Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He wants to sell books. Testifying to a house committee won't help him do that as it won't have the viewership the trial will. And he won't get treated with baby gloves like he will in the Senate. It's clear he has no interest in actually damaging Trump in any way as Trump is now doing what Bolton urged him to do for his entire tenure, starting shit with Iran for real.
    He's definitely an unknown quantity at this point, but quibbling over House committee viewership is silly--his testimony, regardless of what it is, will be plastered everywhere and re-played constantly. He wants the cover of a subpoena because he wants to testify.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    He's definitely an unknown quantity at this point, but quibbling over House committee viewership is silly--his testimony, regardless of what it is, will be plastered everywhere and re-played constantly. He wants the cover of a subpoena because he wants to testify.
    I actually think he is a known quantity because aside from selling books he knows he cannot upset his audience which are mostly Trump supporters. If Bolton turns on Trump no more Fox News gig or conservative spotlight since he knows Trump won't be removed he will be wishy washy while strongly denying his approval or involvement in the drug deal. He volunteered to testify because he knows the odds are slim to none it will happen, Moscow Mitch is going to bury this thing as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I actually think he is a known quantity because aside from selling books he knows he cannot upset his audience which are mostly Trump supporters. If Bolton turns on Trump no more Fox News gig or conservative spotlight since he knows Trump won't be removed he will be wishy washy while strongly denying his approval or involvement in the drug deal. He volunteered to testify because he knows the odds are slim to none it will happen, Moscow Mitch is going to bury this thing as fast as possible.
    I think it's unclear, partly because of how and why they parted ways, but also because there's already a lot of testimony on the record, including Fiona Hill's. I think it's smart for Schiff to wait, to leave full pressure on Republicans, and also because no one has any idea what he'll say.

I think it's unclear, partly because of how and why they parted ways, but also because there's already a lot of testimony on the record, including Fiona Hill's. I think it's smart for Schiff to wait, to leave full pressure on Republicans, and also because no one has any idea what he'll say.
    Bolton has millions on the line when all else fails bet on money there's no way he is going to piss that much money away for a vendetta against Trump. Bolton needs Trump's base especially their money so pleasing the suckers is number one, I think democrats are betting on the wrong horse.

Bolton has millions on the line when all else fails bet on money there's no way he is going to piss that much money away for a vendetta against Trump. Bolton needs Trump's base especially their money so pleasing the suckers is number one, I think democrats are betting on the wrong horse.
    To be clear, I do think he's a wild card, but again if he really wanted to help Trump he wouldn't have volunteered at all, and he's going to make millions either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's "lo and behold". "Lo" is an archaic interjection.

Republicans made impeachment a partisan issue in the 90s, and so now they can claim every impeachment is partisan regardless of how justified it is. "Hey look we Republicans are voting as a bloc against it - must be partisan!". Acting in bad faith as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go with the false equivalences again.

Both sides may be bad, but they are not equally bad, and you can't use one side being a little bit bad as some kind of weird get-out-of-jail-free card for the other side being immensely bad. It's a stupid argument. The Republicans are clearly in the wrong here, Trump should be impeached, and we can talk about whether the Democrats are big ol' meany-pantses when that's fucking relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone who doesn't see Trump's guilt at this point is either a partisan hack or extremely ignorant. It couldn't be plainer.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's agree on this - impeachment is now dead as a check on executive power. No future President will fear impeachment when partisan dishonesty has gotten to a point that people will vote down party lines even for a criminal as transparently obvious and unfit for office as Trump. Tribalistic party loyalty has completely subsumed what's good for the country. In fact this will openly encourage more outright criminal activity in future administrations. This is the end point of the road Nixon started the Republican Party on.

So the US political system is fundamentally broken and cannot be fixed short of a constitutional Amendment.

- - - Updated - - -

"Bury" has one "r".

The problem of course is that if one side is behaving in a purely disingenuous partisan manner it can then claim both sides are.

The Republicans have known for generations that they are unpopular purely on the merits of their policies, so they've been spending all of their time trying to distract everyone from any of their policy positions. They can't win in a fair fight, so they rig the game.

For both sides being bad. I think that they kinda are. Then again I think just having two parties is not a healthy thing. Honestly, you could make an argument that the majority of both parties are kinda the same.

Funny thing is I never said that Trump wasn't guilty or was guilty in this whole thread. I said the impeachment was a waste of time because it wouldn't go anywhere.
    Has Pelosi even released the articles of impeachment to the Senate yet? Why not? There are tons of cases that never go to trial either because either they won't get a verdict. That's my argument. This is a case that when going to trial will end up being a waste of time. Even though they may be wrong I don't think you'll get enough Republicans to vote to remove him.

To be clear, I do think he's a wild card, but again if he really wanted to help Trump he wouldn't have volunteered at all, and he's going to make millions either way.
    Nah he volunteered when he knew he would be safe Moscow Mitch was making it pretty clear there will be no witnesses he needs to keep his name in the headlines for now at least.

Nah he volunteered when he knew he would be safe Moscow Mitch was making it pretty clear there will be no witnesses he needs to keep his name in the headlines for now at least.
    Welp, we'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    REALLY wish he hadn't retired.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

Still waiting on those transcripts.

Still an impeached President.
    Please stop providing a link to his tweets. He loves clicks, stop helping him get more.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    For both sides being bad. I think that they kinda are
    5 years ago I would agree.
    But now isn't the time for that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    5 years ago I would agree.
    But now isn't the time for that argument.
    Why not? There is an election coming up in Nov.

Not so sure on that one. Trumps base is a vocal minority but are still in the minority. If this book trashes him and he comes out trashing him, there is a good chance it might actually get him more sales than it costs him. And it might be a way for him to try and revise his position so it isn't so hated among the rest of the America and the world for sucking up to Trump so hard.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. Precisely who is going to read Bolton's book if he turns on Trump. Plus, the Cheeto Administration attacked Iran, and Bolton has got to be beside himself with jealousy. I wonder if he's looking for a way back in....

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Not so sure on that one. Trumps base is a vocal minority but are still in the minority. If this book trashes him and he comes out trashing him, there is a good chance it might actually get him more sales than it costs him. And it might be a way for him to try and revise his position so it isn't so hated among the rest of the America and the world for sucking up to Trump so hard.
    But that would be playing the short game turning on Trump means no speaking gigs for conservative organization or Fox News deal maybe he will get a CNN job but that doesn't pay as much. He isn't financially incentivized to turn on Trump and at the end of the day that is a huge part of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. Precisely who is going to read Bolton's book if he turns on Trump. Plus, the Cheeto Administration attacked Iran, and Bolton has got to be beside himself with jealousy. I wonder if he's looking for a way back in....
    yeah I just don't see a path for him turning against Trump.

But that would be playing the short game turning on Trump means no speaking gigs for conservative organization or Fox News deal maybe he will get a CNN job but that doesn't pay as much. He isn't financially incentivized to turn on Trump and at the end of the day that is a huge part of it.
    Depends, if he is going for a speaking gig on Fox hoping to be a future commentator, then you have a point. If he is actually planning on retiring after this and go out with a bang and have anything good attached to his name, then he would come out against him and go down as one of the nails in his coffin and use it for boosted sales of his book.

The man doesn't like Trump from what I can tell anyways. So if he wants to retire and go out on a high note, he would come out and be honest about Trump. If he is hoping to move onto a job on the Fox staff, then he would continue to protect Trump.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I just don't see a path for him turning against Trump.
    Agreed. And thinking about it further, it doesn't make any sense for him to testify at all against Trump. Unless Bolton has found some altruistic reason for living, this might be some kind of Trojan horse.

Agreed. And thinking about it further, it doesn't make any sense for him to testify at all against Trump. Unless Bolton has found some altruistic reason for living, this might be some kind of Trojan horse.
    Could be a trojan horse, but could also be a way for him to try and go out in a way that helps his public image and tries to get him more book sales afterward.

From what I know Bolton is a major warmonger, so he would want this war, but at the same time, does he protect Trump because he got it or does he fear Trump will screw it up enough to try and replace him.

This guy is a MAJOR wild card on this one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could be a trojan horse, but could also be a way for him to try and go out in a way that helps his public image and tries to get him more book sales afterward.

From what I know Bolton is a major warmonger, so he would want this war, but at the same time, does he protect Trump because he got it or does he fear Trump will screw it up enough to try and replace him.

This guy is a MAJOR wild card on this one.
    Good point. And it could be he's so pissed at being pushed out of being on the inside of the attack on Iran that he's going to tell all. Along with pushing book sales, which is fine with me.

Definitely a major wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

Still waiting on those transcripts.

Still an impeached President.
    Is it just me, or does the argument that it's partisan because no Republicans voted against party lines although some Democrats did kinda only mean that Republicans were the ones making it partisan?

Depends, if he is going for a speaking gig on Fox hoping to be a future commentator, then you have a point. If he is actually planning on retiring after this and go out with a bang and have anything good attached to his name, then he would come out against him and go down as one of the nails in his coffin and use it for boosted sales of his book.

The man doesn't like Trump from what I can tell anyways. So if he wants to retire and go out on a high note, he would come out and be honest about Trump. If he is hoping to move onto a job on the Fox staff, then he would continue to protect Trump.
    The way he is milking and teasing this doesn't lend to the feeling that he just wants to retire, Bolton likes being relevant his ego won't let him turn do something that would make him irrelevant in conservative circles. Let's be honest the left is never going to give him the kind of voice and celebrity he wants and if I am not mistaken after he left he went to his foundation.

Bolton plans to be a king maker and a best seller he won't kill the golden goose.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. And it could be he's so pissed at being pushed out of being on the inside of the attack on Iran that he's going to tell all. Along with pushing book sales, which is fine with me.

Definitely a major wild card.
    I just don't see it the money he would lose by turning on Trump not to mention his celebrity status in conservative circles wouldn't be worth it.