Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Happens when useless parents let their kids dictate them... instead of actually parenting them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yall didn't grow up on the 'You eat what I cook or starve' diet?
    Both my brother and myself would have chosen starve. You’d be surprised.

My brother would literally hide food he wouldn’t eat around the house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This type of behavior can be a legitimate eating disorder. It's called Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder and it's usually found with other mental health disorders (ADHD, autism, phobias). These are the type of people you hear about in the news, eating one food for their entire lives, even when there's adverse consequences associated with their eating habits.

Unfortunately people aren't as aware of this disorder as they are of anorexia and bulimia but it should be viewed with the same amount of seriousness. Eating disorders are hard to treat, it's not just picky eating and placing blame at the feet of the parents isn't always appropriate. That's not to say that parents are blameless, but when we're in eating disorder territory there's other stuff going on.
    Oh, I know of such disorder but still, years to seek professional help, counceling and more. And yes, sadly many are sadly not aware of it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Surprised this hasn't happened to Asmongold xD

That's some great parenting right there lol, could be a disorder but that no excuse not to seek help or force the kid to eat less or more healthy.

Oh well at least he can continue eating junk with no sight.

Also this must be the first time I hear someone getting blind because of eating to much junk food.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-09-04 at 05:53 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Considering that ARFID occurs 80% comorbid to neurodivergence, blaming the parents is not really logical.
    Should have children if they don't know how to care for them.
    And after years of this they should have noticed his eating patterns

I ate a lot of junk food growing up, but I was also shown how to cook and have always loved more foods than just sweet and junkie. I find it really hard to believe that his situation could have ended up that severely in such a short time, but then again, my parents used to cook for me growing up and I was taught how to cook meals that I enjoyed that had more types of food than meat and bread, so maybe his situation was far worse off than mine. Because if I were blinded by poor diet I don't think I'd be here right now, so it just makes me think that there's missing information, like how often he ate it.
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2019-09-05 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Also this must be the first time I hear someone getting blind because of eating to much junk food.
    That article is bs. You need some other conditions to cause something so severe. Not eating vegetables or the perfect diet for a few years doesn't cause blindness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I don't know any kids who only eat potatoes and processed meat.
    So your saying all kids/teens eat perfectly balanced diets with vegetables and fruits ?

Exactly, so many people don't understand basic nutrition, it's scary.
    Which would suggest that there is a systemic problem, not one of individual moral failure as many, especially in right wing tabloids, would like you to think.

There is obviously a hell of a lot more to this story than is in the public sphere. Best not let that get in the way of the perpetual outrage machine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    That article is bs. You need some other conditions to cause something so severe. Not eating vegetables or the perfect diet for a few years doesn't cause blindness.
    You know better than researchers from the University of Bristol who published this study in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine? No.

So your saying all kids/teens eat perfectly balanced diets with vegetables and fruits ?
    There is a huge difference between not eating perfect and not eating vegetables and fruits AT ALL.
    Last edited by Amerissis; 2019-09-05 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Amerissis;51570818]
    That article is bs. You need some other conditions to cause something so severe. Not eating vegetables or the perfect diet for a few years doesn't cause blindness.[/quote
    You know better than researchers from the University of Bristol who published this study in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine? No.

There is a huge difference between not eating perfect and not eating vegetables and fruits AT ALL.
    I want to read that research.
    Theres people on only meat diets that keep it for years and are perfectly healthy not including other variations of meat / carbs etc.
    Ofcourse junk and imbalanced diets are bad for you but throwing "you go blind if you eat meat or carbs" stories is not ok.

So basically based on the livescience article they couldn't find the cause or investigate more all the deficiencies so they put that diagnosis which in all other research reports only occurs in people with many years of malnutrition coupled with heavy alcohol/tobacco use.

The teen was also referred to mental health services for an eating disorder. The researchers note that the teen's diet was more than just "picky eating" because it was very restrictive and caused multiple nutritional deficiencies.

A relatively new diagnosis known as "avoidant-restrictive food intake disorder" (previously known as "selective eating disorder") involves a lack of interest in food or avoidance of foods with certain textures, colors, etc., without concern to body weight or shape.
    He was basically eating only the same type of ham (processed meat the worst type of meat you could eat and least nutritious) for years .
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2019-09-05 at 10:55 AM.

I want to read that research.
    Theres people on only meat diets that keep it for years and are perfectly healthy not including other variations of meat / carbs etc.
    Ofcourse junk and imbalanced diets are bad for you but throwing "you go blind if you eat meat or carbs" stories is not ok.
    So read it?

Also, it's not 'you go blind if you eat meat or carbs'. He ate very little meat and had severe B12 deficiency (major cause of his blindness) because of it. He should have eaten more meat, and also vegetables and fruit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    So read it?

Also, it's not 'you go blind if you eat meat or carbs'. He ate very little meat and had severe B12 deficiency (major cause of his blindness) because of it. He should have eaten more meat, and also vegetables and fruit.
    More the lack of all the B complex which is lacking in meat. If it was indeed just the diet at fault he must have been on fries and ham since younger than 10.
    With all those vital nutrients lacking right in his most important development years I could see how it could cause such severe neurological problems.

- - - Updated - - -

They should, but the very least the parents should let them eat different from themselves. I hardly ever kept junkfood in the house, and my kid ate when I cooked which was a healthy meal. If it had been up to him he would have lived on chicken strips and fries, but as a responsible parent I didn't let him eat like that except when we went out and even then not always.

They should, but the very least the parents should let them eat different from themselves. I hardly ever kept junkfood in the house, and my kid ate when I cooked which was a healthy meal. If it had been up to him he would have lived on chicken strips and fries, but as a responsible parent I didn't let him eat like that except when we went out and even then not always.
    Once again, this person had an eating disorder, it's not like they could have just force-fed him the food, he literally could not bring himself to eat anything else because of the texture of the food. He was mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Once again, this person had an eating disorder, it's not like they could have just force-fed him the food, he literally could not bring himself to eat anything else because of the texture of the food. He was mentally ill.
    It started when he was a child, the parents chose to feed him a shit diet.

It started when he was a child, the parents chose to feed him a shit diet.
    Even people with a shit diet are open to taking a multivitamin now and then. This sounds like mental illness to me.

As a teen I never took vitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    As a teen I never took vitamins.
    Was your diet SO shit that you had severe nutritional deficiencies? Probably not.

Also, while there's not enough detail in the OP to make this distinction, it's likely that the problem wasn't JUST that he was eating fast food, but probably a very limited type of fast foods. Like that one girl who only ate chicken nuggets, etc.

A non-varied fast food diet is infinitely worse than even your usual shitty fast food diet.

This will undoubtedly be taken differently by most people because of the obviously clickbait and misleading title. Junk food didn't cause him to go blind; a vitamin deficiency did. Selective eating of this severity is bad, even for healthy foods. Taking a multivitamin or vitamin shots would have prevented the blindness, and his diet would have remained the same without issue.