually want to run a 5 man dire maul, people who want to talk about how DM really means the deadmines, people who want to talk about Chuck Norris, and people who want to link Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker.

An add-on that filters out people's garbage that they post in chat is not malicious. The only thing wrong with the LFG add-on is that the author chose to include an infamous acronym in its title.
    Last edited by last1214; 2019-08-26 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    its a shame that blizzard doesnt respect its old customers who now dont have time to nolife game only caters to people who stolen from blizz for years by playing on private servers.

if blizzard respected players they would put current lfg tool into classic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Even i will use the addon, otherwise i would be at a disadvantage. Exactly the same situation as flying.

LFG addon will be a reality if Blizzard doesnt prevent chat filter.
    We will find out at 19h00 CEST on the AMA of the author.
    in what f.... dusadvantage ?

if you support wasting time then waste your time and dont use addon

who cares - you are just a anonymus number on internet - stranger that 99,999999% of people playing game will never met

what advantage you want to get ? being able to do dungeon in 15 year old game ?

people get serious.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its a shame that blizzard doesnt respect its old customers who now dont have time to nolife game only caters to people who stolen from blizz for years by playing on private servers.

The addon of ClassicLFG is giving another interview right now

https://www.twitch.tv/warcraftradio

If you want to watch

Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post
    I see the LFG addon denied people are on stage 3, bargaining.

Only depression and acceptance to go.
    the sweet irony when someone opens openraid 2.0 the same people you make fun of will make fun out of you

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if all of the people wanting some kind of LFG add-on played vanilla. Because you can only invite the people on your server and that usually isn't a ton of folks. It's not like you can search for an invite people on other servers, etc.

Most vanilla players ran group content with their guilds (and very few people were unguilded), with people they'd met and added to their friends list or, occasionally by using the chat channels. All out PUGing of content (building groups from PUGs all or almost all of the time) just wasn't done as much as it is in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

- - - Updated - - -

in what f.... dusadvantage ?

if you support wasting time then waste your time and dont use addon

who cares - you are just a anonymus number on internet - stranger that 99,999999% of people playing game will never met

what advantage you want to get ? being able to do dungeon in 15 year old game ?

people get serious.
    See, this sort of entitled attitude is why we don't want features which allow you to automate elements of the game which would otherwise require communication.

I could make the same argument. If you don't want to have your time wasted, and there being no LFG function would entail said time being wasted, you also have the choice not to play because clearly the game isn't for you.

Personally, I miss being able to take things slowly and chat to people without there being somebody with the attention span of a goldfish bitching and moaning about every little inconvenience.

If this feels like Blizzard disrespecting you, I'm fucking delighted. Please just play a game which already has the automation you're looking for, where you can treat the people you play with as a means to an end as much as you like. The bit in bold really sums it up - you see the interactions you have in-game as purely transactional, and by extension you probably act like a bit of a dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't understand who these people are that are clamoring for a LFG addon. None of the Vanilla players or the players I knew from pservers are excited about this, they want it gone.
    Mostly retailers that will just try the game for a few weeks and quit but still feel the need to ruin the game for everyone and the addon makers for obvious reasons
    The addon makers are quite pathetic in trying to spit bullshit narratives about how the streamers are the only ones against these addons.