Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Haven’t played in years, how do I get into mythic groups?

Hi! I stopped playing 5 years ago and just recently came back, got a DH to max level, and he’s currently sitting at 407 Ilvl. War campaign is complete, my artifact is almost level 64, and I’ve cleared LFR’s current raid twice. I’m a tank, groups don’t want me even for mythic 0’s and it’s very discouraging. Besides getting more gear or going in with a guild, what should I do to make my chances better with PUG groups?

Thanks everyone

US Proudmoore realm btw

Start small. Clear normal. Then clear heroic. Then clear mythic. Dont expect others to do all the work for you.

Don't listen to mr 'start small and maybe you'll get there in next century'.

You are a tank, holy grail of pugs and you gotta use it. If you aren't invited to groups, you make your own. Parties with tank already in are simply getting swarmed with all them people wanting to skip waiting for a tank to show up.

At your gear, I would keep farming +5 bracket for a while to catch 415+ into most of the slots. +5 is super easy, you will have no prob tanking it with your gear. If you are afraid you fail, you can read guides or whatever, but really you should be fine with basic knowledge of dungeons. Pro tip: when you time +5 but you aren't geared enough to go higher, you can lower your key by entering into dung alone, starting the m+ and reseting instance. Your key will go -1.

You want to remember one thing above everything else - route you take (people will direct you if its first time) and mobs you skip. You will need this later.

Once your gear starts to shape up, you go for higher keys. Keep making the groups and be selfish. Take high ilvls to carry you so that you get your gear and so you can carry lows later. Its a cycle of life.

Finally you may be surprised at what ilvl is actually required of tank to time +10. I have had DH tanks successfully completing +10 at 410 ilvl. You want to have good healer and strong dps, tank just needs to keep the aggro and make use of their defensives. That being said, you want to read up guides on beguiling before attempting +10, first time round it is quite a step up from +9. After a while though you will notice its actually pretty easy affix.

One final thing to note is that it is very easy week for low to mid key tiers, so get in there before we are hit with garbage affixes next week.

Skittish bolstering is really easy week if tank Can hold Agro + dps Got a brain. But Can imagine it being Very painfiul in the low end bracket

As someone said, go make your own. Should be no problem as a tank.
    They don't see your iLvL when they apply for your group, while any group you apply to does. And 407 is quite low this late into the tier. No offense.

Start your own groups. You are a tank, its no harder than ordering from a menu to form a group as a tank.
    Make use of the custom group finder. Download raider.io to give you another tool to vet the players you choose between when forming your groups.
    Start with the +0 dungeons then work yourself up, ask for advice in groupchat be4 you start the dungeon. Ppl either fucking love giving advice or they wont and leave and you can just find another retard. Since your the leader theres fuckall they can do against you anyway.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Make your own M0 group. Get a key. Make your own group to do that key. Do a bunch of 2-5 keys, will boost your ilvl a tad. Move towards doing a +10 so you can get your weekly 440 item.
    Keep doing Nazjatar dailies that reward the pearls. Get benthic gear. Upgrade it, can be upgraded to 425/430 for azerite.
    Try to find "learning" normal/heroic groups for the raid. Partial guild runs. They are usually the most patient as they are still learning the fights, though these are harder to find later in the tier.
    Make a DPS os. Tanks are in high demand for 5 mans, but at the same time their spots are extremely limited for raids.

It is pretty difficult to catch up in the middle of a patch if you are on your own and don't have a guild/friend infrastructure to help get you through content, but it is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Notdev View Post
    Make your own M0 group. Get a key. Make your own group to do that key. Do a bunch of 2-5 keys, will boost your ilvl a tad. Move towards doing a +10 so you can get your weekly 440 item.
    Keep doing Nazjatar dailies that reward the pearls. Get benthic gear. Upgrade it, can be upgraded to 425/430 for azerite.
    Try to find "learning" normal/heroic groups for the raid. Partial guild runs. They are usually the most patient as they are still learning the fights, though these are harder to find later in the tier.
    Make a DPS os. Tanks are in high demand for 5 mans, but at the same time their spots are extremely limited for raids.

It is pretty difficult to catch up in the middle of a patch if you are on your own and don't have a guild/friend infrastructure to help get you through content, but it is still possible.
    This but also being an unpopular class is not that important either. I am playing a WW currently and i do well maybe not perfect but the game is not in a state of if your not first your dead last either.

As said, if you're looking for instant, make your own group.

People are far less likely to take you over another tank, but if its your group as a tank, you'll find yourself swarming in people at similar ilvls struggling the same way you are.

See how many of them are up for sticking around to farm random M+'s. Proudmoore is a pretty big server too, so maybe find a guild and try to sell yourself a bit to them.

As someone who's been through a few guilds now this expansion, every guild seems to have only like 2-3 tanks who like running M+, yet countless DPS who want to get in on that. So I'm sure if you make it clear that you're looking to gear up and experience further challenges, you'll get the DPS who want to have a tank friend.

Granted I'm sure there's a few guilds out there tripping tanks, it's still rarity though.

i see two possibilities:

- make your own group
    - wait for someone to accept you
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Start you own group man - download whatever usefull addon that is outthere for mythic+ and farm away... 0+ is just as easy as heroic..

10+ Year Old Account
    You come back to a game that is in a worse state than it ever been in. And I'm not talking about the actual game content, but rather the people who play it.

Every group there is has these insane demands and require more gear than what drops as well as achievements, raider.io scores, logs etc etc. And previous expansions feats, doesn't matter. You can litterally have realm first kills of every single raid pre-BFA (I don't, just an example) and still not get invited to the current raid. It's a total madness atm. It has completely ruined the community and any fun there is.

Sadly, unless you spent like 5-10 hours playing since release, the only way to ever do any content in BFA is to buy boost from any of those spammers, but it's expensive... or to lead your own groups.

Being forced to lead yourself is also madness, but hey that's WoW 2019...

Before you invest too much time, play Classic instead. There everyone is welcome and the cancer of retail hasn't spread there yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Start small. Clear normal. Then clear heroic. Then clear mythic. Dont expect others to do all the work for you.
    Did you not read his post? He's 407 ilevel, and that's more than enough to tank M0's - hell, I've tanked Operation Mechagon (cleanly) at 404.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    You come back to a game that is in a worse state than it ever been in. And I'm not talking about the actual game content, but rather the people who play it.

Every group there is
    If it's always shit maybe think about who the common nominator of your groups is....

Every group there is has these insane demands and require more gear than what drops as well as achievements, raider.io scores, logs etc etc. And previous expansions feats, doesn't matter. You can litterally have realm first kills of every single raid pre-BFA (I don't, just an example) and still not get invited to the current raid. It's a total madness atm. It has completely ruined the community and any fun there is.

Sadly, unless you spent like 5-10 hours playing since release, the only way to ever do any content in BFA is to buy boost from any of those spammers, but it's expensive... or to lead your own groups.

Being forced to lead yourself is also madness, but hey that's WoW 2019...

Before you invest too much time, play Classic instead. There everyone is welcome and the cancer of retail hasn't spread there yet.
    i havent seen a change in requirements since TBC

a guy that wants to raid mythic is getting instead the advise to play classic, dude what are you smoking
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

easiest way is to play arena at 1.0-1.4 mmr until you are decked out in 430 and then just go into a +10

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    i havent seen a change in requirements since TBC

a guy that wants to raid mythic is getting instead the advise to play classic, dude what are you smoking
    He also says the cancer of retail isnt there. Classic is more cancerous than retail

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Did you not read his post? He's 407 ilevel, and that's more than enough to tank M0's - hell, I've tanked Operation Mechagon (cleanly) at 404.
    I think he didn't read the actual post, just the title. So he was probably thinking Mythic as in Mythic raid.

Get a m+1 group or something like this.
    +0 might be full of overequipped people that just wanna do a quest while +1 is desperate.

Now you have your own key and you are a tank. Just open your own groups and see the people beg for a place.

You can litterally have realm first kills of every single raid pre-BFA (I don't, just an example) and still not get invited to the current raid. It's a total madness atm.
    Cause this is new? I don't understand people like you. Do you not recall people asking you to come on Org bank roof to check your gear or achi in Wrath? that was a DECADE ago. Gearscore, achis, nobody EVER gave a crap about what you had done in previous expansions or tiers.