Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Community doesn't feel the same

I have played few hours so far and it's not the same feeling like in 2005. Back then ppl didn't have work/kids and talked to each other, now ppl are adults and more dull (not that much talking to randoms) due to fatique of real life etc.

But the gameplay itself is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    I have played few hours so far and it's not the same feeling like in 2005. Back then ppl didn't have work/kids and talked to each other, now ppl are adults and more dull (not that much talking to randoms) due to fatique of real life etc.

Of course the community is not the same. Anyone who thought it would feel the same have high hopes.

Happy you enjoy the tour else.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its the first day of levelling, you have to have more patience

10+ Year Old Account
    Well atleast queue times and world server down is still like the good'ol days!

I have different views about this. Already made 4 battlenet friends + several "ingame" friends. Two of whom I levelled with for 3-4 hours yesterday. We chatted a lot.
    There were quite many who did not answer or help the slightest, but you'll find those anywhere. I think people were quite focused of just getting away from the initial zone. Personally I spent hours on those 1 mob kill quests due tagging, that's the only point I grouped up before leaving for Goldshire.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, I wound up grouping with a warrior, hunter, and a mage on my priest to clear out Frostmane Hold.

Do you know the last time in retail I grouped up to make leveling easier? Maybe in Cata?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Obviously it's not the same. People are 15 years older, experienced games and/or MMOs and already know everything in classic

When you have a reunion, you wouldn't expect everyone to be the same, like they were when you were in school.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    When you have a reunion, you wouldn't expect everyone to be the same, like they were when you were in school.
    I like that. Well done.
    I'm a crazy taco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Ahaha wtf...people were crying how classics will be more friendly and people will communicate. EEEK! It doesn't matter. Back to BFA we go!
    It will be, you could go to an angry gypsy camp and it would be more friendly and sociable than retail...

At least on Classic you have to group up to do some quests and dungeons, you are guaranteed to meet some new people along the way. 0% chance of this in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post

the kids of today are playing fortnite and the like

maybe you can convince them to play wow, to get your true vanilla kids experience
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

It's almost as if the game was the community, when that's not the case... community is the players, players have changed since then. Grown up and such...you can't relive how it was back then unless you revert to your old self.

Then we have the fact that people were learning the game back then, lot more talk in general chat of where an objective is and what to do.
    Now people know or just use the same habit to go thottbot wowhead.com

I see lots of the community being rekindled during an expansion or hell, even the latest 8.2 patch brought lots of talk in general and helping each other.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-08-27 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Ofc it's not the same. People used to play it as a new game and now it's a game that is 15 years old. Still can't believe how people believe making a classic version of the game will instantly erase 15 years of memory of how the game works and be able to experience it as new again.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

7+ Year Old Account
    All the toxic kids of today are flooding classic because they are mindless sheep that follow what ever is new and cool. Once their minuscule attention spans have had enough, they'll move on and it will be more fun for those that are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Well atleast queue times and world server down is still like the good'ol days!
    Just curious, did they re-instate the precious loot bug? That caused you to be stuck in loot animation and couldn't really do anything. Either wait it out hoping it sorted itself or just relog to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It will be, you could go to an angry gypsy camp and it would be more friendly and sociable than retail...

At least on Classic you have to group up to do some quests and dungeons, you are guaranteed to meet some new people along the way. 0% chance of this in retail.
    GL doing mm+ in solo

My experience was totally different. Had a blast in /1 chatting with some people.

Sure, there were a couple of edgelords trying to shut conversation down saying things like 'no one cares' while contributing absolutely nothing (I'm p sure Golemagg is possibly an unofficial incel server or something), but they were shut down pretty quickly without anybody ever having to resort to insults or general assholery.

Tbh I think it's whatever you make it. If you make an effort to speak to people, they'll probably recipriocate because there are a lot of like-minded people out there. If you just wait for people to be social first, probably not.

I will agree mostly. I just got out of the little starting area for gnomes/dwarves. It feels much different, I gave up when I logged in and it was a sea of people but when I got on this morning the zone was mostly empty. The charter though was way off from original. I realize as the game progressed the way we chatted changed, but this feels like it's either elitist, or people who never played vanilla.

The sense of wonder is gone, people helping out just to help is gone.

Overall kill stealing, resource stealing etc seem way more bountiful. Vanilla when you were clearing mobs to get to a chest or resource for the most part people would see that and back off. Occasionally you would get a jerk, now it seems it's everyone for themselves. You killing 8 mobs to get to a mining node? Well now when you take on the last one "elitistpally" is just going to take it.

I think a lot of people do not remember or never experienced the slow respawns etc and are much more greedy.

I can only hope dungeon groups will let the proper people get gear but I'm not holding my breath. Society outside and inside wow has changed so much in 15 years.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was adult and having kids when started to play wow.
    No change for me today, still can chat with players in Retail.
    Last edited by Kobor; 2019-08-27 at 11:41 AM.

Community seems the same to me. Grouped up with a warrior from Japan for some red defias bandana farming. Was a good time. Saw the same people along the roads leveling. Feels alive.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Seems fine to me. I've been getting buffs and making friends along the way.