Poll: How would you like your standing in the future of Retail?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Being the hero makes sense, since you have killed so many giantic threats in the last 15years and you can always play classic if you wanna be the adventurer bobby, who nearly dies to two pigs.
    But generally we are going to new lands where people have never heard of us. Why would give a flying f$%# what you've done if it never effected them. For you interactions with the Alliance, Horde and other major lore characters it makes sense to be hero. You have history with them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    In Classic, you are Larry.
    You are only Larry because you start at the beginning of the book. After a dozen chapters and several books in the series you are no longer an unknown. What you are really asking for is impossible to replicate for retail. We have literally had several expansions where we are "nobodies" to the local population. Pandaria. Draenor. Broken Isles. BfA. We were all Larry barging in trying to fix problems. Even on classic your just start out as an unknown in the starter zone. After that it is all climbing up the ranks.

The problem is not with the story. It is with how you the player perceive the story. The difference between year 1 and year 15.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

So, I'll say this.. Why can't Blizzard just knock off a few stars from the glorious hero. Disgrace him, take away some of his gilded trust by the Horde/Alliance. Larry is the past and cannot offer much more than being a dot on the chart as we drag the heroes down the mud till we are carrying less demands, we are offered less expectations. Venture out, adventurer! We don't have to sit in the dark as a nobody like Larry started out to do, but maybe we should be kicked down the ranks a few - maybe even be pushed back behind the frontlines by the actual hero characters?
    because a rp story advances FORWARD not backwards that is why the answer is NO

What i want is for the factions to end so we can go back to being us. I don't think i want to get back to being no one, i don't think that would make sense. I should still be a someone distunguished, but no longer part of the establishment per se. Freelancer let's say.

Huh... thinking about it, it may be the glorious hero one. I am just sick of the faction stuff. I don't want to be bound by it.

Hmm... you know... kind of what Khadgar has going.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-09-23 at 01:23 AM.

I'm not sure what you mean by "harder and longer in classic vs easier and faster in retail" in this context.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Its a common dilema in Series and Anime if you prefer 1 straight forward story OR several mini stories without correlation.

Im personally a "Cowboy Bebop" kind of guy.
    I like several mini-stories without correlation to eachother. Just random day to day activities like "the Office" american serie.

Oh and ofcourse, i hate being the flawless Knight in shining armor.
    I like a good truggle between good and evil and possibly fighting past demons.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-09-23 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    because a rp story advances FORWARD not backwards that is why the answer is NO
    A story can advance forward even if the 'hero' is demoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Its a common dilema in Series and Anime if you prefer 1 straight forward story OR several mini stories without correlation.

Im personally a "Cowboy Bebop" kind of guy.
    I like several mini-stories without correlation to eachother. Just random day to day activities like "the Office" american serie.

Oh and ofcourse, i hate being the flawless Knight in shining armor.
    I like a good truggle between good and evil and possibly fighting past demons.
    Even Spike hated the flawless people.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

A story can advance forward even if the 'hero' is demoted.
    No, you dont demote Generals cause you dont erase the history we went through in the last decades... if you want a demotion go play classic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    No, you dont demote Generals cause you dont erase the history we went through in the last decades... if you want a demotion go play classic
    You do demote generals if they fuck up. A story can still go forward. The story isn't going forward in Classic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The reason everything is harder and takes longer in Classic Vs. the reason everything is easier and faster in Retail is:
    Everything is harder in Classic? Did they make some changes i haven't heard about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    But generally we are going to new lands where people have never heard of us. Why would give a flying f$%# what you've done if it never effected them. For you interactions with the Alliance, Horde and other major lore characters it makes sense to be hero. You have history with them.
    Of course, but the last time that was the case was in mop and wod to some extend, in mop pandas actually scoffed at us and wanted us to go, didnt care much who we were. Though in wod we literally showed up as the big bad show started, stopped it and saved lots of enslaved orcs/draenai aswell as one of their most important shamans, so it makes sense there that we were on good terms instantly.

The problem with that though is, that to make this happen every expansion we would have to add new places that for some reason no one managed to find so far or they are for some reason unaware what happened in the last like 20 years.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2019-09-23 at 09:14 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Everything is harder in Classic? Did they make some changes i haven't heard about?
    This is not a versus thread. I'm talking world content. You in greys and whites vs. a pack of mobs is more tedious and harder in classic than in retail.

You do demote generals if they fuck up. A story can still go forward. The story isn't going forward in Classic.
    I think the problem is just that wow isn't really one story but an endless repeat of smaller stories. And no matter if you pull the constant power loss trope or if you just keep promoting us to more and more meaningless ranks in the end the metastory will always be boring.

So I really prefer their current strategy where we are the champion of the horde/alliance/you class, but everytime we come to a new place we get treated as an untrustworthy stranger who has to prove his worth by helping the locals before they let you speak to the important guys who know about the important stuff.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    I think the problem is just that wow isn't really one story but an endless repeat of smaller stories. And no matter if you pull the constant power loss trope or if you just keep promoting us to more and more meaningless ranks in the end the metastory will always be boring.

So I really prefer their current strategy where we are the champion of the horde/alliance/you class, but everytime we come to a new place we get treated as an untrustworthy stranger who has to prove his worth by helping the locals before they let you speak to the important guys who know about the important stuff.
    We've not been the champions for a long time, we are the heroes, the frontline figures, been so for a while. I'm not talking about loss of power over and over, I'm talking about us being kicked down the ladder for once - We won't be unknown. As for the 'strange land' theory, we're running low on strange land to bump in to. We're reaching the point where it would have to be rewritten to, "we don't care!" instead of "who are you?".

We never should have been anything other than an Elite Soldier, on the level of a 7th Legion trooper or somebody who accompanied an actual lore character who did the thing in the story, much like was true of our role in the Lich King's death.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't make sense for us to be anything less than a champion given all of the threats we have faced. Elite soldier wouldn't even cover the amount of ability you would need to take on someone like Argus, or to be aided by the Titans themselves. One thing i will say about FFXIV is it (especially the recent expansion) has a fantastic story, and you are literally the savior of the world in that game. Just because some people don't know how to suspend disbelief, doesn't mean we need to be farmers forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course the story is going forward in classic. Every zone. You climb the ranks. It is impossible to be "demoted" because you are "the hero" of the story. You are still important enough to be given X task to Y bad guy. The feeling you want to bring back has nothing to do with ranks. It has everything to do with being at the start of the story.

- - - Updated - - -

We're reaching the point where it would have to be rewritten to, "we don't care!" instead of "who are you?".
    Who are you and We don't care are the same principle. It won't matter if we are knocked down a rank or not. People will still care because we will have to have quests to do things. To fight the bad guys. To raid. To do whatever the goals of the expansion are.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Don't think we can go back, and if we are going back, I'm not going to like it.

Throughout past 15 years, we've ridden the world of Azeroth of some of it's greatest threats. We've dealt with Illidan, Kil'Jaeden, Arthas, Burning Legion, old gods of all kinds and many more. I've been playing the game since the start, and to watch my druid go from Larry to Archdruid was great. After years of killing baddies, you're getting recognition. It just makes sense.

Imagine if a person was killing all the baddest terrorists and criminals for the past 15 years, I'm pretty sure everyone would know their name by now.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i want power and respect.

i want to be the order hall leader i was in legion, not another soldier. not a member of the horde or alliance.
    This. This is what we earned through our years of service.

Second to this I just want to be considered dangerous enough to be received as someone who can get the job done. I am no longer at the beck and call of either side. I am a mercenary. I take the jobs I want... I get paid. I don't need to be a hero or a leader. But I do want to command respect when I enter the area. NPCs could be in awe or jealous or anywhere between but the reputation for doing the impossible... that's what I want acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by Fartoo View Post
    Don't think we can go back, and if we are going back, I'm not going to like it.

Throughout past 15 years, we've ridden the world of Azeroth of some of it's greatest threats. We've dealt with Illidan, Kil'Jaeden, Arthas, Burning Legion, old gods of all kinds and many more. I've been playing the game since the start, and to watch my druid go from Larry to Archdruid was great. After years of killing baddies, you're getting recognition. It just makes sense.

Imagine if a person was killing all the baddest terrorists and criminals for the past 15 years, I'm pretty sure everyone would know their name by now.
    Exactly, it's not just a random group of adventurers lead by Khadgar or Thrall or Tirion
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.