Thread: Bard Concept

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Only time time that i liked Bard concept was in Dragon Age Origins, since then all other rpg+mmos failed bard class for me.
    So Bart can probably be playable as a healer Paladin/Monk mashup. Or ranged hunter/mage mix. Active seals/auras/self-buffs, can be fun game-play.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    So Bart can probably be playable as a healer Paladin/Monk mashup. Or Melee hunter/mage mix. Active seals/auras/self-buffs, can be fun game-play.
    Pretty much this, still didnt get why Blizz devs removed aura-dance from warrior,DK,paladin seals. (i loved them all)

All my macros at time of MOP, for warrior and DK ...... sweeeeet times.

Best Bard of all times

FUN:
    Who is better?
    WITCHER

or
    VAMPYR
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2019-09-01 at 01:20 AM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Lorewalker Cho is the most obvious example. He fits the description to a 'T'. Russell Brower can cast frost spells by playing his lute. Bards aren't only about music. They are also about stories and history. So an argument could be made that some members of the Explorer's League, for example, could be bards. Brann Bronzebeard could technically be called a "kind of bard" considering he loves stories and is always in the search for more.
    Not just that, we have war drum rider and other things as well, even Lvl70ETC is semi-canon tbh. Depending on where the next expansion is set you can also just have it as thing among the natives and we "worldy azerothians" just learn it.

It's not entirely impossible to make it work, if you can divorce yourself from the retarded shit that some asian mmos have pulled in the past. There is no need to incorporate the instrument into the weapon, singing has been a huge staple of bards as well in the past, no need for guitar axes or playing chellos with katanas. Pulling out your flute for a quick channel spell also doesn't kill the animators. Usually you'd just go with the music part as singing and give a few abilties for CC and some buffs. And before people say you need a whole supporter niche for that, frankly shamans atm give more buffs than some bard classes in other games, you don't need a support niche as long as you already have some support stuff.

That being said, it's still way too "not cheap warhammer rip-off wank" to make it into wow. The wuxia monk shit we have is probably the most you can get from Blizzard.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-09-01 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Well there we go, it wouldn't be that much a stretch if Blizzard wanted to implement them. It's a matter of 'want' rather than 'can.'

I do think that a profession would be the best place for a Bard. Crafting instruments that buff/Heal people via trinkets or weapon enchants would take care of the Bard concept completely. It could make a solid replacement for First Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I do think that a profession would be the best place for a Bard. Crafting instruments that buff/Heal people via trinkets or weapon enchants would take care of the Bard concept completely. It could make a solid replacement for First Aid.
    I'll take it. First Aid was always boring to me but if I care about the profession because it's fun, like engineering, I'll play it and Bard might be the only way we get to rp any form of Bard since they don't seem keen on the Bard as a class idea. I'd just make my outlaw rogue and monk pick it up as a profession and I'd be satisfied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I'll take it. First Aid was always boring to me but if I care about the profession because it's fun, like engineering, I'll play it and Bard might be the only way we get to rp any form of Bard since they don't seem keen on the Bard as a class idea. I'd just make my outlaw rogue and monk pick it up as a profession and I'd be satisfied.
    Yeah, Bards seem heavily tied to Rogues.

maybe we'll see Bard as the next class. They spotlighted that one guy at Blizzcon to the point the put him in game, Legion reintroduced the Wildhammer Bard from Cata, who was the first non-ETC bard to be in the game, just to pop him in the Rogue class hall. Now they have a bard in the Classic commercial too. Yeah, I'm thinking Bard's the next class.

I would die happy for a bard, i don't see it happening tho

I can already imagine the cinematics where horde and alliance clash with some guys running into war with guitars.

Surely, one can understand this doesn't fit WoW. WoW doesn't do high fantasy like other mmo's do. It doesn't do world building. It's all about big weapons/powers and war.

Like, i accept almost every class sugestion based on the existing lore, but bard is just dumb. The band thing is a joke. It is not lore. Even in heroes ETC is a warrior tank type.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-09-01 at 03:01 AM.

bard as a class is always stupid, always. as far as lore goes.

bards tend to also be OP and the most fun classes in games.

sounds like itd fit perfect as the next class in wow

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I can already imagine the cinematics where horde and alliance class with some guys running into war with guitars.

Surely, one can understand this doesn't fit WoW. WoW doesn't do high fantasy like other mmo's do. It doesn't do world building. It's all about big weapons/powers and war.

Like, i accept almost every class sugestion based on the existing lore, but bard is just dumb. The band thing is a joke. It is not lore. Even in heroes ETC is a warrior tank type.
    To be fair, Warcraft has its share of dumb shit. It just doesn't receive the focus of cinematics and cut scenes. The main story revolves around the more serious content but quests and zones in-game feature high fantasy things like portable potties and picking up excrement.

Do you know how silly it would be to see a gnome charging into battle carrying a sword bigger than him with his stubby legs? We've never seen that in a cinematic, have we? Yet we know it exists in-game and in Azeroth, it just gets no focus. Bards don't have to be the focus, and no one expects them to be if they were implemented. Just like Monks have had zero presence since Mists of Pandaria ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    But seriously tho, how is this being able to be applied to the lore of Warcraft? Serious question.

I understand you may have seen bards on other RPGs but in the case of Warcraft I would pretty much see them becoming some sort of a secondary profession.
    In WoW, the vast majority of magic is utilized via sound. More specifically words. Some are called Hymns, hexes, curses, shouts, prayers, power words, death words, etc. They're all forms of spoken sound. So we know that Warcraft magic is summoned via sound. Musicians manipulate and master sound.

Also in Warcraft, we have an npc known as Murmur. He is the elemental lord of sound which means that sounds is just as viable an offensive and defensive magic as the other elements such as fire, water, earth, wind, etc. Murmur is so powerful that he's one of only two beings in the entire Warcraft universe with the title of "destroyer of worlds" and it's canon that he can destroy worlds with a single whisper. Bards could be musicians who learn to manipulate music or lyrics to channel the elemental power of sound.

Also there are already several items in-game that are music themed. We've got magical flutes that when played force other players to dance, summon creatures, etc. So Blizzard lore had already long ago established that there is magical power in sound and that music itself can be used to manipulate/control others. Bard would simply be a class that specialized in that one school of elemental magic. And that would fit 100% with the existing lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I can already imagine the cinematics where horde and alliance clash with some guys running into war with guitars.

Can't have any silliness in a game where we turn people into sheep, dig cherries out of shit, Bladestorm turns warriors into helicopters, corgi goggles, Johnny Awesome, the Lichenking, Maximillian of Northshire, Linken, Blightboar, etc.
    Last edited by ChampionChains; 2019-09-01 at 03:07 AM.

Bard Fan Concept

So I've decided to post my Bard class fan concept, here. As with my previous class idea, this is not a complete concept, just (hopefully) enough to give a good idea of how the class and its specs would play out if it existed in the game.

Please do not mind the lack of artwork, icons, lackluster ability names, etc. I opted to focus more into describing how the abilities work than coming up with good names or searching for art. So, on with the show:

Fencing. Melee dps spec. Bards are known for having a "flair for the dramatic", and since they're also proficient with swords, why not give them a fighting style also known for its "flair for the dramatic", a.k.a., fencing?
    • Spec Mechanics:
      • Mastery: Multistrike. Fencing Bards have a low % (based on mastery) of their auto-attacks and attack abilities to strike a second time for 30% damage, hitting a random target within melee range in front of the Bard. (does not target CC'ed mobs or neutral mobs not in combat). Can strike your current target.
      • Spec Mechanic: Blade dancing. Certain abilities give the bard unique, specific buffs. The buffs, by themselves, do nothing, but when a "finisher" ability, it consumes up to two attack buffs the bard has to gain extra attributes. Casting an ability a second time before using the "finisher" does not grant a second buff of the same type, only refreshes its duration.
      • Weapons: 1-H swords and daggers.
      • Cannot dual-wield. Instead, gain double the primary and secondary stats from weapon.
      • Resource: Energy.

• Example Abilities:
      • Flunge: Jump toward the target, striking it with a stab of its weapon.
      • Remise: Strike your target three times in rapid succession.
      • Stab: Impale your target with your weapon, causing it to Bleed for minor physical damage for 10 seconds.
      • Pomel Strike: stun your target for 6 seconds.
      • Flourish: Slash with your weapon three times in front of you, hitting all enemy targets in a cone, and parrying all attacks for 1 second.
      • Second Intention: Feint to deceive your opponent, lowering its defense to increase damage taken from the Bard's next attack by 15%.
      • Passata Sotto: Gain 40% dodge for 10 seconds. Each dodge demoralizes the attacker, reducing the damage it deals to you by 5% for ten seconds, stacking and refreshing the duration.
      • Coup de Grace: Deals heavy physical damage, plus extra attributes depending on the buffs the Bard has:
        • Remise buff: Guarantees Multistrike proc.
        • Stab: The Bleed dot becomes Severe Wound, a medium physical DoT that also reduces the target's haste by 15%.
        • Flourish: Hits all targets within 5-yards of the target.

• Example Talents:
      • Strike Low: Flunge reduces the opponent's movement speed by 50% for 5 seconds.
      • Momentum: Flourish causes your next Remise to strike three opponents once, instead of one target three times. If only two targets are in range, your current target is struck twice. If only one target is in range, Remise behaves normally.
      • Preparation: Active ability. Reduces the energy cost of all abilities by 50% for 10 seconds.
      • Seize the Advantage: Replaces Coup de Grace. Does not deal damage. Instead, it empowers the Bard:
        • Remise: increases Multistrike proc chance by 40% for 10 seconds.
        • Stab: deal 15% increased damage for 10 seconds, as long as the target is affected by the Bard's bleed.
        • Flourish: your Multistrike procs hits two more times for 10 seconds.

Minstrel. Holy Spellcaster spec.
    • Main Mechanics:
      • Mastery: Increases holy damage dealt by a %.
      • Spec Mechanics: 'Chord' abilities (instant cast) can be used while casting other spells.
      • Weapons: 1-h swords, 1-h maces, daggers, off-hand.
      • Resource: Mana.

• Example Abilities:
      • Dissonant Chord: Instant cast. Plays a dissonant note with your instrument to cause minor Holy damage to your target and slow movement speed by 30% for 4 seconds. Can be used while casting.
      • Sharp Chord: Instant cast. Plays a single, sharp note with your instrument to cause Holy damage to your target. Can be used while casting.
      • Arrowsong: Summons 4 Holy arrows to shoot your target.
      • Ode to Heroes: Create an image of one of your race's heroes to strike once at your enemy once, dealing Holy damage.
      • Victory Song: Deals Holy damage on the target, and empowers your next Chord by 50%. Can only be used on targets below 30% HP.
      • In the Spotlight: Summons a pillar of Light on the target area with a 8-yard radius, for 8 seconds. Those within the Spotlight take increasing Holy damage per second.
      • Ballad of the Rogue: Gain 50% dodge chance and allows spellcasting while moving, but reduces spellcasting speed by 25% if casting while moving.
      • Lullaby: puts a target to sleep for one minute. Any damage dispells the effect.

• Example Talents:
      • Stage Fright: In the Spotlight now has a small chance of causing enemy targets within the pillar of light to be momentarily struck in fear, stunning them for 0.5 seconds and rooting them in place for 3 seconds afterwards, every time it deals damage.
      • Somber Notes: Dissonant Chord also reduces enemy target's haste by 10%.
      • Song of Sins Past: Active ability. Puts a debuff on your target, causing it to take minor Holy damage every time they attack.
      • Imminent Victory: Passive. Replaces Victory Song. All your Chord abilities deal 25% more damage to targets below 30% HP.

Songweaver. Holy Healer spec.
    • Main Mechanics:
      • Mastery: Encore. Critical strikes and heals reduce the mana cost and increase haste of your next spell by a % if it's a repeat of the previous ability. If the spell has a cooldown, reduce its cooldown by the same % instead of reducing mana or increasing haste.
      • Weapons: 1-h swords, 1-h maces, daggers, off-hand.
      • Resource: Mana.

• Example Abilities:
      • Inspiring Words: Quick, mana-ineffective heal.
      • Inspiring Song: Slow, efficient heal.
      • Word of Caution: Instant cast. Puts a damage absorption shield around the target, reducing the damage taken from the next attack by a small amount. Does not stack.
      • Aria of The Light: Channeled AoE heal around the caster.
      • Melody of the Brothers: Equalizes your health with your target's.
      • Hymn of Life: 3-second channeled spell. Immediately heal the target for 50% of the damage it takes for every attack during the channeled duration.
      • Hymn of Respite: 3-second channeled spell. Restores 15% mana per second for the caster. Reduce spell costs for 30% afterwards for two seconds for each second spent channeling.
      • Crescendo: Increases healing done by 5% for 25 seconds. Every spell cast adds one stack of Crescendo, but does not refreshes the duration.
      • Anthem of Heroes: Brings all dead party members back to life with 35% health and mana. Cannot be cast in combat.

• Example Talents:
      • Memorized Hymn: You can move while channeling your Hymns.
      • Brothers-in-arms: Melody of the Brothers now also heal both you and your target for 10% of max health.
      • Catchy Tune: Your Inspiring Words and Inspiring Song are catchy, lingering in your target's mind, causing those spells to repeat their effects on the target for 25% of the amount healed after 4 seconds.
      • Song of Life: Replaces Hymn of Life. Doubles the target's current and max health for 4 seconds.

• Class buff: One for All, and All for One!: Increases haste by 30% for all party and raid members for 40 sec. Allies receiving this effect will become Exhausted and unable to benefit from "One for All, and All for One!" or similar abilities again for 10 min. (I just had to, after working on the fencing spec)

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    Can't have any silliness in a game where we turn people into sheep, dig cherries out of shit, Bladestorm turns warriors into helicopters, corgi goggles, Johnny Awesome, the Lichenking, Maximillian of Northshire, Linken, Blightboar, etc.
    Haven't you heard? WoW is a serious game. No silliness allowed!

I mean, it's not like TBC's intro cinematic had a mage literally transforming a tauren into a sheep...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Haven't you heard? WoW is a serious game. No silliness allowed!

I mean, it's not like TBC's intro cinematic had a mage literally transforming a tauren into a sheep...
    I think its a cool concept very cool actually

So apparently the mods saw fit to merge my class concept thread with this one. Not what I would have preferred, but oh well.

On the topic of bards not existing, remember the War kodo or whatever that unit was called in wc3. A mounted drummer.

Sure, the unit had a single bard like skill, but it still sets a minimal precedence of music being used for combat. Perhaps bard could be a healing spec withing a larger class similar to how the brewmaster was treated.

Bard sounds stupid.

There are alot more fitting classes that would fit in this game then a Bard class.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Bard sounds stupid.

There are alot more fitting classes that would fit in this game then a Bard class.
    But a tauren being turned into a sheep, mages walking around with staves that have a sheep head that moves around, paladins running around wearing so little that even He-Man would think he's overdressed, warriors dual-wielding fish, pick cherries out of poop, going into an outhouse to get amberseeds out of your own poop, etc...

None of that is "stupid" and all of that "fit the game", right? But a bard, somehow, cannot? Even though bards and bard-like characters and abilities exist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    On the topic of bards not existing, remember the War kodo or whatever that unit was called in wc3. A mounted drummer.

Sure, the unit had a single bard like skill, but it still sets a minimal precedence of music being used for combat. Perhaps bard could be a healing spec withing a larger class similar to how the brewmaster was treated.
    Except the basis of every expansion class has had roots in both factions. You can't base a class on the War Kodo, because it is too Horde centric.