10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    They should start throwing people in jail for contempt of congress. Why would anyone comply if they know they wont be held accountable? Maybe people would take the subpoenas more seriously if they knew there was an actual consequence for their actions (or inaction).
    They have two choices;

1> Throw people in jail until they comply with congressional subpoenas, or
    2> Stop claiming that Congress has subpoena power, because any power you won't enforce doesn't functionally exist; if Congress demands you give them something, say "fuck you" and ignore them, because they can't do shit.

The Republicans are playing legislative chicken, expecting that the Democrats won't actually enforce the law. But that's pushing it to the point where either they act and jail offenders for this, or Congress permanently loses the power of subpoena moving forward. As bad as the former may be, pretty much everyone would agree the latter is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They would have to make a jail for that purpose as the DoJ refuses to enforce their subpoenas.
    The DOJ isn't the sole source. They can turn to any law enforcement agency, theoretically. The obvious one would be Washington D.C.'s police force. The District is technically under Congress' purview, so it's not even a stretch; the Washington D.C. police are more properly the enforcement arm of Congress in this than the FBI would be, really.

And D.C. already has jails, so that's covered.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-10-19 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Nah, we're just fed up with Democrats trying to get another 2016 re-do.
    Again, this whole new scandal started when Trump tried to pressure the Ukraine to back up his conspiracy theory about how Russia wasn't responsible for the DNC hack in 2016. Project more lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They have two choices;

1> Throw people in jail until they comply with congressional subpoenas, or
    2> Stop claiming that Congress has subpoena power, because any power you won't enforce doesn't functionally exist; if Congress demands you give them something, say "fuck you" and ignore them, because they can't do shit.

The Republicans are playing legislative chicken, expecting that the Democrats won't actually enforce the law. But that's pushing it to the point where either they act and jail offenders for this, or Congress permanently loses the power of subpoena moving forward. As bad as the former may be, pretty much everyone would agree the latter is worse.
    I've been trying to work out if it's political cowardice on the Democrats' part, or if they literally can't enforce Congressional subpoenas because that's literally how pathetic the US government's oversight powers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DOJ isn't the sole source. They can turn to any law enforcement agency, theoretically. The obvious one would be Washington D.C.'s police force. The District is technically under Congress' purview, so it's not even a stretch; the Washington D.C. police are more properly the enforcement arm of Congress in this than the FBI would be, really.

And D.C. already has jails, so that's covered.
    Actually, the force to turn to would be the Capitol Police, which is distinct from the DC Metropolitan Police.

The Capitol Police take their marching orders directly from Congress with the executive branch getting no say whatsoever. They're basically Congress' Secret Service.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You didn't correct anything lmfao. You linked something that contradicted your own claim.....
    They really can't get good help these days, I guess the bottom fell out of the turnip market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Actually, the force to turn to would be the Capitol Police, which is distinct from the DC Metropolitan Police.

The Capitol Police take their marching orders directly from Congress with the executive branch getting no say whatsoever. They're basically Congress' Secret Service.
    Sure, I wasn't making an argument on which specific force it would be (I never said "DC Metropolitan Police"), just that A> Congress has exclusive jurisdiction over D.C., B> D.C. has police forces and jails, and thus C> the DOJ can sit and spin, they don't matter in this equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/stat...231751168?s=19

We are eventually going to have a story about Giuliani offering the state of North Dakota for dirt on Biden.
    honestly that wouldn't be so bad, do we NEED 2 dakotas?

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Ah, Trump voters. They never fail to disappoint.

Trump's reelection campaign is now selling "Get over it" T-Shirts. So that is a thing. Trump's chief of staff admits to federal crimes on behalf of the President, but tells people just to get over it, then said President's campaign prints the quote on a T-Shirt and sells it to his supporters.

The "Law and Order" candidate everyone!
    I may buy one of those, and post a photo of it each time any trumpette post anything about Obama/Hillary

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    honestly that wouldn't be so bad, do we NEED 2 dakotas?
    Speaking of that... You really need 2 virginias, or 2 carolinas?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I may buy one of those, and post a photo of it each time any trumpette post anything about Obama/Hillary
    Nah, don't give them the money, they sell us out enough.

Just get a photo of it online and post that.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of that... You really need 2 virginias, or 2 carolinas?
    No one in Virginia wants West Virginia back.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    No one in Virginia wants West Virginia back.
    Understood.
    Btw, here we're having a yuge protest, so, in a worst case scenario, you'll start to see news about a civil conflict here in Chile (it's a worst of the worst case scenario and 99,99999% probability of not happening, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    I don't get why people keep bringing her up as some kind of defense for Trump. Trump does something illegal, "BUH BUH WHAT ABOUT CLINTON!"
    You are the one who brought her up as some kind of indictment on Trump; and that works opposite to your obvious intent if you look more closely at what actually happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Understood.
    Btw, here we're having a yuge protest, so, in a worst case scenario, you'll start to see news about a civil conflict here in Chile (it's a worst of the worst case scenario and 99,99999% probability of not happening, but still).
    Just saw the news on Twitter. By that I mean what looks to be a stairwell on fire. Stay safe.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You didn't correct anything lmfao. You linked something that contradicted your own claim.....
    It didn't contradict it. It flatly said Trump was right in first sentence you quoted.

It simply compressed details on why exactly Trump was right, so i expanded on that when you questioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Just saw the news on Twitter. By that I mean what looks to be a stairwell on fire. Stay safe.
    19 subway stations were burned, and the government called out the military (so you know, like after the coup of 1973). No worries about me, luckily, i'm about 700 miles away from that shitshow ATM.

Oh, and a cop just shot a student. In the head. At least the kiddo is still alive.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2019-10-19 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    oh look shalacker, making shit up again, what a surprise
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...eted-33000-em/
    Did you read it?

Even politifact says "Half-True", not false.

Clinton and her campaign don’t dispute that she deleted these 33,000 emails. They argue that these were personal in nature, rather than work-related, and therefore were not necessary to turn over.

However, they have denied that they deleted the emails after receiving a congressional subpoena from the House Select Committee on Benghazi on March 4, 2015. But an August 2016 FBI report on its investigation shows that Trump’s claim has some merit.

Trump’s timeline is correct. The congressional subpoena came on March 4, 2015, and an employee deleted the emails sometime after March 25, 2015, three weeks later.

They only argue "You cannot prove it was her doing!"

...right, her lawyers talked with technician for weeks after subpoena - even on a day of deletion itself, but you cannot prove it had any impact on his decision to delete subpoenaed emails and backups /s
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2019-10-19 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    I really don't understand why people keep defending her.

She lost, bury her political corpse and forget her.
    I don't get why people like you keep bringing her up, She lost get over it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I don't get why people like you keep bringing her up, She lost get over it.
    Dude, put that turnip earner on ignore. No reason to ever engage with him.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-10-19 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I've been trying to work out if it's political cowardice on the Democrats' part, or if they literally can't enforce Congressional subpoenas because that's literally how pathetic the US government's oversight powers are.
    Or option three, they already have what they need from other sources and are just using these defiances to show how unjust people in this administration are.

Not any better than what your reasons are to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Again, this whole new scandal started when Trump tried to pressure the Ukraine to back up his conspiracy theory about how Russia wasn't responsible for the DNC hack in 2016. Project more lol.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess has been they're concerned about public opinion / sympathy swinging to Republicans over the optics of seeing them in cuffs / jail. So, option a) cowardice, based on a helping of b) pathetically weak, since we've mostly just been naively relying on people's sense of...duty, obligation, shame, adherence to norms, right and wrong? to honor lawfully-issued subpoenas, and the DoJ has been thoroughly captured.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Dude, put that turnip earner on ignore. No reason to ever engage with him.
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-10-19 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD