1. #21
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...n-the-election

    "The country's doing the best it's ever done, and I just heard she'd like to impeach," Trump told reporters during a meeting with the Iraqi president at the United Nations, calling the move a "continuation of the witch hunt."
    Trump think that because the country is doing "well", that illegal behavior on his part doesn't matter. Because of course he doesn't.

  2. #22
    Immortal Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    7,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Republicans are too deeply invested in the cult mentality, they won't impeach their own. They have publicly said as much on multiple occasions.
    Fine. Win or lose in 2020. It's the right thing to do. Let the GOP have the scarlet letter of putting party above country. The US will solider on.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  3. #23
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    33,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They must be extremely confident that they have that evidence.
    They might also have other evidence that implicates various Republican senators and congressmen in various scandals linked to Russia and Ukraine. That's a strong maybe there, but if they do, they'll have some Republicans by the balls if they do, which would be glorious.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    But they'll have to approve of what he did, which will be painful to do.

    If he gets away with "nothing done but some ppl bitchin", then he'll go one step further next time.
    You clearly dont know how shameles republicans have become. They dont care, as long as Trump serves their purposes McConnell is going to keep him there.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

    PROUD TERF

  5. #25
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    26,239
    Just a reminder: Pelosi hasn't announced yet.

    1) She's due to meet with other committes and stuff within the hour.

    2) Trump said he'd release the transcripts.

    This isn't a done deal yet.

  6. #26
    Reminds me of the release announcement of starcraft 2. "Hell, it's about time"

  7. #27
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    And thus that is all the next year and election will be about. Forget the economy, forget mass shootings, forget climate change. It's nothing but impeachment from here on out. And ultimately, I don't see any path for it to succeed, definitely not before the election.
    I disagree. If they are smart, they will pin Impeachment on the Ukraine issue. The law Trump broke is clear, precise, and clearly violated. If they wrap the hearings around that issue, they can sew it up nice and tight, vote on it later this year, and be done. Give that hot potato to the Senate, who will NEVER hold hearings, and be done.

    Then Trump can be the Impeached President trying to get reelected. And that would be awesome.

    Moreover, the Dem candidate can focus all of their attention on the election issues - economy (tanking), tariffs, farming, and healthcare - while Pelosi continues to fundraise and at the same time troll Trump for his impeachment.

    Her initial delays at drawing up Articles are going to look brilliant, even if all they were was lucky.

    #TRE45ON

  8. #28
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Republicans are too deeply invested in the cult mentality, they won't impeach their own. They have publicly said as much on multiple occasions.
    Exactly.
    Trump could flat out admit to every single thing he did that broke the law and his supporters would still be down on their knees with their mouths open, while the GOP stands behind him.

    Honestly, the quote from Tyrion about Joffrey in GoT is 120% spot on when used on trump. "it's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on its head".

  9. #29
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    26,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Trump think that because the country is doing "well", that illegal behavior on his part doesn't matter. Because of course he doesn't.
    Trump's views on the country doing the best ever, and that such should make it impossible to impeach him, are already matters of record.

    Of course, there's more.

    By the way, she hasn't even seen the phone call. The phone call was perfect
    Kind of a big thing to say, when it took Pelsoi threatening to impeach him to get him to release the record. If the phone call was perfect, why wasn't it released right away? Why did multiple WH officials, including Trump, move to block its release and the whistleblower's report?

    If [Pelosi] does that, they all say that's a positive for me in the election. You could also say who needs it. It's bad for the country.
    Interesting for Trump to admit something good for his re-election is bad for the country. That's not the ringing endorsement he thinks it is.

  10. #30
    The Lightbringer Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Just a reminder: Pelosi hasn't announced yet.

    1) She's due to meet with other committes and stuff within the hour.

    2) Trump said he'd release the transcripts.

    This isn't a done deal yet.
    This isn't even a proper impeachment yet, just starting an inquiry as to whether Trump has done something that is impeachable.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers


  11. #31
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Fine. Win or lose in 2020. It's the right thing to do. Let the GOP have the scarlet letter of putting party above country. The US will solider on.
    Frankly, and I know I will get roasted for this later, I'd rather do the wrong thing and get Trump out and do the right thing and have this country implode. Trump winning in 2020 would be our country's downfall.

    #TRE45ON

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Just a reminder: Pelosi hasn't announced yet.

    1) She's due to meet with other committes and stuff within the hour.

    2) Trump said he'd release the transcripts.

    This isn't a done deal yet.
    Strangely, the original document was written in black Sharpie!

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Just a reminder: Pelosi hasn't announced yet.

    1) She's due to meet with other committes and stuff within the hour.

    2) Trump said he'd release the transcripts.

    This isn't a done deal yet.
    Trump also said he'd release his taxes. This isn't an impeachment, just an inquiry. All this really changes is Trump can still try to stonewall all these facts and witnesses, stuff goes to court as usual, but now there is urgency so the courts will get fast tracked, but he can't stonewall forever now.

  14. #34
    This is not going to end well for Democrats, Trump or even Biden.

    What you think it's a coincidence that Biden started going down in polls against Warren when this news broke out?

    I used to think it would come down to Trump vs Biden, now I might have to revise that.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  15. #35
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    26,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    This isn't even a proper impeachment yet, just starting an inquiry as to whether Trump has done something that is impeachable.
    Exactly. This is the grand jury, basically.

    As I cited earlier, the first House move against Nixon was 10 months before he resigned. He resigned before the actual votes were held. Even if we hear "Okay let's do this NANCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Pelosah!" we're going to be whelp-deep into the election before there's an actual yes/no thing.

    During which time, Republicans are free to look at the other things Trump has done, and ask themselves "What do I really owe this person?" If Trump committed a textbook violation, they could decide their loyalty to Trump runs as deep as Trump's loyalty to them. God help Trump if that happens.

    Or...you know, they could just all decide to spend time with their families.

  16. #36
    During which time, Republicans are free to look at the other things Trump has done, and ask themselves "What do I really owe this person?" If Trump committed a textbook violation, they could decide their loyalty to Trump runs as deep as Trump's loyalty to them. God help Trump if that happens.
    Or they might decide that Ginsburg's seat is more important to them then Trump.

    I also really think you SEVERELY misunderstand Trump supporters: They don't give a shit if Trump is loyal to them, as long as he's a wrecking ball against the Washington crowd they'll support him.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    This is not going to end well for Democrats, Trump or even Biden.

    What you think it's a coincidence that Biden started going down in polls against Warren when this news broke out?

    I used to think it would come down to Trump vs Biden, now I might have to revise that.
    THE best thing that can happen to the Dems is that Biden is out.

    Literally any other serious Dem challenger will eat Trump's lunch and shit on his head in the election.
    M.A.A.A. Make America Adult Again

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Giving Cops Tummy Aches
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Republicans are too deeply invested in the cult mentality, they won't impeach their own. They have publicly said as much on multiple occasions.
    Careful, truthfully calling out the GOP ideaology for what it is, is the height of "uncivility" these days.

    Uncivility gets people infracted and banned.

    Also pointing out that cults rely mostly on Gaslighting and Emotional Abuse to keep people inline, is uncivil as well.
    Welcome to GEN-OT, have a seat, we'll introduce you to the 23-year-old who will lecture you about how Democrats didn't try hard enough to improve the ACA, and once that's all set up you'll be assigned a socialist who supported Ron Paul up to 2015 to harass you forever.
    "Once bigotry or self-loathing permeate a given community, it is only a matter of time before deep metaphysical significance is assigned to the shape of human skulls."
    -Lady Foppington

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    THE best thing that can happen to the Dems is that Biden is out.

    Literally any other serious Dem challenger will eat Trump's lunch and shit on his head in the election.
    I do not support Biden as the candidate for the Dems, but do you sincerely believe anyone else can beat Trump in WA, MI, PA?
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  20. #40
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,706
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    If this falls flat on its face like the other "scandals", they are essentially re-electing him for a second term. Let's hope there is actual verifiable evidence here.
    We already have verifiable evidence. The law was broken. There is no doubt. DNI should have reported to Congress re Whistleblower. Period. My six year old daughter could work that analysis out.

    #TRE45ON

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •