Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the Romney vote is important just to quell the idea of the "partisan" impeachment. Romney was the GOP Presidential candidate before Trump, it'll be hard to reasonably argue he's a Democratic hack.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/lou-do...r-radical-dems

I mean...conservative media have been going after John fucking Bolton as a "liberal hack for radical dems" and more. Why on earth wouldn't they do the same with Mitt Romney?

Remember, they've also gone after John fucking McCain as well before his death. There is no bottom, and being a former candidate does nothing to protect them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Mitt Romney has more courage and conviction in his little finger than the entirety of the rest of the Trumpublican Senate and the Trumphadis Cult.

His speech before the Senate today is one for the ages.

In the end, he is the better man. Than Trump. Than his fellow senators. Than every member of the cult combined.

He honors the founders and the constitution.
    Agreed.

If the GOP implodes after a 2020 bloodletting loss, and the Dems take not only the White House but the Senate, I could see him emerging as a Senate leader, possibly replacing McConnell if it gets really bad. That would put him in a spot to run in 2024, if he wants to.

Doubtful, of course, but something to consider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This is actually a rather "Yuge" win for us. But the end of this, with Collins and Murkowski not voting to convict, I assumed McConnell had wrangled everyone over with their usual threats. Having Romeny - hell, ANY gop Senator voting to convict makes it a bipartisian effort. So we get the same ground Team Deplorable did when a few Dems voted against impeachment.

While it won't affect anything, we always knew he would walk, so this adds up to a better result overall.
    Not sure why McConnell would care if they voted to convict since a majority vote isn't enough to remove. Needs to be 67 to remove.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the Romney vote is important just to quell the idea of the "partisan" impeachment. Romney was the GOP Presidential candidate before Trump, it'll be hard to reasonably argue he's a Democratic hack.
    You make the mistake of thinking trumpers have any reasonable arguments friendo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mitt Romney has more courage and conviction in his little finger than the entirety of the rest of the Trumpublican Senate and the Trumphadis Cult.

In the end, he is the better man. Than Trump. Than his fellow senators. Than every member of the cult combined.

Mitt Romney is an opportunist who has just enough political sense to understand where the wind will be blowing later on.

Don't delude yourself and think he's doing this for the good of the country, if he thought the GOP and Trump were the best bet he'd vote to acquit in a heartbeat.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I mean...conservative media have been going after John fucking Bolton as a "liberal hack for radical dems" and more. Why on earth wouldn't they do the same with Mitt Romney?

Remember, they've also gone after John fucking McCain as well before his death. There is no bottom, and being a former candidate does nothing to protect them.
    Donnie Dumb Dumb Jr is actually berating him as a President wanna-be. There is no one they won't lie about at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Not sure why McConnell would care if they voted to convict since a majority vote isn't enough to remove. Needs to be 67 to remove.
    gotta tow the trump line or bare the wrath of the GOP and Trump come election day. mcconnell can't have that if he wants to retain any reasonable amount of numbers.

The votes are going out now on Abuse of Power.

Guilty: 48

Not guilty (AKA ignoring evidence, witnesses, confessions, and actually siding that the president can commit extortion and solicit foreign election interference for personal gain as Trumps own defense has said: 52
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

According to Republican logic, the fact that this was a bipartisan "guilty" vote but a strictly partisan "not guilty" vote means Democrats are in the right.

Guess it's official now. The president can do whatever the fuck he wants as long as his party controls the senate. So much for the vaunted constitutional checks and balances.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I know, but there are independents with whom I don't think that'll fly. Independents who voted for Romney.

Whenever I make an argument, it should be assumed that it's not aimed at changing Trump voters minds. I'm always talking about these mythical independents who switch who they vote for.

As an aside: does anyone know anyone who voted for Clinton, then Bush, then Obama, then Trump or something like this? I don't think I've ever known a true "independent" in terms of voting on both sides of the aisle. They seem to have a default "side" and once every 20 years might consider something else. Like Dems who voted for McCain, and Republicans who voted for HRC over Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Guess it's official now. The president can do whatever the fuck he wants as long as his party controls the senate. So much for the vaunted constitutional checks and balances.
    False.

The 2/3rds vote requirement is in place so that senators don't vote out a president just because he's from the party they don't like.

If Trump was proven to have committed an impeachment-worthy offense, there wouldn't be a problem getting 2/3rds vote

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    False.

The 2/3rds vote requirement is in place so that senators don't vote out a president just because he's from the party they don't like.

If Trump was proven to have committed an impeachment-worthy offense, there wouldn't be a problem getting 2/3rds vote
    This is not logical.

You're suggesting partisan pushes against a president exist, but partisan defenses of a president don't exist.

Except he did. There was a completely partisan defense of Trump that blocked fucking witnesses from even being presented in the trial.

Anyone who thought this would go any other way was fooling themselves.

False.

Um..

US Citizens are sentenced to life and prison and the death penalty on a lower burden of proof than the current evidence, witness testimony and personal confessions meet.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Except he did.
    only in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Anyone who thought this would go any other way was fooling themselves.
    I don't think a single person here thought he'd be convicted. That doesn't mean the way it went is the right thing.

He's been anti Trump since Trump started running, you think this took courage? I guess you haven't been paying attention the last 4 years

False.

Yea let's just ignore all the "Yea he did it don't care!' from such people like Rubio, Thune, and Lamar