Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    TBC was never that big of a deal in private server scene anyway. Sure few stragglers likes TBC, but if it doesn't bring blizzard good money (since they are the one's who runs stats) they won't release TBC.

I heard one of the vanilla developers saying recently, "Classic is here to stay."

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    This would be the most likely route

If Blizzard were to force TBC or Classic+ onto the current servers we'd end up right back at the beginning with people asking for Classic servers
    Transfer or even paid transfers to new servers. Problem becomes, how many people stay on the old servers and how many move to the new? Blizzard could easily do an "opt in" survey to figure out how many people would likely change realms.

A solution that satisfies those who are in the #NOCHANGES crowd and those of us who are cool with some changes as long as the core of the game isn't tainted.

I'll admit it, my first experience of WoW was through a private TBC server. Went official the last few months before WotLK hit when I got fed up of how broken private servers were...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    Because most of the people wanting Classic, wanted just Vanilla. Sure there are those that want BC and the other expacs on top of it, but we need to stop somewhere.
    No! I want WoD Realms!

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    Classic+ is the best route to take, TBC will divide the player base too much and introduces elements such as flying which killed the game.
    The advantage of Classic+ is the world can stay within Azeroth which will make the World continue to feel like a World.

Once TBC is introduced everything In Azeroth becomes obsolete.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot that Classic+ will come 10 months after Naxx opens.
    There won't be a Classic+. That would require actual creative development. They will not do this. There is no reason for it, either, as TBC is basically Classic+ and now that they have the tools to port the old data to the 7.3 client, why on earth would they put in the manpower to develop something "new" when they can simply let the converter run over the TBC data, have a team of ~5 people debug it for 2-3 months and most of the players will be totally content with it just because it allowes the Horde to degenerate itself to the Magic-Elf faction again.

Classic is a whole experience, but it isn't a never-ending one. I don't want to see that experience removed from availability, so I'm opposed to the idea of proceeding through the expansions at the expense of the preservation of the vanilla experience, but I would dearly, dearly love to see them release a version of the game that holds to the design philosophy of Classic while still being new content.

Ultimately, what I think they could do is overhaul how the game works in certain ways so that the different expansions are treated as self-contained universes, and let them exist as kind of "sub-servers" you could access from a hub in the main retail universe. Say, Caverns of Time. So say you're level 117 in retail, and you want to play quote-unquote "Burning Crusade". You go to CoT, go through a portal, and then you're level 60, with an empty inventory and entry-level gear. You can gain levels, do BC quests and dungeons, level profs, make friends with other people who are on the same subserver by chatting in Trade chat which is limited to people in the subserver, cap at 70, do endgame content, etc, and then go back to retail if you get bored and nothing will have changed. You're still 117, Outland is still accessible through the portals in Org/SW, you can still do legacy content in the retail world, and none of your items or money transferred.

Key difference though: there is no legacy content in the subserver worlds. You wouldn't be able to access old Azeroth under the BC model. If you want to do old Azeroth, you go to the Classic subserver. If want to do Karazhan in BC, you can, but Deadwind Pass exists by itself - there is no outer world you can access.

Blizz could release subservers one at a time without grossly impacting other servers or subservers, which preserves each of them as self-contained experiences, but it also lets people who want to progress through the story to do so. It also doesn't strain the playerbase unduly by putting in a whole bunch of different versions of the same content that dilutes the playerbase. It also allows a way forward for future content releases that doesn't force Blizz to make sacrifices to gameplay coherency to preserve old content in the retail world. The retail world can have plot advancements that make sense without making huge changes, and they can release new expansions as new subservers that mess with class design and lore and whatever, doing pretty much whatever seems fun without being subject to the effects on the world of previous expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a solution that would work for almost everyone:

Every 2 years, when Retail is content becomes 'dated', start a new season. Some existing Classic servers become...

1) Seasonal Classic servers, which are reset. Existing characters can transfer to...

2) Pristine Classic servers. These would be permanent Classic servers that would never change after the Classic rollout is complete. These characters could be copied (once) over to...

3) Timelost Classic servers. These would be servers with new Classic content. Imagine a what-if version of classic. What if Arthas conquered Outland before attacking Azeroth? Pristine Classic characters can also be copied (once) over to...

4) Pristine BC Servers. These would work like Pristine Classic: just the original BC content, performed in patch rollouts. The only difference would be the copied characters.

5) Seasonal BC Servers. These work exactly like Season Classic servers. No transferring allowed from Classic, to maintain the 'fresh server' experience.

Each season would offer a new expansion, and characters on pristine servers can move to the new pristine ones. As for Timelost servers, since it requires actual new content, probably only Classic should have them.

I think this appeases everyone. The only downside is that all these servers would fragment the community further.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigald View Post
    We separate the players so much with this, I'm not so sure about it
    I can see how most folks would think that way. But the problem with ALL TLP servers in other games, is people want to start fresh and level with the everyone. Having played on probably 10 or so TLPs between LOTRs and EQ1 and EQ2. The TLP servers slowly die the longer they're up, and eventually are ghost towns. Everyone arguing over which expac was the best, yadda yadda.

With this though, they could fix it. Merge servers, restart new classic realms as the need arouse to give new players a chance to jump on. While still allowing those who wish to stay at the end of their version a chance to do so. It will become a whole nother project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigald View Post
    Flying only in the new world, for the rest it seems normal stuff that people are not complaining about? I would say the seeds are mostly in WOTLK
    I see the point for resilience but if you are a pvp player, it was extremely frustrating to get killed by someone with some T4 or whatever with your full stuff pvp gear that took you an eternity to get so resilience helped a lot in that regard
    I actually agree with you; resilience was the best solution to a long line of attempts to balance pvp. People resented having an entirely separate gear progression system that effectively was acting like resistance gear, but i don't think any pvp solutions since have been as elegant.

most people despise resilience gear though. one of the arguments in favor of classic was a single gear stat system. that's why an icy barbed spear was an excellent raiding weapon for hunters until BWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    That exactly what BC is lol

@op Slamming BC on top of it will just bring the cries back that they wanted to stay on classic forever. Not that the cries will ever stop, can't wait to see what the crying looks like when classic reaches the final stage, currently crying about classic's difficulty because the game is 1.12 is in power.
    That's not true at all, for starters classic raids are 40 man, whilst TBC was 25/10 across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    I actually agree with you; resilience was the best solution to a long line of attempts to balance pvp. People resented having an entirely separate gear progression system that effectively was acting like resistance gear, but i don't think any pvp solutions since have been as elegant.

most people despise resilience gear though. one of the arguments in favor of classic was a single gear stat system. that's why an icy barbed spear was an excellent raiding weapon for hunters until BWL.
    I don't think anyone but a minority of a minority cared about pvp. Resilience was liked and disliked for the reason that unless a person carried two sets of gear they couldn't effectively fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post

It gets to a point where it's just impossible to balance it out especially with the way WoW evolved if you look at all the gear systems they injected. Not only that but with how many classes there is, resilience was an honest solution at the time but would look so limited right now.

Still think it would be a missed opportunity to no go for TBC not only because I loved it but it contained so much improvements to Classic on every front

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I can see how most folks would think that way. But the problem with ALL TLP servers in other games, is people want to start fresh and level with the everyone. Having played on probably 10 or so TLPs between LOTRs and EQ1 and EQ2. The TLP servers slowly die the longer they're up, and eventually are ghost towns. Everyone arguing over which expac was the best, yadda yadda.

With this though, they could fix it. Merge servers, restart new classic realms as the need arouse to give new players a chance to jump on. While still allowing those who wish to stay at the end of their version a chance to do so. It will become a whole nother project.
    That's the worry right, another whole project... It's hard to put your head around it with actual Blizzard. That's also why I'm so surprised at people expecting a Classic+ with new content

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Okay so I need some help here. Couple of threads now talking about how Blizzard will be stupid to release BC as an xpac on top of Classic.

I dont understand whats so stupid about it. People want the "Classic experience", sure. But then what?

Like is everyone on the server just going to farm the same instances over and over, and be geared to the teeth, just to do what? Run around in your awesome gear and kill the same things that you pretty much have on farm and have no use for since you already own every piece?

I guess what im asking is, whats the end game? What am I not seeing?

We level up, we raid, we are full geared... Alts? Whats next?
    My idea for classic+ is modifiers and speed runs for cosmetic gear. Make the end game for classic be a horizontal progression instead of vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    So stop at WotLK.

Cata was where the game really declined. No question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjack;51627616t
    I don't think anyone but a minority of a minority cared about pvp. Resilience was liked and disliked for the reason that unless a person carried two sets of gear they couldn't effectively fight back.
    No, a huge portion of players cared about PvP. It was more accessible to more players than raid content a the time. than

Probably isn't any world where TBC comes out one day, and there are current players of Classic that would be upset if it were treated as "Well now this is TBC Classic".

Who out there thought TBC wasn't an improvement?

Pretty sure a Classic & TBC setup, as two different launcher options, would be a fail. The OG Classic experience would dwindle in numbers, while TBC would explode.

Problem is, where do you stop? Wotlk? Cataclysm? After TBC, you get varying opinions of where the game 'started to decay'. I wouldn't definitely wouldn't play Cataclysm Classic, and even Wotlk would be a maybe for me.
    Last edited by fangless; 2019-09-23 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I predict the orginal trilogy will happen. If they each have even half the hype of Classic then its worth it to spin them up and drop them during the slower release cycles at Blizzard. Would basically be printing money during a time when you normally are just riding it out.

After that you get into dicey territory but why not just release them if they keep printing money. If they keep adding value to the monthly sub. If they add even a slight retention?
    I know the only rewind server I'd probably be really interested in is WotLK.

I'm hoping that Classic will be successful enough that they will release a TBC or WotLK server. That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Because leveling is as dull as in classic?
    to not abuse the system by getting something in classic like attiesh and then coping the char to the next servers...so no char copy #nochange, kk?

Because Blizzard hates money.

Oh wai-

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I'm hoping that Classic will be successful enough that they will release a TBC or WotLK server. That would be great.
    This is what i want too, will not play classic that much more then to grind pvp titles but TBC is where it's at.
    Do you hear the voices too?

15+ Year Old Account
    i feel like they could pull off up to wrath then stop we dont need to relive those other horrors
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together