Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The son matters to me because the federal government does not get to investigate you because you and it are politically opposed.
    Yep.

This is the reason the AG is the top law enforcement officer, not the president. To prevent the president from just opening investigations into all his rivals for dirt.

And also why there are rules on investigations in the DOJ, which is why even Trump's corrupt AG couldn't open an investigation into the Bidens.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oversight subpoena'd the White House for documents related to Ukraine - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/pol...ouse-documents

Let's see how this plays out.
    Given Trump's history of suing his way out of every bad spot he gets into, and that's a LOT, I would guess that he and his legal team (see also DOJ) are going to ignore and delay any request for documents. I hope Pelosi continues with all of the proper investigations and requests/subpoenas for documents, but at the same time doesn't delay the Impeachment process - i.e. continue along regardless of Trump's response, using what the House has already obtained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Given Trump's history of suing his way out of every bad spot he gets into, and that's a LOT, I would guess that he and his legal team (see also DOJ) are going to ignore and delay any request for documents. I hope Pelosi continues with all of the proper investigations and requests/subpoenas for documents, but at the same time doesn't delay the Impeachment process - i.e. continue along regardless of Trump's response, using what the House has already obtained.
    Nancy should tell Trump that if he refuses to comply with the subpoenas that it will be considered obstruction and added to the charges against him
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Nancy should tell Trump that if he refuses to comply with the subpoenas that it will be considered obstruction and added to the charges against him
    Agreed.

At some point they are going to start discussing "thin" or "thick" impeachment. I think there might some ground in the middle. Log each issue that arises from this event - the ignored subpoena's, etc., put it on (what will inevitably be a long) the list and put it up for a vote.

While obviously a hugely complicated political issue, process wise it's pretty easy.

I'm pretty overwhelmed by how fast this is moving - not the process itself, but by how much evidence is coming out every hour, and how fast Trump's response and narrative is changing with it. And largely because he keeps incriminating himself and digging his own hole deeper every damn time he talks. I think he's just gone full firehose mode. If he just does all the bad shit, and spreads that shit around everywhere, he's hoping Republicans will skip the whole "trying to justify X" thing and go straight to "everything he does is fine neener neener cry about it libcucks."

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed.

At some point they are going to start discussing "thin" or "thick" impeachment. I think there might some ground in the middle. Log each issue that arises from this event - the ignored subpoena's, etc., put it on (what will inevitably be a long) the list and put it up for a vote.

While obviously a hugely complicated political issue, process wise it's pretty easy.
    definitely go with thin, any attempt to nab trump on a whole pile of things will result in the right wing laser focusing on the single weakest issue for the democrats and using it as an excuse to just call it ALL a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    definitely go with thin, any attempt to nab trump on a whole pile of things will result in the right wing laser focusing on the single weakest issue for the democrats and using it as an excuse to just call it ALL a wash.
    I'm in favor of them just nailing the bribery component hard and leaving the rest for criminal charges later.

The bribery thing is the one that's explicitly listed in the constitution as an impeachable offense. Nail that and it's over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I'm pretty overwhelmed by how fast this is moving
    This is exactly what @Skroe said would happen years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oversight subpoena'd the White House for documents related to Ukraine - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/pol...ouse-documents

Let's see how this plays out.
    Bet my left nut they refuse and Pelosi adds that to the eventual article of impeachment for Obstruction.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is exactly what @Skroe said would happen years ago.
    Indeed.

The continuing revelations along with the ridiculous lies/excuses seem to be creating a snowball effect. I wonder what we'll see next week.

Is it better to try and fail then to not try at all? Thats the question

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    For Trump? Yeah, he fails quite a lot. We know.

Far better to fail, the evidence demands action unless we're all just throwing law to the wind in favor of politics.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's no longer a question at this point. Trump and his cronies have forced everyone's hand. Pelosi and the House Leadership along with the people of the United States' cannot ignore those patriots coming forward reporting clear violations of the law by Trump.

And, on a separate note, it's pretty obvious that the vote will not only happen, but will pass. I would wager a bet we'll see GOP House members voting in favor of Impeachment by the time the official vote rolls around.

Trump couldn't have fucked this up worse if he'd tried.

My bet is Trump 2020 I dont even think i would get 1.2 on a dollar for that in a betting agency.

My bet is Trump 2020 I dont even think i would get 1.2 on a dollar for that in a betting agency.
    Yeah, at this rate, the only way Trump is going to even make it to the actual election is if they admit they don't care about the law. And at the moment they don't care about the law. And it isn't surprising to me that you are celebrating a fucking traitor to this country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/tru...g-aid-n1062706

I'm sure this has been covered, but just in case, Republican Senator Ron Johnson is actively confirming that Trump withheld aide that was legally obligated to be sent to Ukraine (backed up by a Pentagon report confirming this) in order to get Ukraine to investigate Biden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I'm pretty overwhelmed by how fast this is moving - not the process itself, but by how much evidence is coming out every hour, and how fast Trump's response and narrative is changing with it.
    In an investigation, the clean get cleaner...

and the dirty get dirtier.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

NYT is reporting a second whistleblower on Ukraine, also from the intelligence community.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...r-trump-report

A second intelligence official is considering whether to file a whistleblower complaint and testify before Congress about their concerns over President Trump's dealings with Ukraine, The New York Times reported Friday, citing two people briefed on the matter.

The Times reported that the officer has more direct information about the situation involving Trump than the first whistleblower, whose complaint filed in August helped spark the impeachment inquiry into Trump that House Democrats launched last week.

Intelligence community inspector general Michael Atkinson has reportedly interviewed the person to corroborate the original whistleblower's claims.

Trump has repeatedly blasted the first unidentified whistleblower, questioning their motives and accusing them of being "partisan."

Meanwhile, the acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire told Congress in late September that he believed the whistleblower did the "right thing" by filing their complaint.

The whistleblower filed their complaint over concerns about Trump's call with the president of Ukraine in late July in which Trump pressed the foreign leader to open an investigation into former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading Democratic presidential candidate.

A rough transcript of the call released by the White House last week corroborated several key points in the whistleblower complaint relating to Trump's conversation with the Ukrainian leader.
    This may help sway independents on the edge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/tru...g-aid-n1062706

I'm sure this has been covered, but just in case, Republican Senator Ron Johnson is actively confirming that Trump withheld aide that was legally obligated to be sent to Ukraine (backed up by a Pentagon report confirming this) in order to get Ukraine to investigate Biden.
    And he is still defending him, like a moron. Especially since he was the one of the Republicans that signed the letter that Biden sent to Ukraine to get rid of the prosecutor. https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ging-reform-of