Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Why are stats so big again?

Wasn't there a stat squish right in BFA? I just reached 120 and got some benthic gear and my stats are as high as 1500 stamina on some pieces. What the fuck are they doing? Wouldn't they need another stat squish again right at the beginning of the next expansion? Why are they even doing this?

They squished things to make it so they could pump them back up again... so they'll squish them once more so we can have a noticeable boost between tiers like we're sue to... yes, this doesn't make much sense overall.

Because of the way raid gear scales.

It's not really a thing I think they can ever fix if they want to make the gear from each raid more important than the gear from the previous raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus Rex View Post
    Wasn't there a stat squish right in BFA? I just reached 120 and got some benthic gear and my stats are as high as 1500 stamina on some pieces. What the fuck are they doing? Wouldn't they need another stat squish again right at the beginning of the next expansion? Why are they even doing this?
    It's "natural" inflation. Think of it this way: without the stat squishes, instead of seeing 1500 stamina, you'd be seeing upwards of 1.5 mil stamina. Or even 15 mil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh noes, 1500 stamina how can we ever read such big numbers.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - To make First Raid gear be less powerful than Second Raid gear.
    2 - To make every end-game reward path rewarding - if your endgame is LFR, you get more powerful with it's gear. If it's Mythic raiding, you also get more powerful by gearing.
    3 - To organize the catch-up mechanics in a elegant way.

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    it's just numbers
    Then why squish them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's "natural" inflation.
    No. It's not natural. They are the ones who determine what stats are on the gear. If it was natural then we would have seen the same rise in stats before. Stats didn't go from 30 to 1500 in TBC, or Wrath, or any other expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Oh noes, 1500 stamina how can we ever read such big numbers.
    Not what I have said at all. I want numbers to be big. I want them to stay big. But they grow to a point where they become too big for the system to handle, so they have to squish them. So why squish them only to blow them up in the same expansion again? At least go slow so you don't have to squish them every expansion.

So stop pretending that I have said things that I haven't or leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Because of the way raid gear scales.

It's not really a thing I think they can ever fix if they want to make the gear from each raid more important than the gear from the previous raid.
    I really don't get what you are talking about. This wasn't a problem for the first ten years of WoW.

This isnt an issue, numbers arent that big, the issue is primary stats being trash, but thats a scaling issue so how big/small the numbers are doesnt matter anyways.

Then why squish them?
    That's the question i've been asking. I've yet to get a satisfying answer.

After the Legion system changes, they're no longer necessary for technical reasons as they were post-MoP, so they don't actually serve any real purpose.

I really don't get what you are talking about. This wasn't a problem for the first ten years of WoW.
    You're both right. It happened because of the way they scale gear, and they didn't use to do this.

The gear scaling is absurd, and it's hurting the entire game. They have to scale literally everything at this point. They've scaled PvP and open world and the dungeons of course have M+ which is essentially scaling and raids have 4 difficulties, although if you count the scaling in each of them alongside it, it's 69... It's absurd.

Then why squish them?

- - - Updated - - -

No. It's not natural. They are the ones who determine what stats are on the gear. If it was natural then we would have seen the same rise in stats before. Stats didn't go from 30 to 1500 in TBC, or Wrath, or any other expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Not what I have said at all. I want numbers to be big. I want them to stay big. But they grow to a point where they become too big for the system to handle, so they have to squish them. So why squish them only to blow them up in the same expansion again? At least go slow so you don't have to squish them every expansion.

So stop pretending that I have said things that I haven't or leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes becouse game didnt had 4 difficulty levels on top of titanforing and mythic +. And yes it is problem becouse working with such big numbers just isnt possible. If mob have 30k hp and i hot for 2K hp i can instanly figure out how many mobs will have hp, how many hits i will need, will i survive etc. You really cant do that when mob have 2 521 331 HP and you hit for 211 332k dmg.
    Last edited by Elias01; 2019-09-22 at 05:58 PM.

Any expansion that had multiple raid difficulties has inflated the numbers like that. Started in WotLK and Cata, was made the way it is now in MoP.
    This is not news.

The 15 ilvl per tier is also not new in BfA, Legion was exactly like this, and I believe WoD as well.

For the record, to get rid of your hyperbole:
    The very first Azerite shoulder item you get at level 110 has 282 Stamina (litereally first quest chain that starts BfA). A 445 Azerite Shoulder from Mythic Raids right now has 1601. Still quite a steep increase, but nowhere close to "30 to 1500", and thats with 10 levels and 3 raids of gear progression.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2019-09-22 at 06:03 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did they even squish stats? I thought it was just squishing the end-result numbers (HP, Mana, Damage delt) and iLevels.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Calculate how much the stats raise in percents and compared to previous expansions.

The devs are just in an arms race with themselves. Everything they implements needs to be even more awsome than the stuff they did before, which leads to an endless spiral of inflation of power that neccessitates things like the stat squishes in the first place.

If Blizzard is that desperate to turn WoW into shitty season-gameplay they should at least invest in a better auto-correcting system. I've been saying this for a while now, but with the current pace we head for a stat squish again with the next expansion, it's time they implement a system that categories each tier with a number. After that implement a universal power scale for the duration of each tier and when the patch cycle ticks over you start again from the beginning, but get a mutiplier vs. old content. That way you keep the progression without having to cause all the scaling fuckery that takes them weeks to fix like every time they do an actual squish. I mean what they do is so obvious by now, they might as well embrace their design follies and make the best of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post

After the Legion system changes, they're no longer necessary for technical reasons as they were post-MoP, so they don't actually serve any real purpose.
    From a software dev pov i can tell you that it certainly doesn't look very good, if your game uses numbers like some cheap chinese trash game by throwing around values like 123,481,464 GDMG or 123.481e15 DMG.

For just one day just replace damage with letters. So instead of players do 25k 30k. They're doing TMK,LKG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Any expansion that had multiple raid difficulties has inflated the numbers like that.
    That's just a flat out lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just a flat out lie.
    It's been true since Blizz added multiple difficulties in Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    it's just numbers
    This. Why the fuck does it matter? Why is this even an issue to some? Are there so many like OP that suffers from sever dyscalculia? Because I keep seeing these bs threads pop up.

There should never have been any squish to begin with. Even the first one in WOD was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    This. Why the fuck does it matter? Why is this even an issue to some? Are there so many like OP that suffers from sever dyscalculia? Because I keep seeing these bs threads pop up.

There should never have been any squish to begin with. Even the first one in WOD was terrible.
    I'm sure this is some roundabout way of saying we need to remove LFR and make raiding only for the top 1% again.