Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I dont know if your solution is an amazing gold mine.

Because i dont know if casuals would be extremely happy seeing their gear only powerful in "world content" unless, ofcourse, blizzard made some amazing world content to support this.

On a similar note to what he had mentioned, I have always thought that Bliz should just bite the bullet and make 3 distinct gear sets... one for instanced PvE, one for instanced PvP, and one for world zones. This SHOULD almost eliminate gear envy, which is the root of all evil in game design.

For instance, World Zone gear would involve quest chains and rep grinds and would give massive bonuses in that element, however it would just be baseline (starter) gear in any battleground, dungeon or raid. They could then toss in massively powerful world zone bosses to be beaten by those in top-notch world gear, but the same bosses will generally trash those people in pure mythic or pvp gear (because their gear will be like starter gear in the world zones).

Basically, just let everyone excel at what they want to and then no one in a raid should ever be weeping because some perceived “scrub” is wearing their awesome raid gear.
    Last edited by Wingspan; Yesterday at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    This SHOULD almost eliminate gear envy, which is the root of all evil in game design.
    Uh, that's a pretty bold statement to make without any substantiating proof. I'd argue it's the power of gear that's the root of all evil in game design and if you think that Blizzard would somehow be able to balance three entirely self-contained versions of gear without any negative overlap I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that you may be interested in.

Thank god those who are against it don't run large companies that thrive off casuals (as WoW has since vanilla), go check WoD's numbers, they basically made running LFR pointless and while it wasn't the sole cause, I'm sure it contributed to the chaos that followed

Quote Originally Posted by Hittion View Post
    Wildstar caters to the same players bfa does.. it was a game designed around grinding..

I would argue bfa only caters to hardcores. The amount of time you spend just grinding currencies is absurd.
    Alright dude, this is just ridiculous now. WildStar went bankrupt because of shit like this. WildStar's failure is proof that "hardcore MMO" appeals to a demographic that is entirely unprofitable. Classic's recent success isn't proof that Blizzard should undo all of the QoL features in the 15-years since it was relevant as the common conflation is that people like Classic because it lacks these features and not simply because they're interested in a version of WoW that has otherwise been off limits. Sure, some players might like that but again, that fraction of the playerbase -- while represented well on forums like this -- doesn't make up the vast majority.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    -bullshit-
    you fucking realize you just proved his point right?
    wildstar promoted itself, and sold well, as a raid focused MMORPG.
    what it turned out to be was a open-world casual focused MMORPG with heavy korean roots in it's design as most of the actual content was just grinding to be able to do the raids, which is exactly what WoW has become.
    lie, bullshit, and pretend all you want, facts are facts and you can't bullshit people forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    you fucking realize you just proved his point right?
    wildstar promoted itself, and sold well, as a raid focused MMORPG.
    what it turned out to be was a open-world casual focused MMORPG with heavy korean roots in it's design as most of the actual content was just grinding to be able to do the raids, which is exactly what WoW has become.
    lie, bullshit, and pretend all you want, facts are facts and you can't bullshit people forever.
    Did you... did you just imply that WildStar's failure was due to it being too casual-focused? Are we speaking the same language here? Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Uh, that's a pretty bold statement to make without any substantiating proof. I'd argue it's the power of gear that's the root of all evil in game design and if you think that Blizzard would somehow be able to balance three entirely self-contained versions of gear without any negative overlap I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that you may be interested in.

The power of the gear is what causes the gear envy in the first place, so we basically agree there (because really, who has gear envy over gear that’s considered crappy?).

Balancing the gear sets would be no worse than anything they have ever done because the sets basically would not function when out of their element. In a way, it would be easier to balance, because they would not have to worry about gear gained in one activity (like questing) affecting another (like raiding).

It could flow like this:

All 3 sets have identical stats for a starting point (Blue/Green quality).

All 3 have bonuses (stats, damage or healing percentages, or unique powers) that only function in their element.

So a Mythic raider in Mythic Raid gear hits the open world and he is effectively in Blue/Green quality items... just as a maxed out World Quester stepping into a raid would be. This would actually allow world content to be much harder in spots than it is... because you could create an actual progression path of power in the open world (elites, mini bosses and full on bosses). And the bosses could easily be designed to be impossible to bring down without the powerful world gear, so it would limit shortcuts.

All sets could be gained by more “traditional” means. PvE gear from drops... World gear from quests and rep grinds... and PvP gear from vendor purchases (which people seem to prefer).
    Last edited by Wingspan; Today at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    The power of the gear is what causes the gear envy in the first place, so we basically agree there (because really, who has gear envy over gear that’s considered crappy?).

Balancing the gear sets would be no worse than anything they have ever done because the sets basically would not function when out of their element. It could flow like this:

All 3 sets have identical stats for a starting point (the base... Blue/Green quality).

All 3 have bonuses (stats, damage or healing percentages, or unique powers) that only function in their element.

So a Mythic raider in Mythic Raid gear hits the open world and he is effectively in Blue/Green quality items... just as a maxed out World Quester stepping into a raid would be. This would actually allow world content to be much harder in spots than it is... because you could create an actual progression path of power in the open world (elites, mini bosses and full on bosses). And the bosses could easily be designed to be impossible to bring down without the powerful world gear, so it would limit shortcuts.

All sets could be gained by more “traditional” means. PvE gear from drops... World gear from quests and rep grinds... and PvP gear from vendor purchases (which people seem to prefer).
    You've never been able to get a full set of gear from world content in the past, why would they start now? And if the world content is easier and provides the same gear, wouldn't it directly compete with Mythic? Effectively now you have players at odds with one another over the type of content they prefer... I can only see something like that further fracturing the playbase. I'm fine with PvP being it's own thing but if they bring back the TBC model where it was possible to grind gear better than what drops in raids then I can see that also fragmenting the playerbase. What's so wrong with the current system that adding something like would somehow improve the situation?

All this to say that what you're suggesting is a bad solution to a problem that doesn't exist.