Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    While I disagree with layering completely as it's not the true vanilla experience, I must said we've abused the crap out of it to farm delivsaur and it's been a major advantage.

    Over the last 2 days we've picked up over 500 devilsaur skins.
    Pretty much set for a VERY long time on gold.
    The entire Classic relaunch hasn't been a true "Vanilla Experience". Where's the constant Disconnects? The constant dropping through the world? The constant infinite loading screens?

  2. #102
    I'm leveling in the barrens and see TONS of people. Maybe most people didnt take off work to rush to level in a game that wont be changing?

  3. #103
    I can't believe why people always find problems and don't enjoy what we have now. We want classic servers we have them. What do you need? Nothing is perfect.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    How is layering hurting the community? You are always in the same layer. You meet the same people when leveling.
    Some people are using it to exploit rares and other things (gathering), Blizz obviously thought it was a problem too because they announced action on it today. They are adding delays and they said they have other things they can deploy if that doesn't work. They wouldn't take action if it wasn't an issue.

  5. #105
    The Lightbringer Daish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    You clearly have no god damn clue what you are talking about.
    answer this question

    what is it called when you move from 1 layer to another layer

    ANSWER THE QUESTION

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    not even 20% of the player base has reached level 30
    So - the proposed solution would have little to no effect then.

    All sorted

    Boycotting Blizzard is like a lactose intolerant person boycotting milk purchases to protest about cruelty to cows, then eating his hamburger whilst doing so.
    If you want to protest against China - then do something meaningful and protest against China

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    answer this question

    what is it called when you move from 1 layer to another layer

    ANSWER THE QUESTION
    Nothing, because you're still on the same server.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    answer this question

    what is it called when you move from 1 layer to another layer

    ANSWER THE QUESTION
    Calm down maybe?

    It's called moving from layer to another. Nothing changes. You are still on the same server.
    Why is it so important that every person in every layer sees your spam in the general chat? Isn't the population of one layer enough?
    You also seem to auto-whisper people directly.

    So what the fuck is your problem?
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-09-05 at 11:51 PM.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    answer this question

    what is it called when you move from 1 layer to another layer

    ANSWER THE QUESTION
    Layer hopping.

    Once again, phases are different than Layers, just because phasing is one way to describe moving between layers doesn't mean they're the same. Blizzard already has something called Phasing, and it's very different than layers.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2019-09-05 at 11:57 PM.

  10. #110
    Blizzard seem really dishonest in the way they are choosing to address layering, and the XP exploit. In both cases, they have said the issue isnt that bad, and is being exaggerated...........and that it is an unintended bug, and they want to stop people exploiting it, so they have made changes. However, they have not taken any action against the accounts that are abusing these exploits?

    Im no conspiracy theory nut job, but i do think blizzard are greatly misleading the community with these situations.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Layer hopping.

    Once again, phases are different than Layers, just because phasing is one way to describe moving between layers doesn't mean they're the same. Blizzard already has something called Phasing, and it's very different than layers.
    Phasing was used extensively from wrath onwards, and for players from that era most of us remember phasing as having multiple versions of the same area exist on top of each other, allowing quests to dramatically change the landscape. This caused problems with people being in different "phases" due to being at different quest progression levels.

    There seems to be some confusion, as im no server expert, but i would expect both layering and phasing to use very similar tech, if not exactly the same, but being used for a different purpose.

    TL;DR i consider layering to be multiple DUPLICATE instances of an area, while Phasing would be multiple DIFFERENT iterations of the same area. However, if i was swapped from one layer to another, i would say i had been Phased - that is the language i know, and have used in the previous versions of the game.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2019-09-06 at 12:10 AM.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    TL;DR i consider layering to be multiple DUPLICATE instances of an area
    A layer is a new instance of the entire realm.
    A shard is technology that dynamically balances population of a zone to different versions or phases of the zone.

    Sharding is used in retail. Layers are used in classic.
    The only way to change layer is to join a group, which pulls everyone in the group to the zone layer.
    Sharding makes things disappear and "phase out" in front of you (like mining nodes and herbs). This doesn't happen with layers.
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-09-06 at 12:29 AM.

  12. #112
    The Lightbringer Daish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Layer hopping.

    Once again, phases are different than Layers, just because phasing is one way to describe moving between layers doesn't mean they're the same. Blizzard already has something called Phasing, and it's very different than layers.
    lol layer hopping i have never ever seen anyone say the phrase layer hopping in world of warcraft

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Layer hopping.

    Once again, phases are different than Layers, just because phasing is one way to describe moving between layers doesn't mean they're the same. Blizzard already has something called Phasing, and it's very different than layers.
    its called phasing buddy

    the word phase apply just as much as the word layer shard/phase/layer are all pretty much interchangeable

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    lol layer hopping i have never ever seen anyone say the phrase layer hopping in world of warcraft

    - - - Updated - - -



    its called phasing buddy
    That's because layers are only in Classic, you bongo

  14. #114
    The Lightbringer Daish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    I like how you pull numbers out of your ass and then complain hes apparently pulling numbers out of his ass, even tho he clearly just used those as an example.
    i have all the numbers i am constantly running a census on a 2nd account i also know the commands to only list the players that exist in your current "layer"

    did you even read my posts?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That's because layers are only in Classic, you bongo
    BFA has layers that are zone defined
    Classic has layers that encompass the whole world up to 10 for high population servers

    BFA has cross realm layers
    Classic has single server layers

    just because its a bigger type of phase doesn't mean it stops being a phase

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    its called phasing buddy
    That's completely different thing in WoW.
    Phasing is making the same zone have different appearances based on the individual players progression through the zone. Thats's phasing.
    Shards are technology used in retail - where each zone dynamically balances population to different versions and phases of itself. Retail uses the term "shard hopping".
    Layers are new things, native to Classic. A layer is a new instance of the entire realm. The only way to change layer is to group up. There's really no coined term for this yet, but I'd guess "layer hopping" would be appropriate.

    It is certainly not phasing. That's something different.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    BFA has layers that are zone defined
    Shards

    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    Classic has layers
    Correct

    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    just because its a bigger type of phase doesn't mean it stops being a phase
    Phasing is something else.

  16. #116
    The Lightbringer SinR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My Own Personal Hell
    Posts
    3,251
    It'll be fine in Phase 2 when layering is removed.

    right guys??

    R I G H T ? ? ?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

    Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I had BfA Alpha. Then I had BfA Beta. Now I has BfA. Meh
    No Classic Beta. Even if I got it I probably wouldn't play.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    A layer is a new instance of the entire realm.
    A shard is technology that dynamically balances population of a zone to different versions or phases of the zone.

    Sharding is used in retail. Layers are used in classic.
    The only way to change layer is to join a group, which pulls everyone in the group to the zone layer.
    Sharding makes things disappear and "phase out" in front of you (like mining nodes and herbs). This doesn't happen with layers.
    So just to be clear, when Blizzard said layering would only be on for low level zones (a decision they later changed their stance on), they were wrong? Are you suggesting they dont understand their own technology?

    You are also wrong about the ONLY way to change a layer being joining a group - you are assigned a layer at the beginning of each gameplay session, and that may or may not be the same layer as your last session.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
    What is the big exploit with layering?
    The big exploit is another player can do something about another player being a douche. To me it's not any different from the PVP server argument. People have inadequacy issues in real life and want to act out a power fantasy at the expense of other people.

  19. #119
    The Lightbringer Daish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    It'll be fine in Phase 2 when layering is removed.

    right guys??

    R I G H T ? ? ?

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So just to be clear, when Blizzard said layering would only be on for low level zones (a decision they later changed their stance on), they were wrong? Are you suggesting they dont understand their own technology?
    They never said that. They said they would enable layering in phase 1 to allow people through the starting zones without congestion.
    Read the whole thing: https://www.wowhead.com/news=294589/...in-classic-wow

    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You are also wrong about the ONLY way to change a layer being joining a group - you are assigned a layer at the beginning of each gameplay session, and that may or may not be the same layer as your last session.
    Ok, so what sort of stuff does your character need to do after you've logged off and exited the game? How is that relevant to your gameplay experience?
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-09-06 at 12:55 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •