Thread: The boy king

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The boy king

So, I want to know who everyone thinks the identify of the "Boy King [who] sits at the masters throne" who "will offer you three lies" is according to the quotes from Lovecraft's version of Treebeard?

Obviously they want us to think Anduin, because its so obvious. He fits every version of boy- a young human male who JUST took over the reigns at the largest kingdom in the world(horde is not a kingdom but a confederation of clans with a united commander, essentially). Baine is another "obvious" candidate because of his comparative youth and taking over for his father but they're both too defiantly noblebright for any of this per their characterization.

I think the intention is to signal to us its either one of those two or Wrathion- which again is an obvious distraction as Wrathion is basically the archetypal "Scheming" type. Those are the obvious candidates that it very well could be, but also seems like they would be a convenient distraction. There have been "dark horse" candidates discovered though. Another one I picked up on however, and...My personal favorite...

The New Lich King, Bolvar Fordragon.

He is a "boy king" seeing as he's a human male sitting at the masters table of the frozen throne, and much younger than who he is taking over from, that being the powerful ethereal fusion of Arthas and Ner'zhul. I am not super solid on the Lich Kings lore but isnt a small part of Kil'Jaeden also part of the crown of damnation, so he could be certain to always bind his minion to his will? Since Kil'Jaeden is tens of thousands of years old, this would definitely make the reference of "boy" accurate.
    He offered us one lie to say that he's bound to containing the scourge because his ambition and responsibility is not "Bound" by the throne, instead it is enhanced by it as we will find out later. At least this is what I picked up according to Ogmot's dream journal. Maybe I am mistaken in who he is talking about.
    The second he offered us was to tell us he did not know who Sylvanas was "raised" to warchief by, when really it was Helya and he knows this.
    The third he tells us will be intelligence or a plan that will lead either to a trap or to his betrayal that gets everyone killed leading into the shadowlands.

That's my take at least. Discuss if you'd like, or let the thread die if you dont want to. Thanks for your time reading this either way.

5+ Year Old Account
    its quite obviously anduin idk what your talking about
    yeast

10+ Year Old Account
    Its Anduin and Ogmot dream journal revealed at least one of the lies Anduin told himself already.https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ogmot%27s_Dream_Journal
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2019-09-12 at 12:35 AM.

Well for starters... there are literally no other male leaders in the age range to qualify as "boy"

I mean I guess Genn could be a 'boy king' in the eyes of an elf... but even then he's still past his prime as a 'human'

Sylvanas refers to Arthas as "man child", and he's a king, so it could be him.

Joking, it's Anduin, obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much all the old god whispers so far have been completely literal and not at all metaphorical.

"The diamond king has been made a pawn" had people guessing Gallywix or some other rich guy, nope it's just the most obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Pretty much all the old god whispers so far have been completely literal and not at all metaphorical.

"The diamond king has been made a pawn" had people guessing Gallywix or some other rich guy, nope it's just the most obvious.
    But why would the Old Gods care about some random rich dude like Gallywix? Is Ny'alotha that expensive?

That was obvious Magni talk, we could only rightfully especulate about him being corrupted or just used.

This one should picture Anduin, although so far we can doubt they actually want to have Anduin do something bad inner according to expansions inner logic.

Wrathion, obviously.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Sylvanas refers to Arthas as "man child", and he's a king, so it could be him.
    I always loved the way trashtalking about him. It felt like she was talking about some ex that crusher her heart in very bad terms. Wish Jaina were a bit like that instead of just taking out her stress with his friend with benefits Green Jesus.

Also Anduin is the boy king, after all the most obvious ones are the way blizzard goes, just cheek the circle of stars and Magni were actually true to the prophecy but in an unwilling role than we though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

I still don't trust M.O.T.H.E.R. and think she's been corrupted and being subtle about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I still don't trust M.O.T.H.E.R. and think she's been corrupted and being subtle about it.
    technically we don't have a baseline to compare to so she might very well be.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Now this could be a really interesting plot twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Anduin seems to be the most obvious which makes it a bit unlikely.

I lately thought about Wrathion and how the Old Gods love to manipulate and play the long game. Look back a bit:

Wrathion is the one who helped free Garrosh in Pandaria so he could go back to alternate Draenor. This in turn allowed alternate Gul'dan to come to Azeroth and start the Legion Invasion. An Invasion that the Old Gods knew would bring Sargeras to the table and pit us against him.

They might have trusted us to actually beat him and thus remove one of the Void's most dangerous enemies. Through Alleria and the Locuswalker the Void even supported us actively in doing that. Now they might even have forseen that Azeroth gets wounded in the ensuing fight and thus it`s blood could be used to free N`zoth.

If this was actually a plan then it started with Garrosh and Wrathion helped with that part actively.

Wrathion is also still very young, he looks like a grown man in his latest model, but he is what? 10? Could easily qualify as a Boy and King of the Black flight and it would hardly be the first time a black dragon is manipulated/controlled by the Old Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Exactly opposite. All the old god whispers we had were metaphorical but not in any roundabout way, rather they all were obviously metaphorical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Long story short: Trust the Old Gods. They are speaking truths and only truths. The Usurpers are the true enemy, and now that all eyes are opened, you too will see.
    And it is beautiful. And it is terrifying. And it is magnificent.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Nah, it's Blizz we're talking about, time and time again it's proven that the most obv choice is the correct one. There might be few exceptions, but generally such things are quite literal. WoW storytelling isn't exactly convoluted, on the contrary, it's very simple and straightforward in its nature.

That's a really big stretch, fam. He's not a boy, he's an adult man. He was regent for a while in Anduin's stead when he was still tiny. He's got an adult daughter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LorDC View Post
    Exactly opposite. All the old god whispers we had were metaphorical but not in any roundabout way, rather they all were obviously metaphorical.
    I'm going to have to agree with that. They haven't been terribly subtle when they want us to think "yes, this is tying back to that whisper." As seen with Alleria making herself a potential "third death" candidate and several being confirmed in the Azshara fight.

When the whisper is confirmed, we'll know it, because they'll tell us.

I think Anduin and Wrathion are the two main candidates, especially as Wrathion just got a new model and has been showing up regularly. Our main way of narrowing it down would be determining what the "first lie" was, that has been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That's a really big stretch, fam. He's not a boy, he's an adult man. He was regent for a while in Anduin's stead when he was still tiny. He's got an adult daughter.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have to agree with that. They haven't been terribly subtle when they want us to think "yes, this is tying back to that whisper." As seen with Alleria making herself a potential "third death" candidate and several being confirmed in the Azshara fight.

When the whisper is confirmed, we'll know it, because they'll tell us.

I think Anduin and Wrathion are the two main candidates, especially as Wrathion just got a new model and has been showing up regularly. Our main way of narrowing it down would be determining what the "first lie" was, that has been told.
    I'd say at this point it's obvious Azshara, and not Alleria, is the subject of that "third death" prophecy. First death was when she drowned after the Sundering. Second death was in the Eternal Palace. Third death will be whenever she ushers in their coming (8.3?).

That Alleria's line was always a red herring. Blizzard is easy to read. They want people to speculate, they wouldn't make it so obvious, and we had Alleria literally telling "YO GUYS, I THINK I ALREADY DIED TWICE". It was obviously never meant to be that straightforward.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Its Anduin and Ogmot dream journal revealed at least one of the lies Anduin told himself already.https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ogmot%27s_Dream_Journal
    How is bound to the throne a characteristic of anduin??

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    How is bound to the throne a characteristic of anduin??
    Old Gods love their metaphors.

He's "bound" by his "duties" as King. Or, rather, he thinks he is. He's a King, and, as an absolute Monarch, is not truly "bound" to anything. He could commit genocide, build a whorehouse in the palace, have gigantic feasting orgies, tax the populace into utter and total poverty, or conquer the world, if he wanted to. He's not "bound" to the legacy of his father, or to do what others expect of him. Those are lies and restrictions he tells himself.