Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    3. They'd have to make major adaptations to the engine so it can do what they need, which would negate any benefit of switching.

Hearthstone is a much simpler game than WoW.
    Not really, I doubt it. WoW is really simple game and modern engines can do pretty much anything. Name a single engine feature that WoW has and other engines don't.

As if I want to raid at 20 fps for these better looking graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Not really, I doubt it. WoW is really simple game and modern engines can do pretty much anything. Name a single engine feature that WoW has and other engines don't.
    Simple? What parallel world are you living in?

And modern engines can do anything... but so can WoW's. They just need to be modified appropriately.

Also, name an engine that has ALL the features WoW's has, other than WoW's engine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    As if I want to raid at 20 fps for these better looking graphics.
    But thats not all it would change. A modern engine makes a vast difference to fps - not just for graphics but for things like the number of players on screen. You want less sharding? More players running around rather than NPCs? You need a new engine.

WoWs engine is already built specifically for WoW and literally only for WoW. you think that if they built a new engine specifically for WoW and literally only for WoW that it would be magically better?

i too agree, 10/10 thread

7+ Year Old Account
    You could spend X amount of millions on improving the graphics engine, but it won't really improve the game at all.

I personally think, that the graphics is the last thing Blizzard needs to improve. Like, just look at Classic which is a return to a worse graphic style and people don't care at all xD WoW is not a crysis game, that builds upon its visual amazing style. It builds upon warm colours, round and smoothe design overall and a slow increase in graphic improvement. If you want to waste money, make a really good looking game and see that nobody cares unless it has good gameplay.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Simple? What parallel world are you living in?

And modern engines can do anything... but so can WoW's. They just need to be modified appropriately.

Also, name an engine that has ALL the features WoW's has, other than WoW's engine itself.
    In terms of engine? Extremely simple.
    If you need to modify engine then it can't do anything.

Unity, Unreal Engine, Frostbite, Redengine. Literally most engines out there.

Also you are mistaking game engine for game scripts and communication system.

15+ Year Old Account
    That video looks like wow 2.0 i do wonder what characters and monsters would look like in that.

In terms of engine? Extremely simple.
    If you need to modify engine then it can't do anything.

Unity, Unreal Engine, Frostbite, Redengine. Literally most engines out there.

Also you are mistaking game engine for game scripts and communication system.
    Duct taping the WoW game onto someone else's game engine makes no sense, because they'd have to pay licensing fees on it. That would rip the guts out of their business model, savage the profitability of the game, and would require more dev hours than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    You could spend X amount of millions on improving the graphics engine, but it won't really improve the game at all.

I personally think, that the graphics is the last thing Blizzard needs to improve. Like, just look at Classic which is a return to a worse graphic style and people don't care at all xD WoW is not a crysis game, that builds upon its visual amazing style. It builds upon warm colours, round and smoothe design overall and a slow increase in graphic improvement. If you want to waste money, make a really good looking game and see that nobody cares unless it has good gameplay.
    Well, lots of people actually do care. I myself would play classic, but I dont think I can stand those horrible graphics for long.

That said BFA looks perfect for me.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    It isn't possible. You can't just change the engine, you need to rewrite everything first. Switching to another engine only creates more problems. Current WoW engine is created for specific MMO in mind and for specific MMO requirements. And it's doing it's job really well. Don't forget that you still need to redo all and every model, animation and texture.

WoW really needs a quantum computer. Quantum computers are fast. Why doesnt WoW use a quantum computer?
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Girrag View Post
    It isn't possible. You can't just change the engine, you need to rewrite everything first. Switching to another engine only creates more problems. Current WoW engine is created for specific MMO in mind and for specific MMO requirements. And it's doing it's job really well. Don't forget that you still need to redo all and every model, animation and texture.
    No you don't need to redo models, animations nor texture (thats actually the only thing you wouldn't need to redo).
    You would only need to bootstrap wow event system, networking layer and game scripts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it looks nice in that UE4 engine, but 'realistic graphics' age really poorly. One can argue current wow doesnt look 'good', but due to its art style it isnt a sight for soar eyes even after being 15 years old in my opinion.

Just look at games like Borderlands 1. Even though it's age, the graphics still hold up alright due to it's art style.

No you don't need to redo models, animations nor texture (thats actually the only thing you wouldn't need to redo).
    You would only need to bootstrap wow event system, networking layer and game scripts.
    That's your assumption, not the actual work needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Exactly.
    This article helps to explain the differences a bit more https://kotaku.com/the-controversy-o...ded-1830435351
    But the point is that the look and feel are just one piece of the game's 'engine.' If you want better graphics, ask for better graphics - and if you look between Classic and today's WoW, that part of the engine has DEFINITELY changed.
    The OP is asking for what he/she thinks is a graphics upgrade. Blizzard reads that as changing the artstyle of WoW itself.
    Hearthstone started with 5 people. It was even called "Team 5".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Well, lots of people actually do care. I myself would play classic, but I dont think I can stand those horrible graphics for long.

That said BFA looks perfect for me.
    I know that there are people like you out there, but when i talk to them, it does not take long before it becomes clear that graphics are not really the core problem. I also love the view of something pretty and organic, but when things are fluid like it is in a game like WoW, its more to do with other parts of the game than graphics when people find trouble to play it.

That said, there are ofcourse people who play and do not play games based upon the graphics, but i personally believe that number is extremly low, atleast when it comes to the main reason for their will to buy a game.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Basically rewrite entire game, yes. And without new models and textures game will look in same way but worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't change historical game against the will of those who like it. you're the kind to take the mona lisa and alter the colors on it to suit your tastes. out :P

I think WoW is fine as it is.

If anything, up the graphics fidelity in another 10 years, otherwise leave it as it is.