Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Good GOD the OLD talent trees were SOOOOO MUCH better

I had actually bought into the idea of the new retail talent system being good ... until ... coming back to play Classic.
    The old talent trees were so much more interesting.

Hope you are enjoying!

i approve this message

I think the style was better but as was pointed out when they made the change, they could have been more diverse in outcome, 5 talent points to give you 1% crit 5 times isn't that exciting, BUT the spec defining talents definitely were. So "keep" the old style, fine but ensure that each tier had at least something that would make you want to pick and choose, rather than mostly bland "X does a bit more" stuff, and a cool ability every 2 or 3 tiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

Well technically - it APPEARED to be so much better, but in fact was pretty much as good as what we have now.

Boycotting Blizzard is like a lactose intolerant person boycotting milk purchases to protest about cruelty to cows, then eating his hamburger whilst doing so.
    If you want to protest against China - then do something meaningful and protest against China

I've been thinking that they need to bring this back for retail and it would instantly make leveling SO much better. I would alter it for the retail design though. Basically make it function like Legion artifacts. You can only put points into your one spec, and you will unlock all of the talents at max level. It would make each level feel interesting and would give you some choice as you level up so you can unlock different abilities first or last depending on how you decide to level. Would be kinda nice since you're just given everything anyway.

Meh, its nice and all to get a point to spend every level so it makes leveling feel more productive but other than that talents are just typical increase damage or increase range or increase ability, blahblah. I would hardly call them 'interesting.'

Most of us that are going to be raiding or doing any form of semi serious end game will all end up with the same cookie cutter specs.

Until you get declined for not copying icy-veins/wowhead while trying to be a special snowflake about something that was known 15 years ago about how you should be specced.

In before LFR heroes tell me "I play how i want".

In before LFR heroes report me for stating the truth.

PS. Sure, the feel of speccing every level is fun,anything after that, you are simply showing your horrendous level of game skill/player, call it whatever.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-08-29 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I think the style was better but as was pointed out when they made the change, they could have been more diverse in outcome, 5 talent points to give you 1% crit 5 times isn't that exciting, BUT the spec defining talents definitely were. So "keep" the old style, fine but ensure that each tier had at least something that would make you want to pick and choose, rather than mostly bland "X does a bit more" stuff, and a cool ability every 2 or 3 tiers.
    Even though it might not seem that great to get only 1% crit with each point, it still allows much more diversity and flexibility in specs. There are many different hybrid specs that can be created that are good for certain play styles.

It also just feels pretty good to slowly see your power grow with each level. It's weird how it works but the pace at which you grow in power just feels really good.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    I had actually bought into the idea of the new retail talent system being good ... until ... coming back to play Classic.
    The old talent trees were so much more interesting.

Hope you are enjoying!
    yup. theres something to be said for feeling like you are making progress every level.

I honestly don’t know if they truly were better, but from a player perspective rather than design perspective, they feel so much better.

Whilst many choices might seem like a no-brainer, it feels rewarding when you have committed x points to get y, when you get y.

I quit during the MoP pre-patch because of the revamp. That was my final straw. They had promised with the cata revamp that they made the system more future proof, not warranting any further revamps in the foreseeable future. I grudgingly accepted that, but was let down and let my voice be heard with a cancel.

This is not vindication for me. It is harmony.

Troll post?

They were better because you had 1 viable option for a build xd ?

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Xemioza View Post
    Troll post?

They were better because you had 1 viable option for a build xd ?
    What class did you (or are you) playing?

There are SEVERAL specs to choose from for a variety of reasons.
    <Multipass>

Are you fucking high? The old talents were BORING! What's so interesting in adding percentile increases to abilities? The only interesting talents are usually added as baseline abilities in Retail.

Also, you're forgetting cookie cutter specs exist. There is only one way to build each spec optimally (Unless it's a garbage spec, which counts for most of them in Classic). You're only gimping yourself and looking like a complete noob if you don't build a class correctly.
    Last edited by Darkguyver2020; 2019-08-29 at 02:18 AM.

Well, it feels better for leveling. A new talent per level really feels nice.

Personally I enjoy switching up specs do to content and situation in retail.

They should trial a classic mode talent/ability system in retail, maybe only have it available in the non serious parts of the game (levelling/wqs, random battlegrounds, normal dungeons etc).

If they find everyone switching to classic mode to do their wqs/dailies, then they know they need to get rid of the modern talent/ability meta.

They are nice of leveling but not as cool as BFA for adding new passives and spells at max level.

If would be great if there were both systems together.

For lvling easily.

At end game, probably slightly worse or about the same depending on class.

There is still almost one set of talents to use while raiding, another for m+, and for pvp for most classes. Most of the talent rows have a clear best. Many for every situation you would use.
    There are a million fine looking women in this world but not all of them will bring you lasagna at work. Most of them will just cheat on you.

its almost like per level constant small choices are more engaging than one every 15 levels and white noise and nothing inbetween
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash