Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I am 100% on board with the Republican party just dying off. Then we can have the Democrat party split between center-right and center-left and maybe US politics will stop being so insane.
    I mean, ok. Sure. Noted. Any thoughts on the essay I posted?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an official whitehouse.gov link to a letter Trump claims he wrote, in which

a) he says he is being deprived of his Constitutional rights, such as bringing witnesses
    b) he calls the charge of obstruction is preposterous, despite it being leveled because Trump told witnesses not to comply with subpoenas, yes, read those last two lines again, that's an official statement from the WH y'all
    c) he says the whole process is illegal
    d) he says the Salem Witch Trial people got more due process
    e) yes, he mentions Biden
    f) on the very first page he calls Pelosi a liar for saying "I pray for the President".

It's pages and pages of this stuff, which is now an official record, of someone caught committing a crime complaining about being caught committing a crime and demanding the investigation into his crimes end because that's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So...

Is he volunteering to be thrown into a lake tied to a boulder to see if he sinks or floats? Because that's the kind of due process that those women received.

This is an official whitehouse.gov link to a letter Trump claims he wrote, in which

a) he says he is being deprived of his Constitutional rights, such as bringing witnesses
    b) he calls the charge of obstruction is preposterous, despite it being leveled because Trump told witnesses not to comply with subpoenas, yes, read those last two lines again, that's an official statement from the WH y'all
    f) on the very first page he calls Pelosi a liar for saying "I pray for the President".

It's pages and pages of this stuff, which is now an official record, of someone caught committing a crime complaining about being caught committing a crime and demanding the investigation into his crimes end because that's illegal.
    So, Trump wants the "due process" afforded to people in the Salem Witch Trials? I'm pretty sure that consists of having rocks put on top of him until he confesses or dies. I'm going to assume he's just historically ignorant.

And yeah, everyone wants witnesses from Trump's admin, but he's the one blocking those witnesses from testifying.

10+ Year Old Account

Did he mention the number of electoral votes?

yes!
    BINGO!

-and the space force, c'mon man by bingo card is full already, you can stop
    /s

Good Christ, that should come with a second-hand embarrassment warning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hastings is a cool dude.

hmmf...Giuliani boasts details of engineering Ukrainian ambassador's ouster...then has "What I meant was" moment

"I believed that I needed Yovanovitch out of the way," Giuliani told The New Yorker in a report published Monday afternoon, adding, "She was going to make the investigations difficult for everybody."

"I think my information" played a role in her ouster, Giuliani told The Times. "I don't know. You'd have to ask them. But they relied on it," he said of Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

---------------

What a coward.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    hmmf...Giuliani boasts details of engineering Ukrainian ambassador's ouster...then has "What I meant was" moment

"I believed that I needed Yovanovitch out of the way," Giuliani told The New Yorker in a report published Monday afternoon, adding, "She was going to make the investigations difficult for everybody."

"I think my information" played a role in her ouster, Giuliani told The Times. "I don't know. You'd have to ask them. But they relied on it," he said of Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

---------------

What a coward.
    Starting to think he secretly hates trump.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Once or twice, that wild hope had briefly crossed my heart as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So...

Is he volunteering to be thrown into a lake tied to a boulder to see if he sinks or floats? Because that's the kind of due process that those women received.
    Shit floats and seeing how full of shit Trump is I don't think the boulder would have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Shit floats and seeing how full of shit Trump is I don't think the boulder would have a chance.
    Well...if he floats with the boulder then he's a witch! If he sinks and drowns then we for sure know he's not a witch!...but is dead anyways. This is the due process those women were granted, so if he wants to play by those rules he's more than welcome to!

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    They ALL hate Trump. They just find him a useful tool to enrich themselves. Look at how many of them basically called him a fucking idiot during the GOP primaries during the last election and are now all lining up to lick his boots. If they didn't need his base to keep themselves in power they would have kicked him to the curb years ago, guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    They should make a new party.
    The US needs far more parties represented in congress. Here we have 4 different parties that span the very different views in the democratic party (From warren/Bernie level to Biden) and even more to represent the right wing view. Politics in the US is an absolute joke.

LOL does not get better than this

Trump sends six-page letter to Nancy Pelosi on eve of impeachment vote accusing her of 'Trump derangement syndrome' and claiming Salem Witch trials had 'more due process'

Mitch McConnell flatly rejects Chuck Schumer's demand for witnesses at Donald Trump's impeachment trial....

I mean lets just ignore that an impeachment is not a trial and trump and co was either invited or ordered to appear.....

I just love the deranged president we have.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

https://www.kyivpost.com/article/opi...-hearings.html

Sergii Leschenko has some thoughts about what Republicans have said about him so far.

Unsurprisingly, he disagrees with the Republicans claims of what he did and rejects their assertions. He wasn't Steele's source, and while he did share some of the "black ledger" information, the 22 pages he shared included no mentions or references to Manafort.

In conclusion, I can add that I have been openly critical of Manafort since the time he worked as a political mentor to Yanukovych. And, of course, the fact of Manafort’s involvement in Trump’s presidential campaign, along with the change of the Republican Party’s attitudes toward Ukraine on the eve of the American elections in 2016, could not but cause a critical reaction from Ukrainians.

Many Ukrainian politicians and journalists have spoken out against Trump on social media. However, such criticism has always been made openly and published on personal accounts. It is a manifestation of freedom of speech, a key value of a democratic society — and one that America has been promoting for centuries.

And such criticism has nothing to do with the whole set of measures taken by Russia to undermine American democracy in 2016, which were established by the U.S. investigation. Now it appears that Russia, using some U.S. politicians as well as its agents of influence in Ukraine, is trying to shift the responsibility for interfering in the 2016 elections to my country.

Russia, which has been waging war against Ukraine for five years, is the main beneficiary of this conspiracy theory. This conspiracy undermines U.S. bipartisan support for Ukraine and undermines the foundations of American democracy.

Therefore, I call on U.S. politicians to operate exclusively with facts and reliable quotes to establish truth in the events of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The US needs far more parties represented in congress. Here we have 4 different parties that span the very different views in the democratic party (From warren/Bernie level to Biden) and even more to represent the right wing view. Politics in the US is an absolute joke.
    Denmark is also approximately the size of Massachusetts by most metrics. The comparison you're making is a flawed one because there is considerable variability in the two major parties (and also legislative representation of 3rd parties) at the State level, which is more in keeping with a relative comparison to European countries. The Massachusetts Republican Party is (historically) quite different from the Alabama one. And Minnesota Democrats different from Florida Democrats.

What you see at the Federal level is a largely a distillation of a average.

And frankly, no matter what system of government you have, the type of representation, the parties and the rules, it fundamentally comes down who is in it. The biggest political shitshow in the Western World of the past five years has not been the US Government, but rather the British Parliament, which until Boris Johnson's victory, was basically ungovernable. The reputation of Westminster over the Brexit debacle and how we got from where we were in 2016 to where we are today, will take years to recover. Is it an indictment of parliamentary democracy though? Not at all. It just so happens the UK has been unfortunately cursed with politicians who were not up to the task of Brexit.

Similarly, there have been times the agility and decisiveness of the US model has proven to be a major advantage in comparison our friends and allies (the US response to the financial crisis illustrated that). That governments rise and fell over the past decade so much that the continent has seen hard swings between left and right, and finally by process of elimination hard left and hard right underscores a crucial risk to stability that we do not have. Unfortunately now we see the other side of that - our government cannot fall despite the President being accused of extraordinarily serious crimes and constitutional violations, when in another system it would have happened ages ago. And his Party rallying to his defense because of the manner of elections. But we, right now, have politicians far less up to the task of governing than we did a decade ago.

In short, its about people, and right now, in the US and UK, among the worst of our country are going into elected politics, not the best. I hope Denmark is different. For us, and for the UK, it won't meaningfully turn around until men and women of character and principle step forward and beat the grifters in elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Mitch McConnell flatly rejects Chuck Schumer's demand for witnesses at Donald Trump's impeachment trial....
    Of course he did. McConnell has no interest in facts, he's already made up his mind.

But shouldn't Roberts be the one approving/denying witnesses since he's playing judge?

Also, does anyone believe Trump wrote that letter to Pelosi? Or like...any of it? Because it has complete sentences. Largely proper syntax, grammar and spelling. Multiple paragraphs. Semi-coherent lines of thought (and improvement over usual).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also, does anyone believe Trump wrote that letter to Pelosi? Or like...any of it? Because it has complete sentences. Largely proper syntax, grammar and spelling. Multiple paragraphs. Semi-coherent lines of thought (and improvement over usual).
    I think he dictated it to an auto-correct speech-to-text device, because all the idiocy in it are pure Trumpian nonsense.