Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Until you get declined for not copying icy-veins/wowhead while trying to be a special snowflake about something that was known 15 years ago about how you should be specced.

    In before LFR heroes tell me "I play how i want".

    In before LFR heroes report me for stating the truth.
    With all your hatred, you surely will be a great addition to your realm community in classic.
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

  2. #262
    The Unstoppable Force Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    23,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Xemioza View Post
    Troll post?
    Probably a legit opinion.

    I disagree...80%. I liked that you could hybrid, Borderlands style, if you so chose. Also, you get something every single level.

    But there was less "choice" than it seemed. A lot of options are "mandatory" stat boosters that offered nothing to gameplay but "you die less". Here's my only spec, Protection Warrior:



    White circles are the purely defensive skills that I would call "mandatory". That's 30 points. Blue circles are ICV's additions in every build. That's 38. You have 51. That's not a ton, considering you always have to build from the ground up.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    Are you fucking high? The old talents were BORING! What's so interesting in adding percentile increases to abilities? The only interesting talents are usually added as baseline abilities in Retail.

    Also, you're forgetting cookie cutter specs exist. There is only one way to build each spec optimally (Unless it's a garbage spec, which counts for most of them in Classic). You're only gimping yourself and looking like a complete noob if you don't build a class correctly.
    Nah man there's multiple ways to spec because you have to sacrifice something, always. You can't have every good talent, so you have to pick and choose, and while a rogue may have an optimal raiding spec, it doesn't mean he has an optimal PVP spec. Even then, a sword rogue might go combat daggers because swords are highly sought after. Dal rends are prebis, but it's really easy to get a lobotimizer with av rep and it has higher dps. Also maybe you can't get to 12% hit. Maybe you just enjoy the dagger play style more. There is no constant optimal situation.
    Even a mage has options. Sure most will go deep frost, but arcane is really powerful in dungeons and PVP, and how you spec will differ from others.

    DPS meters are a meme in classic. How much damage you do doesn't matter because a fury warrior is just gunna beat you anyway.

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Meh, its nice and all to get a point to spend every level so it makes leveling feel more productive but other than that talents are just typical increase damage or increase range or increase ability, blahblah. I would hardly call them 'interesting.'

    Most of us that are going to be raiding or doing any form of semi serious end game will all end up with the same cookie cutter specs.
    You are always going to end up with a cookie cutter spec as no matter how you twist things, there is always a "best option". But at least the old system felt you had more control and it was fun to click so many times and each click improved your character... now its just 5 clicks and done.

  5. #265
    I like the old talent trees cause it was more of a "build" than a complete "spec".

    Talent trees felt rewarding, and made you excited to get a new skill or be on your way to unlock something you really want.

    Also levelling is much slower, and getting that talent point makes you feel so much more powerful

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    I literally said signature skills in my first post
    And I literally pointed out how and why that was a misrepresentation of the reality, unless you're super, super crap at WoW. Reading comprehension or English, at least, not your strong suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptacon1 View Post
    Even though it might not seem that great to get only 1% crit with each point, it still allows much more diversity and flexibility in specs. There are many different hybrid specs that can be created that are good for certain play styles.

    It also just feels pretty good to slowly see your power grow with each level. It's weird how it works but the pace at which you grow in power just feels really good.
    This is pure BS. There was much less flexibility in specs in vanilla than now.

    However, it feels so much better to actually have reward when leveling - this is what makes it fun when you are still not lvl 60.

  8. #268
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    5,129
    It may seem like there is amazing customizability but there isn't. You have to put 5 points into each tier of a specialization and you usually have 2 or 3 or 4 choices to put them in. All the specs wind up being something like 41/10/0 or 31/20/0 or something in between them. Sure you could go some crazy 17/17/17 build but you'd miss out on each specs 21 point talent, which is a waste really. And that's without labeling each individual talent.

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Adviceanon View Post
    You can't see anyone's talents. I've gotten away with healing as an rsham with 31 points in enhance all the way through aq. Raids just need bodies bro.
    And then they ask for mana tide and kick you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kek280 View Post
    I remember when blizzard fought tooth and nail saying the new talents were better because they incentivize more choices on the spot and removed cookie cutter builds, the goddamn irony.
    And they are still right with this decision.

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    And then they ask for mana tide and kick you.
    Been on pservers for years and it's never been a problem. I'm in the melee group anyway dropping wf totem spamming r1 chain heal why would I need mana tide. You don't even have to lie about it, just say "I'm hybrid spec, no MT". If the fight is taking too long that's a dps issue, if the other healers are ooming thats because they didn't bring runes and pots and/or aren't downranking. Nobody is gunna give you shit because you don't have 1 spell.

  11. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by Adviceanon View Post
    Been on pservers for years and it's never been a problem. I'm in the melee group anyway dropping wf totem spamming r1 chain heal why would I need mana tide. You don't even have to lie about it, just say "I'm hybrid spec, no MT". If the fight is taking too long that's a dps issue, if the other healers are ooming thats because they didn't bring runes and pots and/or aren't downranking. Nobody is gunna give you shit because you don't have 1 spell.
    You clearly did not raid past BWL in vanilla.

  12. #272
    If you think the old talent trees with 90% useless or boring talents are good it's because you are an absolute simpleton.

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    I like the old talent trees cause it was more of a "build" than a complete "spec".

    Talent trees felt rewarding, and made you excited to get a new skill or be on your way to unlock something you really want.

    Also levelling is much slower, and getting that talent point makes you feel so much more powerful
    I can't say as they felt rewarding at all. Having to waste points on "increase crit chance by 1 percent" talents to get to the ones I actually want was not fun or interesting. When I finally got the talent I wanted, I didn't feel like a kid on Christmas morning, but instead walking out of the dentist's office after a tooth pull. It wasn't anticipation and fulfillment, it was dread and relief.

    That said, I would like things to go back to where specs weren't so rigidly defined. My arcane mage has no fire spells, which just doesn't feel right.

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

    I use the same mentality everywhere, there are correct way of doing things, and there are wrong ways.

    You are given the correct way, but you insist on the wrong way, like anyone cares about your existence and choices, and you wont be discarded for the person that chose the correct way.
    Christ I hope you never become someone's boss

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    You clearly did not raid past BWL in vanilla.
    No like I said I've been through aq on pservers lmao. You didn't even play "vanilla" because noone that did calls it that. It's either classic or pre-bc.
    You're really overstating how much a single ability matters and acting really pompous about it when I guarantee there will be tons of paladins and shamans playing hybrid specs and still topping healing meters because gear is so much more important.

  15. #275
    Herald of the Titans Alex86el's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Greece-EU
    Posts
    2,633
    choices? haha WHAT?

    it is more interesting as a system type,
    but it offers close to zero choice in reality.

    yeah sure, it is satisfying to have a talent to spend on each level..
    but in reality you had close to zero choice on what your talents would be, based on the content you focused on.
    the most choice you were ever going to get with the old system was whether you got improved wands or fear resistance, for example..
    or where to put that 1/5 pointless talent to move on.

  16. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by Adviceanon View Post
    Christ I hope you never become someone's boss

    - - - Updated - - -



    No like I said I've been through aq on pservers lmao. You didn't even play "vanilla" because noone that did calls it that. It's either classic or pre-bc.
    You're really overstating how much a single ability matters and acting really pompous about it when I guarantee there will be tons of paladins and shamans playing hybrid specs and still topping healing meters because gear is so much more important.
    You have no idea what are you talking about. At all.

    Also lol at pre-bc. No wonder our main acc is probably banned here.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    You have no idea what are you talking about. At all.

    Also lol at pre-bc. No wonder our main acc is probably banned here.
    I know internet arguments is probably all you have but I'm not even worried about it. I'll hit 60, do my meme spec, get raid invites and get gear. Reliability, performance, attendance and social skills are so much more important than a single talent point that isn't even important unless you're pushing naxx.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by pappaslop View Post
    You don't see the difference?
    Not really, no. I see that we get potentially far more actual abilities from talents now than we used to and I see if you really want to not min/max you can mix stuff up. I don’t find using 5 talent points for 5% increased dodge as a dps just so I can reach 1 ability I do actually want compelling or interesting. I find that annoying now as much as I did back in Vanilla.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    And I literally pointed out how and why that was a misrepresentation of the reality, unless you're super, super crap at WoW. Reading comprehension or English, at least, not your strong suit.
    Sure, because by just questing, you'd have all of your relevant spells and mount money at 40
    sure.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    Sure, because by just questing, you'd have all of your relevant spells and mount money at 40
    sure.
    Moving the goalposts tiring work, is it? You said you had to grind boars to afford the copper to buy your signature skills and I pointed out that that is only true if you're, what was your twitch phrase? Pepega?

    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    yes, because having to grind boars to get copper to buy your classes signature attack is compelling gameplay
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-08-29 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •