Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Another great thing about Classic -- No cutscenes.

I'm not a fan of cutscenes. As the joke recently reiterated in Borderlands 3 -- "You never die unless its in a cutscene."

The stories in Classic were mostly emergent. Read the scraps of paper and books; talk to NPCs; listen to the dungeon and raid boss emotes. You experienced everything in the context of gameplay.

The Butcher in Diablo was awesome, because he was unexpected. You're grinding away monsters, then you open a door and a room that looks like a murder scene has a unique mob in it...he yells "FRESH MEAT" then charges right at you. This was 100x more effective than any cutscene or exposition in Diablo 3, as they tried to ingrain MMO mechanics into boss fights (including rage timers and boss pull countdowns).

Classic's story was simple, and directly experienced. This is why players feel connected; its THEIR story, not the one the developers are trying to force down your throat.

yes, cutscenes became popular when 12 year olds were allowed to play WoW. Mainly because they're catered towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    I'm not a fan of cutscenes. As the joke recently reiterated in Borderlands 3 -- "You never die unless its in a cutscene."

The stories in Classic were mostly emergent. Read the scraps of paper and books; talk to NPCs; listen to the dungeon and raid boss emotes. You experienced everything in the context of gameplay.

The Butcher in Diablo was awesome, because he was unexpected. You're grinding away monsters, then you open a door and a room that looks like a murder scene has a unique mob in it...he yells "FRESH MEAT" then charges right at you. This was 100x more effective than any cutscene or exposition in Diablo 3, as they tried to ingrain MMO mechanics into boss fights (including rage timers and boss pull countdowns).

Classic's story was simple, and directly experienced. This is why players feel connected; its THEIR story, not the one the developers are trying to force down your throat.

I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the art of the cut-scenes, something is wrong with you. Just the cut-scenes today were beautiful, and mostly well done. The Blizzard animation team is amazing and on par with most other companies that do this for movies. It's that good.

There is nothing good about classic in that regards. It's a simple game, for simple people. End of story. Classic was popular because it was the best mmo on the market at that time. You put FFXIV back during classic, or even ESO, or anything at the same time. And classic never has the appeal it did.

WoW classic is to the MMO market what LoL is the the MOBA market. Easy, and tailored to new players of the genre without a high skill ceiling so even bad players could reach max lvl and play with their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    yes, cutscenes became popular when 12 year olds were allowed to play WoW. Mainly because they're catered towards them.
    yup wc3 was game aimed for 12 year old kids

true story

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    I can see how this same line was used between books and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the art of the cut-scenes, something is wrong with you. Just the cut-scenes today were beautiful, and mostly well done. The Blizzard animation team is amazing and on par with most other companies that do this for movies. It's that good.

There is nothing good about classic in that regards. It's a simple game, for simple people. End of story. Classic was popular because it was the best mmo on the market at that time. You put FFXIV back during classic, or even ESO, or anything at the same time. And classic never has the appeal it did.

WoW classic is to the MMO market what LoL is the the MOBA market. Easy, and tailored to new players of the genre without a high skill ceiling so even bad players could reach max lvl and play with their friends.
    Lol your describing BFA perfectly.

Low skill ceiling, low skill-cap etc..

Classic have high skill cap compared to BFA, in PvP and in general, maybe not mythic raids but anything outside that.

nobody gives a shit about your opinions, keep playing classic nobody forces you to watch cutscenes

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post

Classic have high skill cap compared to BFA, in PvP and in general, maybe not mythic raids but anything outside that.
    You are 100% out of your mind, and wrong on every level.

Go look up enhancement shamans in Classic. They dps with 2 skills. For the ENTIRE RAID FIGHT. Do not talk about high skill ceiling in classic, you're making yourself look silly. Warriors hit 4 buttons. Whichever one is not on CD. THAT IS NOT HARD. Jesus christ you're really reaching.

Have you cleared Mythic Azshara? No. You haven't. And I bet even if you were in a guild capable, you would be benched because you aren't good enough to do proper mechanics and dps at the same time.

I know you're trolling, because no person in their right mind would actually believe the bullshit you typed out. But either way. It is 100% factually incorrect.

In pvp, only on classes that can't oneshot or otherwise kill another with hands tied. (Like mage/warlock vs melee)

In Raids, nope.

In general, oh fuck nope.

The most skill requiring thing outside raids and pvp is being able to count the number of mobs you can pull.

I also don't miss Nathanos, Toki or whoever with their "MEGAMAN MEGAMAN YOU CAN STOMP THESE GUYS.."

Classic's story was simple, and directly experienced.
    And mostly TRASH :-P

yep, mashing those two buttons in on gcd is very high skill ceiling.
    It has higher entry requirement, but all the content you can enter - you can do. In current wow, you can enter everything, but it does not mean you can clear it at all.

I love classic but no, the cinematics and cutscenes are great in my opinion. The story in classic is shit, the lore is what's good. The actual story telling in game though is pretty fucking terrible. The way they tell the story in retail is so much better, but because of how you interact with the game everything, including the story just feels meaningless.

The skill ceiling have almost never been higher than what is in BFA. Unforgiving boss mechanics and DPS/healer checks. Vanilla is a cakewalk compared to what a raider must deal with in retail.

M+. Mythic, Heroic and even normal raids require more of the player in retail, than any vanilla related PVE content requires at all. Nothing in classic is really "harder", it's just that everything takes longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Vanilla had a story?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    Vanilla had a story?
    Yeah, some shit about Onyxia hiding Varian Wrynn and a civil war in Blackrock Mountain between Fire Elementals, Dark Iron Dwarves and Black Dragons. Later, some bugs got uppity in Silithus and Kel'Thuzzad shouted "Yo, remember me!?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    You are 100% out of your mind, and wrong on every level.

Go look up enhancement shamans in Classic. They dps with 2 skills. For the ENTIRE RAID FIGHT. Do not talk about high skill ceiling in classic, you're making yourself look silly.
    I like to remind these doinks who claim "Classic required hardcore skills" that the whole appeal of Vanilla back in the day was it was an EZ-Mode MMORPG designed for casuals compared to other MMORPGs of that year. An easier - tuned down and streamlined experience than Everquest and other MMORPGs of their day - and that's why everybody came to Play WOW and not EQ because it was easier to play!

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Yeah, some shit about Onyxia hiding Varian Wrynn and a civil war in Blackrock Mountain between Fire Elementals, Dark Iron Dwarves and Black Dragons. Later, some bugs got uppity in Silithus and Kel'Thuzzad shouted "Yo, remember me!?"

- - - Updated - - -

I like to remind these doinks who claim "Classic required hardcore skills" that the whole appeal of Vanilla back in the day was it was an EZ-Mode MMORPG designed for casuals compared to other MMORPGs of that year. An easier - tuned down and streamlined experience than Everquest and other MMORPGs of their day - and that's why everybody came to Play WOW and not EQ because it was easier to play!
    Agreed. 100%. I get it.

The fact that MC was made by a single dev in under a week, gives you an idea of just how SIMPLE( another word for easy ) it was. And with some of the first kills in classic coming from folks who weren't even max lvl.

I mean, can you imagine that, a raid zone, being killed by folks who aren't even max lvl. And you think that is HARD?

These kids these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow.. you're really reaching to find things to make classic seem better huh.

Absolutely pathetic.

Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Can't agree with the OP. Cutscenes are cool. The Wrathgate cutscene was amazing. Cutscenes that exist to move the camera around and show you where to go next in dungeons are a little annoying (a la King's Rest) but they're not a big deal.

A lot of cutscenes happen in places where it irritates me that most people skip them, because it means I don't get to watch them either. I'd honestly prefer if the game didn't have a way to bypass them at all.