Fantasy Casting - Warcraft: Reign of Chaos

Suffice to say, the long-anticipated Warcraft movie flopped, financially and critically. If Legendary Pictures hired you to take the helm of a new Warcraft movie, what time period would you focus on, and who would you cast? Here's mine!

Here's mine.

WARCRAFT (MOVIE): REIGN OF CHAOS

Prince Arthas Menethil: Liam Hemsworth

The protagonist of the story, he's the young prince of Lordaeron who eventually falls from grace and becomes the villainous Lich King.

Uther the Lightbringer: Daniel Craig

Head Paladin of the Order of the Silver Hand in service to Lordaeron and Arthas' mentor.

Jaina Proudmoore: Indiana Evans

Arthas' love interest and one of the most capable mages of the Kirin Tor.

Illidan Stormrage: Idris Alba

The power-hungry night elf Demon Hunter who covets his brother's love.

Malfurion Stormrage: Chiwetel Ejiofor

Illidan's twin brother and the most powerful Druid in all of Azeroth.

Tyrande Windwhisper: Thandie Newton

Moon Priestess, love of Malfurion and leader of the Night Elves.

Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider: Jamie Bell

Crown Prince of Quel'telas, mage of the Kirin Tor and in love with Lady Jaina Proudmoore.

Sylvanas Windrunner: Teresa Palmer

Ardent defender of Silvermoon and fated Queen of the Forsaken.

King Terenas Menethil: Jeremy Irons

King of Lordaeron and father of Prince Arthas.

And...

Grom Hellscream: Hugh Jackman

As the voice and motion capture of disgraced Orc, Grommash Hellscream.

Also starring..

Thrall: Toby Kebell
    Medivh: Lee Pace
    Muradin Bronzebeard: Richard Armitage
    Kel'thuzad: Jason Isaacs
    Mal'Ganis: Benedict Cumberbatch as voice only

Do you see night elves at black or are your choices above merely a coincidence?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna lie, Idris with the Ears/Hair and the Purple Skin Colour would be an awesome fucking Illidan.

Nikolaj would make a perfect Kael'thas though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neenaw View Post
    Do you see night elves at black or are your choices above merely a coincidence?
    Typical token casting. He wanted to appear "progressive" but didn't want the backlash so he casts the black actors for Roles with races that need recolouring anyway.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd definitely like a WC3:RoC film. But I think it's too wide of a scope, so I'd limit the script to the Human campaign. Arthas' fall is still one of my favourite moments in Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Stephen Lang would be a great Uther, but he might be too old at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Typical token casting. He wanted to appear "progressive" but didn't want the backlash so he casts the black actors for Roles with races that need recolouring anyway.
    Why can't black actors play elves?

I'd cast Idris Alba because of his voice, size, and acting chops to pull off Illidan. If anything only his feet would be CGI with some other enhancements but not straight up motion capture like orcs have to be. For his brother I wanted somebody with equal acting ability that came from a similar background, IE: not another white guy. Chiwetel Ejiofor is no large man but Malfurion is so much more beast than elf that he'd require a lot of CGI touch up and make-up that would bring him up to Alba's size. I wanted his voice to counter Alba's Illidan's and facial expression for his acting ability. Thandie Newton just looks like Tyrande to me, and in-game Tyrande is voiced with an African accent so... why wouldn't I cast an actor of African background?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Stephen Lang would be a great Uther, but he might be too old at this point.
    That would be a good choice too! He has that authoritative demeanor I'd expect out of Uther.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Not gonna lie, Idris with the Ears/Hair and the Purple Skin Colour would be an awesome fucking Illidan.

Nikolaj would make a perfect Kael'thas though.
    He does look the part, I just went with Jamie Bell because when I saw his facial structure/expression, it reminded me of Kael'thas right out of Warcraft III's hero portraits. Kael'thas always seemed like a character that on the outside seemed confident and resilient even in the face of adversity, but on the inside he's frail, always at the point of emotionally cracking and unsure of himself. He's pretty much like Arthas, despite being much older and supposedly wiser, but he never cracked, at least not in WC: III, but he constantly looks like he lives at the edge of just breaking down completely. Jamie Bell has that hard to read expression that looks like he's trying to be strong but is vulnerable.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Why can't black actors play elves?

I'd cast Idris Alba because of his voice, size, and acting chops to pull off Illidan. If anything only his feet would be CGI with some other enhancements but not straight up motion capture like orcs have to be. For his brother I wanted somebody with equal acting ability that came from a similar background, IE: not another white guy. Chiwetel Ejiofor is no large man but Malfurion is so much more beast than elf that he'd require a lot of CGI touch up and make-up that would bring him up to Alba's size. I wanted his voice to counter Alba's Illidan's and facial expression for his acting ability. Thandie Newton just looks like Tyrande to me, and in-game Tyrande is voiced with an African accent so... why wouldn't I cast an actor of African background?

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a good choice too! He has that authoritative demeanor I'd expect out of Uther.

- - - Updated - - -

He does look the part, I just went with Jamie Bell because when I saw his facial structure/expression, it reminded me of Kael'thas right out of Warcraft III's hero portraits. Kael'thas always seemed like a character that on the outside seemed confident and resilient even in the face of adversity, but on the inside he's frail, always at the point of emotionally cracking and unsure of himself. He's pretty much like Arthas, despite being much older and supposedly wiser, but he never cracked, at least not in WC: III, but he constantly looks like he lives at the edge of just breaking down completely. Jamie Bell has that hard to read expression that looks like he's trying to be strong but is vulnerable.
    Nikolaj as Jamie Lannistar is basically that. Confidence masking insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I'd definitely like a WC3:RoC film. But I think it's too wide of a scope, so I'd limit the script to the Human campaign. Arthas' fall is still one of my favourite moments in Warcraft
    Only thing is, it would be hard to completely tell Arthas' fall without Illidan, he's so integral to the character, and if Illidan has to be in the film as something more than just an obstacle for Arthas, but another character audiences care about, his story would have to be told adjacent with Arthas', so you also need Malfurion, Tyrande, and Thrall and Grom as well for the Kalimdor side. It's like Illidan and Arthas' stories would run side by side, but on different continents, leading up to the film's conclusion where they meet for the second time, Arthas defeats him, ascends to The Frozen Throne and becomes Lich King.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Nikolaj as Jamie Lannistar is basically that. Confidence masking insecurity.
    He'd also be great in the role then, good choice! I'm just not familiar with his work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this whole thing would work better as a miniseries, not a cinema film. Reason. Being each campaign really needs time to be fleshed out properly and needs additional time for exposition. A 2-4 hour film cuts way too much to fit it into a time slot.

Something along the lines of each campaign being a season would work much better. Giving room for characters to develop for the audience.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

7+ Year Old Account
    what kael is doing in reign of chains again

I rather see Blizzard focusing on making a serie based on Warcraft 1-3 instead of a movie.

The story is just too long and complicated to fill out in few movies.

Nah Sylvanas should be played by Macaulay Culkin on drugs

I'd CGI the shit out of it, screw actors.