Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23,154

    Angry Teen's junk food diet caused him to go blind

    Source

    A teenager reportedly went deaf and blind due to his junk food diet, according to a study released on Monday.

    The case involves a teen, believed to be the UK’s first such case, who slowly lost his eyesight and hearing after years of eating nothing but fries, chips and other kinds of junk food.

    In a study published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, researchers from the University of Bristol warn that such poor diets can not only lead to obesity, heart disease, and cancer but "also permanently damage the nervous system, particularly vision.”

    The then 14-year-old boy, described as a “fussy eater,”
    complained of experiencing tiredness to his family doctor. Blood tests showed he had anemia and low levels of vitamin B12, the report said. He was treated with injections of vitamin B12 and was provided guidance on ways to improve his diet.

    By the age of 15, however, his hearing and vision became impaired. Though test results from an MRI and eye exam turned up normal, the boy’s vision worsened, according to Live Science. At 17, he was declared legally blind.

    Additional tests revealed the teen had developed damage to his optic nerve, the study reports, with low levels of copper and vitamin D. When doctors inquired about the teen’s eating habits, he revealed that his diet since elementary school consisted of fries, chips, white bread, and processed meat.

    The teen was eventually diagnosed with nutritional optic neuropathy, a result of nutritional deficiencies.

    Vision loss from nutritional optic neuropathy is potentially reversible if caught early, however, the teen’s condition was reportedly so grave that his vision loss became permanent. Instead, he was prescribed supplements to prevent his vision loss from getting worse.

    Dr. Denize Ata, the study’s co-author, said there is a lack of awareness among healthcare professionals and the public about the links between a poor diet and sight loss.

    The study’s subject is highlighted by researchers as a cautionary tale to all.

    The boy’s mother told the Telegraph that the teen’s condition has “devastated his life” and that he’s since dropped out of college. She also left her job In order to care for him.

    What’s more, she also revealed that aside from vitamin supplements the teen’s junk food diet is “pretty much the same.”

    "When he was having counseling we managed to start him on fruit smoothies,” she said, “But he's gone off those now.”
    Fucking parent fail right here, I see so many parents asking kids what they want to eat instead of feeding them what they need. My kid was a fussy eater too, well tough shit son you're eating what I cook. If my son had it his way he would eat nothing but chicken strips and fries, but as a parent I made him try all sorts of other foods and made healthy dinners for him.

  2. #2
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Fucking parent fail right here, I see so many parents asking kids what they want to eat instead of feeding them what they need. My kid was a fussy eater too, well tough shit son you're eating what I cook. If my son had it his way he would eat nothing but chicken strips and fries, but as a parent I made him try all sorts of other foods and made healthy dinners for him.
    So the issue is lack of vitamins. Easy fix would be vitamin tables on problem children and telling them its a candy.

  3. #3
    I am Murloc! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seaside, FL
    Posts
    5,398
    This is posted here why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Leftism View Post
    He destroyed nothing. His posts are nothing but lies, strawman and degeneracy.

  4. #4
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,131
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Fucking parent fail right here, I see so many parents asking kids what they want to eat instead of feeding them what they need. My kid was a fussy eater too, well tough shit son you're eating what I cook. If my son had it his way he would eat nothing but chicken strips and fries, but as a parent I made him try all sorts of other foods and made healthy dinners for him.
    There's a litany of mental health issues here that weren't addressed. They tried to get him to take vitamins and vary his diet, but he wouldn't do it. It's like anorexia or bulimia. You can say all you want about "my kid will eat what I cook", because under these conditions, no, they won't.

  5. #5
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There's a litany of mental health issues here that weren't addressed. They tried to get him to take vitamins and vary his diet, but he wouldn't do it. It's like anorexia or bulimia. You can say all you want about "my kid will eat what I cook", because under these conditions, no, they won't.
    Yeah it should have been corrected when he was 3

  6. #6
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,272
    Why is this political? Why are you posting life fluff pieces by Fox News? Not very centrist... and that fucking line confused me. “Fries and chips” they’re the same thing then I was like wait must be American source and then it was fox...

  7. #7
    This has to do with politics? How?

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  8. #8
    This is 100% on the parents.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Why is this political? Why are you posting life fluff pieces by Fox News? Not very centrist... and that fucking line confused me. “Fries and chips” they’re the same thing then I was like wait must be American source and then it was fox...
    Damn libs and and their **shuffle cards** Donald Trump diets!

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,945
    Are you sure this isnt because he fapped too much?

  11. #11
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Are you sure this isnt because he fapped too much?
    I've tested this urban legend exhaustively, and I can say without a doubt that it's false. But I will continue to test it, just to be sure.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  12. #12
    Legendary! Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    6,699
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Fucking parent fail right here.
    That's not a parent fail. He was in college and was given all sorts of warning signs that his body was telling him along along with counseling.

    It doesnt happen overnight. Sounds more like a psycho person if you're going to ignore your body going slowly blind.

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That's not a parent fail. He was in college and was given all sorts of warning signs that his body was telling him along along with counseling.

    It doesnt happen overnight. Sounds more like a psycho person if you're going to ignore your body going slowly blind.
    He got to those eating habits because his parents failed.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seaside, FL
    Posts
    5,398
    Zenkai picks some weird fucking death hills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Leftism View Post
    He destroyed nothing. His posts are nothing but lies, strawman and degeneracy.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Zenkai picks some weird fucking death hills.
    Maybe his parents also failed?

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, OH (Hometown: Philadelphia, PA)
    Posts
    3,194
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.
    “Populists (and 'national socialists') look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world 'behind the scenes'. Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.”
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Fucking parent fail right here, I see so many parents asking kids what they want to eat instead of feeding them what they need. My kid was a fussy eater too, well tough shit son you're eating what I cook. If my son had it his way he would eat nothing but chicken strips and fries, but as a parent I made him try all sorts of other foods and made healthy dinners for him.
    How is it his parents fault. Was she supposed to strap him down and force feed him?

    She took him to doctors and a councilor, it's his decision to continue his bad eating habits.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-09-03 at 07:33 PM.

  18. #18
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    How is it his parents fault. Was she supposed to strap him down and force feed him?

    She took him to doctors and a councilor, it's his decision to continue his bad eating habits.
    Because those eating habits started at a young age, even in his teens they could control what was in the house. Do you honestly thing you grow up eating good then in your teens say "fuck this" and eat nothing but chips?

  19. #19
    Legendary! Zelk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    6,681
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    He got to those eating habits because his parents failed.
    he has a a rare eating disorder that the parents weren't equipped to deal with, it is absolutely not their failure.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because those eating habits started at a young age, even in his teens they could control what was in the house. Do you honestly thing you grow up eating good then in your teens say "fuck this" and eat nothing but chips?
    Everyone is responsible for their own decisions, he may have started being taught bad habits but eventually he should have taken responsibility for his own continued decisions.

    If a child is brought up in a life of crime for example. That doesn't absolve him for responsibility when he becomes an adult and can make his own decisions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •