Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Best Wow experience and era?

So what/where was your best wow experience? And expansion era?

For me it was levelling in the blood elf zone. I still remember the feeling I got on finally being able to see the a proper elven home, the feeling seeing those incredible interesting floating towers and buildings.. then the whole yellow/autumn feel and finally wow models that actually looked good, with hairstyles and postures I actually found cool. I haven't looked back since.. Probably my favourite time in wow. Until TBC and the blood elf zone, wow to me hadn't quite nailed the fantasy. I wasn't too keen on outland as I was WotLK, but I liked MoP and Legion was probably the most interesting expansion. While BFA the most controversial.

I wish the entire 1-60 was in the blood elf zones, and it wasn't so short.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2019-08-29 at 12:25 AM.

Mists and Legion are pretty tied imo in terms of class fun to play and raiding
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Probably for me TBC and Wrath, most of the people I knew played then, we had a pretty close knit group, no one took anything too seriously and we just had fun, plus before Wrath launched I won the roll on the HH mount, luckiest I've ever been in this game.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    For me it was levelling in the blood elf zone. I still remember the feeling I got on finally being able to see the a proper elven home, the feeling seeing those incredible interesting floating towers and buildings.. then the whole yellow/autumn feel and finally wow models that actually looked good, with hairstyles and postures.
    Same for me. I loved (almost) everything in BC, particularly the new races' zones, I think they are still the best overall even after all these years. I'm especially fond of Eversong Woods, I remember levelling my newb mage in BC... It was freaking awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Probably TBC and Wrath as well for me. I can see the advantages and disadvantages of the designs at the time. I wouldn't neccesarily want all of it today, but it worked for me back then. TBC attunement gating for example is a huge double edged sword in my opinion.

Legion had alot of awsome story and class focus, which made the expansion dear to me, despite all the fuckery with AP and even the shit Blizzard pulled with the Nether Slotmachine Crucible. Suramar was also a great experience.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-08-29 at 08:32 AM.

Best experience was leveling my first character trough the NE zones and ashenvale, can't recreate the same sense of discovery and amazement.

Wrath by far, everything about it was a far superior experience for me - the only xpac where i paid attention to the story also It was decent.
    Decent dungeons, raids, story, classes felt good, zones great, nice theme (visuals), enjoyed the talent system back then and I met some great players at the time (They all quit end of Cata though sadly to never return)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Imo people's best wow experience will be at the time they had the best group of people to play the game with and will have much less to do with the game itself.
    I agree indeed!

For me personally it is TBC then close second will be MoP then Wotlk.

MoP did the most things right for me.
    Cata is a very close second (before they nerfed the dungeons).

tbc arena i guess
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

I moved my first vanilla NE character to the HUMAN starting zone (solo ~3h travel), to be able to get reputation (grey quests did not give rep) and able to use the HUMAN mount later on. I learned the hard way the it was impossible to do, since even doing every rep quest, it was not enough and there were no reputation turn in quests yet in the game. I was devastated and when I bought my NE epic mount in the early days on vanilla, I was not really happy about it.

The game changed and suddenly everything turned out great.

A few weeks after vanilla EU release the old mounts got removed from the game

My plan B mount got very rare in this game

And my chaotic WoW experience with many turns and surprises just started
    -

The first time entering Outland and Northrend felt like amazing experiences which is hard to recreate. Also raiding the first time in Karazhan, Ulduar and ICC all felt magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Imo people's best wow experience will be at the time they had the best group of people to play the game with and will have much less to do with the game itself.
    Agree For the majority of people the best period of WoW will likely be the one where they started to play (which is also likely the one they played with friends the most).

Personally I love the leveling in the pre-cata zones in general, and I reall liked WotLK endgame (which is where I started at). Even though I'd change some things like making dungeons a bit harder, not add RDF, not add catch-up gear that makes raids obsolete, etc, I still had an amazing time both in raiding and PvP. I also think it was one of the best periods regarding class design and balance, along with MoP.

As far as starting zones go, I think Mulgure/Durotar, and then Barrens, will always be my favorite. The visuals, ambience and music is just phenomenal there. Eversong Woods and Ghostlands are a close second, they might very well be some of the best zones in WoW to date. On the Alliance side Teldrassil would be my favorite, also because of the music and ambience there (though I still have nightmares about being stuck as a noob with spawning mobs in those cursed tree-caves).

Vanilla beta untill killing LK in ICC... and now Classic.
    Any time between these two i regret playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to explain without going into a lot of detail, and I don't really feel like doing that.

Wrath will always have a special place in my heart though, because it's when I started playing seriously, so huge nostalgia for it.
    But honestly, looking back, I think I had the most fun during Dragon Soul.. Was in a fantastic guild, and had a huge fucking blast. If it weren't for my guild at the time, I'd probably have stopped playing around then

Played since Vanilla and my best experience was MoP, followed by TBC. TBC was the better game at the time compared to Vanilla, although I almost instantly hated flying and felt it ruined world pvp which was a memorable scenario in Vanilla. MoP was a very good expansion and doesn't get the full appreciation it deserves, mainly because 5.4 lasted FOREVER. I can understand what a pain that was, but everything before the content drought was a good experience. I had fun with PvP, Raiding, Cmodes, Dungeons, hell even dailies and a feature that was added at the end of Cata, LFR. To this day when I level a new character my favorite part is doing MoP dungeons.

Probably a 3-way tie between TBC, MoP and Legion for me.

Wrath.

Wrath was the most enjoyable expansion and by far the most epic era of wow, it was the peak of the origional games potential and the point in which it evolved from reaching 7-8 million back in TBC to 12.5 million in Wrath's peak and Cataclysm's early days.

Wrath was, by far, the best expansion not just because of numbers but because of its design.

Until Wrath, Raiding was a gentlemans club when it came to accessibility, which meant many casual players never got to experience raiding in Vanillia and TBC because of how tight knit and exclusive raiders wanted it to be, it was universally accepted in TBC that only 1% of players ever got to experience Kil'jaeden in Sunwell Plataeu which meant only 1% of the playerbase got to raid end game. It was the hardcore raiders wet dream, but it also meant so many players were left out.

Wrath built around what made Vanillia and TBC good and "added" to it by completing the cycle, it added content accessable to the casual while making content for the hardcore. Ulduar hardmode was still remembered fondly by alot of hardcore raiders, while some still loved ICC 25 man.

In terms of PVP it added an entire "zone" dedicated to world pvp, Wintergrasp was amazing, then you had the way daily quests were done in Wrath which felt more productive than most of the previous daily grinds in TBC.

Heroic dungeons were more accessible to the masses which benefitted the game in its inital long run.

And heirlooms added something most never got to truly experience, having more than one toon.

And of course, the Death Knight was the coolest addition to the game in terms of classes and class design.

So id definatley say Wrath wins this one, Wrath was "the" best of the old expansions in terms of sheer design philosophy and build it had Vanillia's journey, TBC's hardcore end game for the truly devoted, it had amazing pvp and pve experiences, some of the "best" arena seasons in wow and honestly the most enjoyable new class ever added in the game, and more raids and dungeons and content in general than any of the expansions "since" Wrath.

So yeah, Wrath, by far Wrath.

And while it did cancel features like the dance studio, and crystalsong forest and azjol nerub, it had so much content in general id never forget it. Flying in that place was amazing, everyone loved Stormpeaks, Dalaran and Icecrown.

Anyway, my fanboying aside, as someone who played since patch 1.4 vanillia I honestly will say Wrath was my favourate.

wotlk followed by Legion and 3rd would be MoP for me.

TBC was the pinnacle for me