Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Agree on the "people don't tamper" but 8700k and 9700k are basically equivalent. 9700k is 3.7GHz stock with turbo at 4.6, 8700k is 3.6 but turbo at 4.7. They will run basically the same (on UserBenchmark the 9700k wins by only an 8% or so) and the only different thing is HT on the 8700k.

Point is, i'm seeing more games running better on HT/AMD CPUs because of it. Since tech is the same, same cache, only a minor difference in speed VS multitasking i would still go with 8700k.

Not that 9700k is bad. As i said, they're equivalent on price and performance and temps are not an issue if you run stock (while i agree 8700k runs hotter by default - though many times it depends on mobo BIOS overvolting it when it's not needed).

Yeah, probably my judgement is skewed by the fact i can tinket with an 8700k an dget out the best of it. I'm kinda angry at the 9700k and 9900k being soldered because the work they did isn't really good and there were clear hotspots that actually hurt performance. Delidding one of them is a pain.

The problem with an 8700k for a new system is the pricing. It sits in between the price of a 3700x and a 9700k, and that's a problem. It needs to be cheaper than a 3700x to make any sense.

An 8700k is basically equivalent to a 9700k for gaming, yes, but the "basically" i.e like a couple of % behind, is enough to make it equivalent to a 3700x for gaming. And a 3700x is faster for everything else, has a more modern chipset platform with better support, and comes with a usable cooler which ofc further highlights the price issue.

If you plan to OC the 8700k to the max then maybe it could be considered, otherwise no.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The problem with an 8700k for a new system is the pricing. It sits in between the price of a 3700x and a 9700k, and that's a problem. It needs to be cheaper than a 3700x to make any sense.

An 8700k is basically equivalent to a 9700k for gaming, yes, but the "basically" i.e like a couple of % behind, is enough to make it equivalent to a 3700x for gaming. And a 3700x is faster for everything else, has a more modern chipset platform with better support, and comes with a usable cooler which ofc further highlights the price issue.

If you plan to OC the 8700k to the max then maybe it could be considered, otherwise no.
    Yeah, i didn't consider the 3700x which would just be a better option for the price/performance ratio.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno if im spending 2k on a new comp in usd i don't know why you would go with 16 gb of ram when it is so cheap. I had 16 gb and it was great but i would consistently hit 13 gb when playing AAA games with some internet tabs on or watching twitch on my other screen. 32 gb has given me tons of head room.

my 2c

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see you've already gotten some good help, so I just wanted to say, thank you to your friend for his service. I am sorry he's had to go overseas. I hope he stays safe.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    I dunno if im spending 2k on a new comp in usd i don't know why you would go with 16 gb of ram when it is so cheap. I had 16 gb and it was great but i would consistently hit 13 gb when playing AAA games with some internet tabs on or watching twitch on my other screen. 32 gb has given me tons of head room.

my 2c
    Because there is no reason to get 32gb.. Programs take up more RAM than they actually use. You even said so yourself, you never got to 16gb, only 13

10+ Year Old Account
    good point go with 16 even though ram is dirt cheap now im sure AAA games and windows junk wont use ram in the next 3-4 years. i like that plan