Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What lacks this m+ comp?

Hi! I returned to WoW (retail) and now with my fiance & brother in law. We are only doing M+ content and we plan to reach highest possible. We even manage to add to our group another player we met on a PUG.

We are checking in Raider.io what classes are performing "best" and...oh boy, didnt expect those numbers. We are afraid that we cant reach a +20 (in time) without having Monk/Warr tank, Dudu heal, 2+Rogue 1+DH... Is that true? Actually we are Dudu tank, Fury Warr and Boomkin (I'm "flex" so I'm not decided yet to get into 1 class or role) and we are looking for 1 more to fill our group, but still, I'm not sure if its MANDATORY to have those classes/specs to reach our goal...

Currently we are doing +5-7, so we are not seeing how its gonna be when s*** get real.

Am I wrong on my suppositions? Any suggestion for our comp?

EDIT:
    I've got Monk, DK, Rogue, DH, Priest, Mage, Lock and Shaman @ 120 lvl
    Last edited by droontar; 2019-09-07 at 07:52 PM.

What ilvl do you guys have? Care to sahre raider.io informations?

TBH +5-7 is pretty low if you're aiming for +20.

Only TOP 2,875 runs were in time in +20 according to raider.io in the entire world. Keep in mind that plenty of the players are the same in these.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-09-07 at 07:57 PM.

Learn the classes and the dungeons first. Don't get ahead of yourselves. Get to the point you're running 10s in time, then 15s in time, then see if people actually even have the interest still to stick to the plan. You'd be surprised how many people find out that they actually don't enjoy certain content as much as they expected, or they get bored faster than they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    What ilvl do you guys have? Care to sahre raider.io informations?

TBH +5-7 is pretty low if you're aiming for +20.

Only TOP 2,875 runs were in time in +20 according to raider.io in the entire world. Keep in mind that plenty of the players are the same in these.
    Sooo actually we are running about 410-420. Our plan is to reach +20 on the long term haha

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Learn the classes and the dungeons first. Don't get ahead of yourselves. Get to the point you're running 10s in time, then 15s in time, then see if people actually even have the interest still to stick to the plan. You'd be surprised how many people find out that they actually don't enjoy certain content as much as they expected, or they get bored faster than they thought.
    In case that everyone ever have the interest to stick to the plan and we've invested X time in a character that well, it underperforms against Y (For example, I love Feral Druids and Enhance Shaman...)

Quote Originally Posted by droontar View Post
    In case that everyone ever have the interest to stick to the plan and we've invested X time in a character that well, it underperforms against Y (For example, I love Feral Druids and Enhance Shaman...)
    If you're serious about it and not just being like 90% of the community who has to mindlessly copypasta MDI comps despite running only +7 (don't be that guy please), then you should ensure your team has:

- combat rez
    - aoe stun
    - decent variety of dispels (for example you aren't left without poison or curse dispel)
    - classes that can provide both aoe and single target damage on demand (for example by respeccing depending on tyranical / fortified week)
    - at least 3 low cooldown interrupts across the team
    - 1 rogue is preferential for shroud skips, you can try to work around it with invis pots or death skips if you have the means (druid stealth and cr, warlock's soulstone etc.) but having a shroud is better than not having it since it can be used in addition to these other things

If you wanna know if it's impossible to reach +20 with x class / spec, don't check the leaderboards what common person is using (half of them use what's easier, the other half just copies the first half), check if there's ANY for example, guardian druid - if yes, you have a proof you in fact CAN do +20 with a guardian druid. If none, then start worrying.

But yes, of course it's easier to do things with for example, double rogue. Do you have to? That depends on:
    - how much extra effort are you willing to put to counter non meta comp
    - how much better are you on your original dps than on a rogue (not everyone can play all classes to the same capability)

Just to say, I have a friend who's playing dps warrior - not a meta class. He's making his own groups for m+ and pushing. Recently he did a couple of +20s in time. Out of curiosity I checked his team comps on r.io:

one team: guardian druid, disc priest, shadow priest, rogue and him, fury warrior
    second team: prot warrior, disc priest, ww monk, rogue and him

So yes, the only "meta" mandatory class seems to be rogue.

I'd say have a battle rezz and a rogue to make timing keys a bit easier.

I think up to about +15 it doesn't really matter what comp you run, most important is that you learn the dungeons. Not only the best way (changes anyway from week to week) but also which trash hits the hardest etc. When you know the dungeons and feel something is missing you can switch to your Alts depending on what is needed.

You will need a class with battle rez - the rest is optional but many will bring a Rogue since shroud is nice QoL.

https://raider.io/mythic-plus-rankin...ict/17#content check around here and see what kind of spec people play.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Chances that your casual family team does a +20 in time are indeed very low. I would suggest to aim lower first, or you'll just get disappointed and annoyed.

Sooo actually we are running about 410-420. Our plan is to reach +20 on the long term haha
    As a general rule of thumb, I would say a group at 410-420 doing +5-7's is going to cap out at around +13-15 in your likely endgame gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't care about Raider.io score, aim for nothing above a +10.

Quote Originally Posted by Capo dei capi View Post
    Unless you have fun just pushing the keys and trying to improve your skills.

Play what you prefer and see how far it takes you, why play shit you don't like as much that you enjoy the journey less on?

We're getting 18/19's done (its an easy week) with stuff like Prot pala, SP, mage etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Capo dei capi View Post
    Doing higher keys just for io score is idiotic in my eyes. Who even looks at your score? Nobody.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Doing higher keys just for io score is idiotic in my eyes. Who even looks at your score? Nobody.
    If you're pugging, the two things that matter most are your class and your rio score.

Anyway, to answer OP, as has been pointed out before, since you already have a CR with your boomkin, the best choice to complete your comp would probably be a rogue, especially if you intend to do Tol Dagor

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    "Look at me mom, I'm on the leaderboard!"

Tbh if there was no r.io you'd be surprised how many people who claim to play "for the challenge" would quit if they weren't getting virtual accolades for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Play what you prefer and see how far it takes you, why play shit you don't like as much that you enjoy the journey less on?

We're getting 18/19's done (its an easy week) with stuff like Prot pala, SP, mage etc.
    Agreed, an average player has better results from playing a spec they know well than a fotm stronger spec they're usually not as comfortable on. Except cases where a person is equally good on both classes (usually only among top hardcore players) or their current spec is really, really weak (most super weak specs were buffed across the patches of bfa, like guardian druids or resto shamans).

Hi! I returned to WoW (retail) and now with my fiance & brother in law. We are only doing M+ content and we plan to reach highest possible. We even manage to add to our group another player we met on a PUG.

We are checking in Raider.io what classes are performing "best" and...oh boy, didnt expect those numbers. We are afraid that we cant reach a +20 (in time) without having Monk/Warr tank, Dudu heal, 2+Rogue 1+DH... Is that true? Actually we are Dudu tank, Fury Warr and Boomkin (I'm "flex" so I'm not decided yet to get into 1 class or role) and we are looking for 1 more to fill our group, but still, I'm not sure if its MANDATORY to have those classes/specs to reach our goal...

Currently we are doing +5-7, so we are not seeing how its gonna be when s*** get real.

Am I wrong on my suppositions? Any suggestion for our comp?

EDIT:
    I've got Monk, DK, Rogue, DH, Priest, Mage, Lock and Shaman @ 120 lvl
    Something to consider about this whole MDI meta rubbish is that the MDI is a speed run, where as to the rest of us mortals m+ is a timed run; they are different things. If you want to time a 20 with 3 chest timers, yeah, your gonna need a really specific toolkit like double rogue or double unholy DK. But to to meet the +1 timer you can bring anything at all so long as the bases are covered with stuns, interiors, a combat Rez etc.

Basically, don't confuse the meta with what you need to complete a high key in time; they are two different things.

Anything is viable but people confuse min/maxing with viability. I'd rather have a Druid tank that knows what he's doing over a Warrior tank that can pump DPS but doesn't know how to manage his mitigation.

What's your group thinking of for options? Plan around things like Brez/buff/debuffs. You can get people to be engineers and brez that way, you can use scrolls for buffs, you can't get around a monk or DH debuff. Shroud skip? Just use invis pots. But plan for these things, and learn all the mechanics. Nothing will 1-shot you doing a +10, but suddenly in a +20 you're going to get absolutely destroyed by all the mechanics so learning them all and practicing them, balancing interrupts, this is all way more important than the class you play.

Personally, I would just play what you have fun playing and see how far that takes you. For some reason, I just don't like resto druid's playstyle, so I just stick with disc.

Granted, my M+ group from last season all quit WoW for different reasons, so I've hardly done any in S3. But I'd like to think if we played classes to make it easier on us, people would have quit sooner because they weren't enjoying what they were playing.

If you are just returning to the game I would NOT recommend aiming for +20... Just see how it goes or everyone will just get frustrated if they can't keep pushing the key past 14 or something. Remember that you need to time the keys all the way up to 20 and if you fail then you drop down a level and have to pass another dungeon just to get back to where you were. It causes a lot of toxicity if you didn't time the dungeon because someone accidentally pulled a mob or died to an easy mechanic or something.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-09-12 at 12:37 AM.