Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

After playing the game, do you agree with Blizzard's expected "steep drop-off"?

Im a Classic fanboy and this game is for me the one and only game i will be playing for months to come.
    And even though i used to get mad everytime i read Blizzard's "we expect a steep drop-off in interest"...after playing the game, i have to say i agree with them.

I dont think i need to repeat myself but this game is for me the best thing in videogame history, yet i think its only for incredibly patient people.
    And do you think the majority of the current market is "incredibly patient"? In the age of "zoomers"? I dont think so...imo.

This is all a personal opinion after playing the game AND thinking to myself...there is no way the rest of the world enjoys the same things i do.
    Even though im enjoying it like crazy, i dont believe todays market enjoys the things a 30y old me enjoys.

And im "ok" with this.
    I dont need Classic to be a success to prove anything to others. I just want it to exist so i can play it with other people who also enjoy it.

What is your opinion after playing the game and CONSIDER in your opinion the current market of videogames?

It will take a deep dive in a month or so, due to lack of endgame outside raids

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt the game will hold down customers for any considerable length of time.

Paying 15 dollars a month for questing that's years outdated and dungeons and raids that have a definite end? And for what? The pleasure of grinding all the while?

That's not what's popular today, nor do I see any indication that it's going to go back to it. And I'm sure some people will get to the point where it just becomes their "turn off their brain" activity and play the game for some time to come, like with Diablo 2. But that's going to be a very small number of people.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think there will be a very steep drop-off although it may look more like a landslide than a cliff. People will take a while to get to end game (perhaps) and then make their own decisions about whether or not to continue. Some will, many won't. Some will stop at the next BfA patch and not come back until we hit whatever content drought we get at the end of the expansion.

Wasn't it you that was angry that people were saying this just a few days ago? It seems inevitable to me that this would happen. It's the nature of anything that gets a lot of hype. It's more physics than faith.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I highly doubt the game will hold down customers for any considerable length of time.

Paying 15 dollars a month for questing that's years outdated and dungeons and raids that have a definite end? And for what? The pleasure of grinding all the while?

That's not what's popular today, nor do I see any indication that it's going to go back to it. And I'm sure some people will get to the point where it just becomes their "turn off their brain" activity and play the game for some time to come, like with Diablo 2. But that's going to be a very small number of people.
    If we went by what's "popular today" there would be people playing BFA lol

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    ya there seems to have already been one every tie i log on i see less and less people, alot faster then i expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    There are...

Im already done, a lot of my friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    ya there seems to have already been one every tie i log on i see less and less people, alot faster then i expected.
    Maybe it's because people are no longer lumped together in starting zones..?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
    There are...
    Yeah! At least a dozen.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Maybe it's because people are no longer lumped together in starting zones..?
    possible but the other zones I've gone to haven't had to many people either. though it could just be the horde/alliance balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are actually right, the every moment of playing Clasic is a suffering and the only reason I am playin it is that I didn't buy BfA in time, while I was to lazy to unsubscribe, so I'm actually only subscribed to Classic and now it's too late to buy BfA, so I'll just wait for BfA being merged into WoW Retail as all previous expansions couple of months before the release of next one. I will have to endure Classic until the next expansion arrives.

If only you knew how many times I've imagined how consistent and actually fun my leveling could have been in Retail and how it would be a valid story enveloping in the zone i'm in, not a sequence of unrelated quests text of which you would forget while struggling to complete them few levels (i.e. days) after you accepted these into your quest log
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2019-09-08 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

couldnt have put it better myself.
    Whenever I have problems or anxiety, I do whatever in wow and am absorbed in the moment doing the repetitive task and not thinking about anything
    An Karanir Thanagor,
    Mor Ok Angalor..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    What is your opinion after playing the game and CONSIDER in your opinion the current market of videogames?
    It's hard to know for sure. I hope they reveal numbers for Classic. Such as:

How many unique accounts played during the first week versus week 2, 3, 4, etc? How many re-subscribers or net new subscribers played week 1?

There are definitely a good portion of the player base that only logged in for the first week or two just to check it out, with no intentions of playing regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    And people are complaining about the grind in WoW today.

Azerite grind, Benthic gear grind, etc.

Nobody is complaining about the dungeons or raids or normal questing. It's complaints about dailies, complaints about reps, complaints about gear grinds, etc.

WoW classic had all of those, except in a much less varied fashion.

That something takes longer to do and is more time-consuming all the while does not make it more compelling in the long-term.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Wasn't it you that was angry that people were saying this just a few days ago? It seems inevitable to me that this would happen. It's the nature of anything that gets a lot of hype. It's more physics than faith.
    Yes, i pointed it out in the OP, but actually playing the game changed my mind.

I dont believe a common person will figure out the game's merits and also wont put up with the game's demands.
    Its like that one teenager phase we all had when we "hated" or were embarrassed by our parents.
    They know best, but we didnt realize at the time.

One may find the game even "disrespectful" at times but thats what makes the game great for the rest of us
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-09-08 at 01:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current market for videogames?

Demographics are now spread out from ages 12 or so all the way up to people in their 70's and beyond. I don't think there's really "one" market for videogames. It's as diverse as ever now with many, many choices as to game genre and platform. Just like a lot of music and books these days games are slotting into micro-genres. Some prefer PC gaming, others consoles, others want to have something they can carry with them on a tablet or phone. Some: all of those things and more.

Because this site is what it is there will always be a strong preference for certain things and people will argue to their very last breath that their preference is the only one and everyone else is wrong but that's pointless. Markets don't care about what we say. They go on regardless. In some ways this is a good time for videogames because there is so much choice. In other ways it's not: There's a lot of cheap imitative crap out there that's best to stay away from.

One thing is for certain: Most game design studios are well behind the curve due to their lack of agility and the need to spend years developing a title for a genre that can flash in and out of favor in a matter of months. That's worrisome.

</stepping off the milk crate for someone else>

EDIT: Lest you think I'm crazy on older people playing videogames let me assure you that I'm not. There's a Facebook group for WoW targeted at those 55+ and older that has close to 2000 members. One for 35 and older that's closing on 10,000 members. That's just for WoW. That's replicated across any number of games and retro-gaming categories. Boomers when retiring need something to fill up a few hours a day and video games are just the thing for many of them. They are an important market now and will be more important over time.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-09-08 at 01:26 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Of course there will be a steep drop off theres alot of hype around it, every game drops off after the hype dies down just check out any battle royal game.

It's not a bad thing there won't be a time where classic is fully dead in the next 3 years which is to be expected.

I don't understand the mentality of people arguing over numbers of any product to justify something is better than the other, it's like Sony Vs Xbox, iPhone vs android, who cares just play or buy what you like.

It's like saying Taylor Swift is better than Metallica because her numbers are better.

Wow is a bit different I think the reason why there's such a hate towards both classic and retail because classic was geared towards people who enjoy MMORPGS and retail is not.
    Last edited by mehow2g; 2019-09-08 at 01:30 AM.

What I see is people eager to group up but also to go their own ways right after a quest. To the most, including myself wow classic is a personal thing, or a thing with friends they already have. That shows a level of hesitation to commitment which in turn indicates a level of uncertainty about continuing the game.

Having said the above, I don't see myself quitting it anytime soon, but I do wish there will still be people around playing it after a while!

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Current market for videogames?

Demographics are now spread out from ages 12 or so all the way up to people in their 70's and beyond. I don't think there's really "one" market for videogames. It's as diverse as ever now with many, many choices as to game genre and platform. Just like a lot of music and books these days games are slotting into micro-genres. Some prefer PC gaming, others consoles, others want to have something they can carry with them on a tablet or phone. Some: all of those things and more.

Because this site is what it is there will always be a strong preference for certain things and people will argue to their very last breath that their preference is the only one and everyone else is wrong but that's pointless. Markets don't care about what we say. They go on regardless. In some ways this is a good time for videogames because there is so much choice. In other ways it's not: There's a lot of cheap imitative crap out there that's best to stay away from.

One thing is for certain: Most game design studios are well behind the curve due to their lack of agility and the need to spend years developing a title for a genre that can flash in and out of favor in a matter of months. That's worrisome.

</stepping off the milk crate for someone else>

EDIT: Lest you think I'm crazy on older people playing videogames let me assure you that I'm not. There's a Facebook group for WoW targeted at those 55+ and older that has close to 2000 members. One for 35 and older that's closing on 10,000 members. That's just for WoW. That's replicated across any number of games and retro-gaming categories. Boomers when retiring need something to fill up a few hours a day and video games are just the thing for many of them. They are an important market now and will be more important over time.
    Thanks for the info.
    I have absolutely no factual data on the current market of videogames (>_>) like...nothing at all
    Just a personal opinion.
    Would be glad if proven wrong!