Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    just waiting for the variety streamers to jump ship to the next big popular thing. they will take a big chunk of players with them.
    otherwise i expect people to drop off slowly but steadily.

there will be major surges when the new phases hit, but outside of that i expect a steady decline in playerbase, just like every other game.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    There we go, another one.

"PLAY AS I SAY, DONT HAVE FREE TIME AND DO WHAT I SAY CAUSE I CANT DO THE SAME".
    Where did I say you have to play a certain way? You have to accept though that there are a lot of people not rushing through the leveling content. I consider leveling as part of the Classic journey. If you rush through it then that is your choice. Don't complain to others about the decisions you make.
    This is what an actual Vanilla WoW character looked like after 69 days of playtime:
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...olf/resseshold

Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    Where did I say you have to play a certain way? You have to accept though that there are a lot of people not rushing through the leveling content. I consider leveling as part of the Classic journey. If you rush through it then that is your choice. Don't complain to others about the decisions you make.
    A lot of people do.

Everyone has different goals/mentality about things, many cant accept that, especially when it comes to Classic.

It's really hard to judge in game considering all of the free xfers available. The only thing I could measure would be friends and there weren't more than 10 of them playing to begin with - 6 still log in.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Can't happen soon enough really, get these damn tourists off my lawn.

Should never have baked it into the retail sub, that should have come later as a promo offer or something. Seperate subs, let the "diehard nerds" pay through the nose for an old game if they want to Just get rid of the "hype train" already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    A lot of people do.

Everyone has different goals/mentality about things, many cant accept that, especially when it comes to Classic.
    In my opinion it just shows how the mentality of many players works these days. They make decisions (some of them are bad) but are unwilling to accept the consequences related to these decisions.

If I (just as an example) would refuse to go into dungeons while leveling and because of that end up with XP shortages and terrible equipment which makes the leveling process take longer. Do I blame the game now for not offering better equipment outside of dungeons or myself for not using the opportunities that are available?

In the end if someone just goes AoE grinding while ignoring the quest content it is a valid option to level and most likely a very fast and profitable one as well. But it has downsides as well especially if you literally rush through everything by using that method and then you end up in a situation where you are bored. Honestly though that type of player would even be bored quickly with retail WoW as you can get through the content there just as quickly if not even quicker due to the amount of items that are thrown at you.

You can't design games purely around hardcore players. You'd have to spend either way to much resources the get the content required to feed them or you'd have to make it so difficult and hard that you'll most likely scare away a big chunk of your potential customer base.
    This is what an actual Vanilla WoW character looked like after 69 days of playtime:
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...olf/resseshold

Quote Originally Posted by Whistl3r View Post
    Looking at my own guild roster we have a growing list of people who haven't logged on for several days some as much as 12 days.
    That's also no indication that they've stopped playing, just that they've stopped playing *that character*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

My realm from queue of 7k on EU went to medium and trade chat is spammed by the same five ppl.Dead game.Soon.
    The Man in Black: “They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.”
    Jacob: “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    In my opinion it just shows how the mentality of many players works these days. They make decisions (some of them are bad) but are unwilling to accept the consequences related to these decisions.

If I (just as an example) would refuse to go into dungeons while leveling and because of that end up with XP shortages and terrible equipment which makes the leveling process take longer. Do I blame the game now for not offering better equipment outside of dungeons or myself for not using the opportunities that are available?

In the end if someone just goes AoE grinding while ignoring the quest content it is a valid option to level and most likely a very fast and profitable one as well. But it has downsides as well especially if you literally rush through everything by using that method and then you end up in a situation where you are bored. Honestly though that type of player would even be bored quickly with retail WoW as you can get through the content there just as quickly if not even quicker due to the amount of items that are thrown at you.

You can't design games purely around hardcore players. You'd have to spend either way to much resources the get the content required to feed them or you'd have to make it so difficult and hard that you'll most likely scare away a big chunk of your potential customer base.
    Woo, someone with intellect, rare shit after the latest posts on here.

Yeah its not these days, it has always been the case.

I am the type of player that enjoys rushing through things, and when i feel satisfied with the progression, i raid log or just the minimum necessary to stay up to par, did this back in 2005, doing it in 2019.

I have other games to play, other things to do, and i am not interested in some things the game has to offer, but i dont whine, i know the way i play.

I aint gonna whine about "lack of things to do" when i choose to play 5h+/day minimum the first week of every patch and if its days off or some period where i can play, i play as much as i feel that its fun.

I think the real question is: How many players will be left after the initial drop-off?

And for this question I personally think that there will be more players left on the servers than Blizzard expected. I think Classic will be bigger than Blizzard expected.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for every one is raiding and realizing they have to share a few drops with 40 man. I have my popcorn ready! (i do like Classic for the 1-60 experience).

It was expected that after 1-2 weeks, the queues would be dramatically lower. People took a week or two off for classic and are now going back to work. Add to that increased server capacity and free migrations and it's not hard to see why the queues aren't as big as they were during week 1.

That said, it was to be expected that many people played classic for the first time and were curious, some stayed, others didn't. I fully expect classic to stay with a healthy population. Will it overtake retail? No, but personally I hope Blizzard will finally take some of the lessons of classic to heart and make the game more like an RPG again, and less like the Diablo MMO it is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    That's also no indication that they've stopped playing, just that they've stopped playing *that character*.
    Yeah the sensible conclusion is they've got a toon to lvl 20 and just decided to roll something else in another guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I regularly do a "/who 2" to see newly created char which aren't bank alt on the whole realm, and it's a consistent 25 to 35 each time. Remember that going from 2 to 3 takes at most 15 mn, so it's not the same characters from one check to another.
    Did the usual check tonight. Only got 19, so I was "oh, that must be population finally starting to drop". But then, 15 mn later it was 31, and now it's 39.
    Guess it's still not yet time for shrinking.

I've two friends who will want sometime (they aren't real Classic fans, just some tourists who want a nostalgia trip), they haven't yet started to play because it's too overpopulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I think the real question is: How many players will be left after the initial drop-off?

And for this question I personally think that there will be more players left on the servers than Blizzard expected. I think Classic will be bigger than Blizzard expected.
    Regardless of how many stay, it's already been much bigger than what Blizzard expected.
    Last edited by Akka; 2019-09-11 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    EDIT: Lest you think I'm crazy on older people playing videogames let me assure you that I'm not. There's a Facebook group for WoW targeted at those 55+ and older that has close to 2000 members. One for 35 and older that's closing on 10,000 members. That's just for WoW. That's replicated across any number of games and retro-gaming categories. Boomers when retiring need something to fill up a few hours a day and video games are just the thing for many of them. They are an important market now and will be more important over time.
    I can't find a link, but I distinctly remember an interview in which the developers stated that originally WoW was accidentally designed to be a very good match for elderly gamers. This was because they had to cope with the fickle and high latency internet situation of 2004, so all the game mechanics had to be able to survive pretty bad conditions, leading to low actions per minute and high action latency forgiveness design choices.

While I'm quoting myself, let's roll :
    I'm wondering too, because I also certainly don't see any drop-off.
    That being said, when you look closer, a lot of the people saying loudly that population is shrinking, tend to be people who post history shows a strong bias against Classic. I wonder just how much is an attempt at convince themselves and others and how much is factual constatation.
    Case in point :
    Quote Originally Posted by Willhouse View Post
    My realm from queue of 7k on EU went to medium and trade chat is spammed by the same five ppl.Dead game.Soon.
    Let's see this guy's history :
    Four full realms at classic launch is like exact number of ppl that queue pet battles in BFA.Nothing impressive.
    We havent even begun to ruin your vanilla exp.By the time next phase comes you will have all QoL stuff that you have on retail.LFG,quest tracker,aoe loot,transmog....hell maybe we even go for achievements XD.
    As soon as 8.2.5 launches no1 will remember classic.It will be:Classic who?!?!
    This is why i HATE classic.No achievements,no LFG,no transmog,almost no mounts,no flying,community is EXTREMLY toxic,should i go on?
    And so on. Speaks for itself, just YET ANOTHER poster whose only forum life is about dismissing Classic. The Classic Derangement Syndrome thread was really on-point.

Also, on the EU realms, there is actually only 4 servers with a "medium" population, three of them being the new transfert realms and the last one being a post-release added realm. So the claim of this guy "from 7000 queue to medium" is factually a lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    I can't find a link, but I distinctly remember an interview in which the developers stated that originally WoW was accidentally designed to be a very good match for elderly gamers. This was because they had to cope with the fickle and high latency internet situation of 2004, so all the game mechanics had to be able to survive pretty bad conditions, leading to low actions per minute and high action latency forgiveness design choices.
    I doubt if many on this site will believe this and it may be wishful thinking but if WoW is to grow at all it's future is with older gamers. I'm not so young myself having been around for the launch of D1, Ultima1, Bard's Tale and games of that nature. I find that not a few of my friends find WoW as a relatively inexpensive way to spend some of their leisure time. I've done some volunteering at assisted living centers and more than once I've passed rooms where the game was plainly visible on resident's monitors.

The market is there if Blizzard wants to take advantage of it and I only see it growing if the word gets out. Even for those on fixed incomes $15 a month goes a long way toward filling empty hours with something that keeps their minds active and has a social component that is quite different from what is normally written about here.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Regardless of how many stay, it's already been much bigger than what Blizzard expected.
    Yes, I agree.

It's only expected that a lot of "modern gamers" don't like the way Classic is, however, the amount of people who love it is crazy huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    I m not doing that, priests are hard to level.
    Holy fire > MB > SWP > Wand

It's literally a Netflix rotation

10+ Year Old Account
    OSRS did it successfully because they updated weekly to become the better game. Vanilla would only last if it had content updates that surpassed Retails.