Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How hard is vanilla dungeon tanking?

More specifically as a prot warrior.

Get ready to sunder a lot of things.
    RETH

Shit could be tanked as fury with a shield as long as you got a good healer and keep pulls in check.

Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor.

It just depends on how retarded your dps are, honestly. Expect pugs to be very painful for the first few months, then level out once everyone gets the memo that threat management is a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

its not hard in the slightest. just push sunder

make a macro to tell epople to not attack the first 2-3 seconds of your pull. lol they wont listen, but you will want to do that anyway

5+ Year Old Account
    It’s more about patience and hoping the dps doesn’t go crazy and pull agrro off of you.

It's not hard, its frustrating.

If you think it's hard keeping dps under control now... well... you're gonna have a bad time.

It's not hard at all. Keeping aggro on multiple mobs at once can be tough sometimes especially if there's some overeager dps in your group.

Upgrade your gear frequently and run lots of dungeons, and people will love you.

You can tank as Fury 1-60 as Fury. Early levels even with 2 hander(up-to like 40) since threat is more of a deal breaker than damage intake.

There is nothing inherently difficult, just make sure you have some nameplate addon that shows if you have threat on a mob.

Not hard at all

10+ Year Old Account
    So first thing is you gonna put marks on mobs. Moon for sheep for example. They you gonna pull and DPS gonna CC marked mobs. You're tanking skull. You use sunder armour and DPS is waiting until target got 5 stacks of sunder armour, then they start to DPS watching their threat. They need to watch for controlled mobs as well. After first target is dead you're pulling next target and so on. It's not hard but requires DPS who knows what to do.

And don't ever invite hunters. They are gonna pull entire dungeon, kill your healer and steal your shield.

Not all that hard. If you can manage threat on your targets and play with people who aren't entirely brain and can understand which targets to attack and which not to.

as a druid i used to tank most of bosses when our tank died just taunting and popping all cds and ppl starts to heal me saving raids ass until MT gets up i also maintanked garr ragna offtank and second boss of bwl for fun at the end of content... good oldays anyway simply i was trying to say its easy, healer part was mostly hard in vanilla

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    And don't ever invite hunters. They are gonna pull entire dungeon, kill your healer and steal your shield.
    This made me laugh (really), and it’s really spot on.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

As the previous commenter mentioned...

It's all fine until you have a hunter in your party.

Do not pull until the hunter confirms at which level of idiocy they operate at.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor, Sunder Armor.
    Was devastate a TBC ability? Because after the 3 sunders you always used devastate hahah

I miss tanking back then....sometimes. Always liked letting that one rogue or hunter who pulled early die because they couldn’t wait for me or whenever the hunter would misdirect and pull I would be pissed and try and find a way to kill them lol

Quote Originally Posted by roflolmao View Post
    More specifically as a prot warrior.
    Prot spec isn't really needed, prot tree doesn't offer much in terms of damage mitigation or even threat generation

Tanking difficulty is mostly based on your group, can they dps what you are hitting? if yes, tanking is easy. If not its going be frustrating with a lot of ping pong aggro

TAB - sunder TAB - sunder TAB ...

If you are fast or better a seasonal M+ tank, you will be fine as TANK.

Tanks with high APM did well in vanilla, did well with ChallengeModes and did well with M+.
    The average shit-tank who can barely play the role in LEGION/BFA on the next best FOTM tank spec, will be just as awfull as you can imagine.

The hard part will be raid-gear. The better your gear the more difficult job you will have in easier content, thats the charm of classic/vanilla, better gear makes you worse in tanking.
    -