Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

what classes could be combined to simplify the game

Simply put; the game is becoming bloated in classes and specs and needs to be simplified so the cost of time balancing the game is improved and a new and more fun class and/or spec can be added down the road. what would be the classes to combine with the result that at least 1 or 2 specs would be removed from the total after the combination?.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Close this thread.

None. Not adding any more new classes is completely sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This.

But preferably just stop revamping them for no reason.

It doesn't matter how many classes there are so long as they actually take the time to work on them and keep iterating them to perfection, and if they didn't hit the fucking reset button every other expansion we'd already have well balanced, well designed classes.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-09-11 at 01:24 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I always felt that Paladins and Death Knights were cut from the same cloth. Same can be said for Shaman and Death Knights. Also, Druids and Death Knights have way too many similarities, they're practically the same! /s

I'd be OK if every class was collated into 2 specs (3 for druids) - with larger customization options and ability "pool" for each spec, so I could for example build a "DPS oriented tank", or "single target DPS glass cannon" or "mobile DPS with cc-options". I think this would still preserve the three archetype roles, but give us situational options to adapt to different content and encounter options.

But no new classes please.
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-09-08 at 07:59 AM.

I don't want to simplify so expensive game. Just hire more balance designers.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I think we should simplify the game to 3 classes:
    "tank", "healer" and "damage".

Also they should all have 1 button: tank named "aggro", healer - "heal" and dps - "do damage".

That way the game will be simplified enough to be played on mobile by 5 year olds. Win win I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwgmon View Post
    I always felt that Paladins and Death Knights were cut from the same cloth. Same can be said for Shaman and Death Knights. Also, Druids and Death Knights have way too many similarities, they're practically the same! /s
    While it may seem crazy at first, combining Paladin and Death Knight would be a light and dark side class much like the priest with holy and shadow specs. this could result in the elimination of 2 specs out of the total of 6 between them and still have a very fun class. other possible combinations would be rogue/warrior, mage/priest, and Demon Hunter/Warlock. WoW is currently going in an unsustainable direction with more and more classes/specs being added with costs of balancing and debugging them going higher and higher.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This, 100%.

Now from a pure speculation and fun "what if" point of things, sure there could be plenty of things merged.
    - Warrior and Paladin could be merged, with the DPS spec being basically a Paladin who decided his rage was more important to focus on than his faith. For healing it be Paladin we have now, and for the tanking it be a combo of the two.

- Rogues and Demon Hunters. Both are flighty and hard to hit, operation from the shadows. Could essentially just give Demon Hunters another DPS spec that focuses on corrupted bloods / poisons and stealth.

- Priest and Warlock. Could merge the priests healing trees with the talents having a focus on the direction they want to go. Could then make the third tree a pet based tree, with either light or shadow flair. Shadow could be reworked a bit to be more curse and shadow focused, slightly more akin to a warlocks corruption of life and death with soul shards, life tap, etc.

- Shaman and Monk or Shaman and Druid. Shaman really lost one of the core aspects of themselves in their limited amount of totems, so they're almost redundant at this point. Roll them in with Monk if you want that elemental based, self focused style or roll them in with Druids for that elemental / earth and nature feel.

- Druids and Hunters. Either or are the pet or you have the pet. A Druid may decide instead of being the pet, they want to be one with nature, have a pet, and use their cunning to deal with traps and a bow and arrow.

Mage. Not necessarily merged, but could probably be trimmed down to just 2 specs; Arcane and elemental, where the elemental is a merger of fire and frost, with talents allowing them to lean one way or the other.

Doing that, which again I"m not really for, would remove about 14 specs from the game, which would most likely make it a lot easier to balance / make feel full and complete.

Going forward with the classes too, they also need to stop adding and stripping things away each expansion. Get them to a point that feels good, and leave them alone. We don't need a talent stripped away from us only to be added in later off of a piece of gear.
    Last edited by Thetruth1400; 2019-09-08 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    This, 100%.

Now from a pure speculation and fun "what if" point of things, sure there could be plenty of things merged.
    - Warrior and Paladin could be merged, with the DPS spec being basically a Paladin who decided his rage was more important to focus on than his faith. For healing it be Paladin we have now, and for the tanking it be a combo of the two.

- Rogues and Demon Hunters. Both are flighty and hard to hit, operation from the shadows. Could essentially just give Demon Hunters another DPS spec that focuses on corrupted bloods / poisons and stealth.

- Priest and Warlock. Could merge the priests healing trees with the talents having a focus on the direction they want to go. Could then make the third tree a pet based tree, with either light or shadow flair. Shadow could be reworked a bit to be more curse and shadow focused, slightly more akin to a warlocks corruption of life and death with soul shards, life tap, etc.

- Shaman and Monk or Shaman and Druid. Shaman really lost one of the core aspects of themselves in their limited amount of totems, so they're almost redundant at this point. Roll them in with Monk if you want that elemental based, self focused style or roll them in with Druids for that elemental / earth and nature feel.

- Druids and Hunters. Either or are the pet or you have the pet. A Druid may decide instead of being the pet, they want to be one with nature, have a pet, and use their cunning to deal with traps and a bow and arrow.
    very interesting ideas with the druid/hunter combination one that I have never thought of before and the point of Shaman being sadly redundant very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    This.

Also stop revamping them for no reason.

It doesn't matter how many classes there are so long as they actually take the time to work on them and keep iterating them to perfection, and if they didn't hit the reset button every other expansion we'd already have well balanced, well designed classes.
    Or we'd have constant whine threads about how lazy Blizzard is for not making any changes to classes in X number of years. And of course there would be the question of what iteration of each class/spec is the "best" one that they should've stuck with and the endless arguments that would arise from that. Not unlike the arguments of what "real" classic is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fascinating how many people seem to believe that a large and expansive game should be cut off at the knees by removing classes, squishing levels and generally making the game look as if it had just been released.

In my view all of this is dead wrong.

Furthermore I don't accept the premise of the thread that reducing classes makes the game simpler. Once you pick your class the game is what it is.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

None. It's only a nightmare to balance because the designers are stupid.

Best example Legion: Artifact weapons + Legendary proccs. It was obvious this was going to be a balancing nightmare, but they did it anyway.

Same with BfA and the Azerite Armor. Just stupid.

Didn't happen when we just had tier sets.

And who said that complete balance should be achieved? Because it absolutely shouldn't.

Plus: the game is so streamlined nowadays, it's dead boring already. If you think it's too complicated you are playing the wrong game. Go back to Diablo, pls.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    None. It's only a nightmare to balance because the designers are stupid.

Best example Legion: Artifact weapons + Legendary proccs. It was obvious this was going to be a balancing nightmare, but they did it anyway.

Same with BfA and the Azerite Armor. Just stupid.

Didn't happen when we just had sets.

And who said that complete balance should be achieved? Because it absolutely shouldn't.
    You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say the designers are stupid because they went ahead with Legion and having artifacts and legendaries unbalance-able. Then finish your post by saying complete balance absolutely should not be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say the designers are stupid because they went ahead with Legion and having artifacts and legendaries unbalance-able. Then finish your post by saying complete balance absolutely should not be achieved.
    It's not a contradiction. In Legion the devs were constantly struggling with balancing the two systems plus tier sets. It just ate up too much of their ressources and resulted in removing tier sets, which weren't even the culprit here. Aside from that I find that the constant changing and tuning of ingame features has an overall disruptive effect on the game. Make it proper from the start.

Yeah, and I absolutely think that complete balance between all classes should not be achieved.

I know this is a troll thread, but demon hunter could have been part of warlock instead of a stand alone class. Old demonology with metamorphosis was already pretty close (thematically) to demon hunter, and dark apotheosis could have been decoupled into it's own tanking spec, much like guardian druid being split from feral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Simply put; the game is becoming bloated in classes and specs and needs to be simplified so the cost of time balancing the game is improved and a new and more fun class and/or spec can be added down the road. what would be the classes to combine with the result that at least 1 or 2 specs would be removed from the total after the combination?.
    combine all the tank specs into one class, combine all the healer specs into one class, combine all the DPS specs into one class...

there... problem solved... you are either a tank, a healer or a DPS... never shall they interconnect their skills.

/sarcasm off.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Well - DH and DK obviously.

Rogue could be incorporated into druid.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    It's not a contradiction. In Legion the devs were constantly struggling with balancing the two systems plus tier sets. It just ate up too much of their ressources and resulted in removing tier sets, which weren't even the culprit here. Aside from that I find that the constant changing and tuning of ingame features has an overall disruptive effect on the game. Make it proper from the start.

Yeah, and I absolutely think that complete balance between all classes should not be achieved.
    You think tier was removed cause of the legendary/artifact balancing problem? The problem with the "make it proper" thing is the classes have been through so many iterations that no one would be able to agree which version of a class could be used. To borrow the argument from classic everyone has their own idea of what version of classic is better. What patch, what hotfixes, what bugs to leave in, etc, is the right one. If they reverted the classes back to any version and then only made cosmetic errors they'd end up with a huge angry playerbase mad that their favorite version wasn't used. Followed by more anger later on from the "omg Blizz is so lazy they haven't revamped my class in X years, they don't care anymore!!!!11111one!"