10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But what if the ruling majority never refused to vote for a budget, passing them no matter what, to prevent a triggering election?
    An election would still be held 5 years after the previous one. It's required by the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm seeing that the Governor General is appointed by the Queen. And has some serious corruption-preventing guns to swing.
    Only in a technical de jure sense. The GG is appointed by the Queen from a list provided by the current PM. Current convention is that the list consists of exactly one name. The GG is de facto appointed by the PM.

And yeah, the GG holds a collection of "in case of emergency" powers stored behind some rather thick glass. They haven't even come close to being used in modern Canadian history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    When impeachment witness said "the president can name his son barron not make him a baron"

what part of this statement is factually wrong?
    It might be debatable. What exactly constitutes a "title of nobility" has never come before the Courts to my knowledge.

Obviously a heritable title is right out, but it might be legally permissible for the US government to create an honorary title of "Baron", in the vein of state titles like Nebraska's Admirals or Kentucky's Colonels.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans want public hearing - Democrats give them public hearings. Republicans cry.
    Republicans complain that the Dems are slow-walking the process - Dems speed up the process. Republicans cry.
    Republicans demand evidence - Democrats produce credible witnesses, tapes, transcripts, even legal scholars. Republicans cry.

All three points have something in common

- - - Updated - - -

Facts over feelings peopl, QUESTION:

When impeachment witness said "the president can name his son barron not make him a baron"

what part of this statement is factually wrong? i See the anti political corectness brigade out in full force TRIGGERED by this statement. Weird i guess they seem to care about hurt feelings than the fact that presidents cant give nobility titles to children very sad for drump
    GOP: Theres too much politcal correctness in today's world!

witness breaks down her statement in plain English that even Jim Jordan can understand

GOP: OMG! Why is she so snarky and rude . I yield my time to Jim Jordan, who is a very classy and stable human being.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...ry?id=67502822

Former Vice President Joe Biden is responding unequivocally to a top White House official who said Wednesday that President Donald Trump is demanding a full Senate trial, featuring live witnesses, if and when the House sends over articles of impeachment: He does not plan to attend voluntarily.

"No, I’m not going to let them take their eye off the ball," Biden said outside a campaign event in Iowa Falls, Iowa, on Wednesday afternoon. "The president is the one who has committed impeachable crimes, and I’m not going to let him divert from that. I’m not going to let anyone divert from that."
    So the alleged quid pro quo is about Joe Biden and his son, but Biden said he will not testify if a trial goes forward in the senate. I am sure he has nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post

So the alleged quid pro quo is about Joe Biden and his son, but Biden said he will not testify if a trial goes forward in the senate. I am sure he has nothing to hide.
    why would he attend, what biden may or may not have done has 0 impact on if trump broke the law or not.

10+ Year Old Account

what part of this statement is factually wrong? i See the anti political corectness brigade out in full force TRIGGERED by this statement. Weird i guess they seem to care about hurt feelings than the fact that presidents cant give nobility titles to children very sad for drump
    The only thing that makes sense about the outrage is that it was seen as a slam against Barron. It's not. It's a slam against Barron's father, and his motives for naming his son Barron.

The kid has no responsibility for his naming.

- - - Updated - - -

Not what he said.

Refusing to testify voluntarily just means they'll have to subpoena him. Like a lot of witnesses. And they'd need to show grounds to justify that subpoena, and I suspect Biden is well aware they won't be able to do that, because the only possible "grounds" are a conspiracy theory that's been soundly debunked by every intelligence service in the United States.

Same reason you don't voluntarily let a police officer search your trunk without probable cause, especially when that officer is someone holding a grudge who's been talking about pinning you for a host of vague and meritless crimes that exist only in that officer's head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    why would he attend, what biden may or may not have done has 0 impact on if trump broke the law or not.
    I've got to second this. Biden is not "on trial" here. If Trump wants to open an investigation into the Bidens, he can do it via Barr and Pompeo as the law allows. Not Guiliani, who has no government role. Oh, and not through the House or Senate, because Trump is not in the House or Senate.

I suppose the Senate could open an investigation, but considering they literally signed off on it, I don't see that happening.

And what would Biden have to offer? I doubt he has evidence of anything Trump did anyhow. He wasn't VP then, and it's unlikely Trump or his employees told him. It seems like bringing in Biden, who is neither the target nor a witness, would just be a waste of time.

I mean she shouldn't have dragged Baron Trump into the impeachment spectacle. A 13-year-old kid has no business being dragged into a national political discussion he plays no part in.

10+ Year Old Account

Why would he testify when he isn't on trial? And since he wasn't even aware that he was the target of the criminal acts of the president, he can't provide witness testimony.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've got to second this. Biden is not "on trial" here. If Trump wants to open an investigation into the Bidens, he can do it via Barr and Pompeo as the law allows. Not Guiliani, who has no government role. Oh, and not through the House or Senate, because Trump is not in the House or Senate.

I suppose the Senate could open an investigation, but considering they literally signed off on it, I don't see that happening.

And what would Biden have to offer? I doubt he has evidence of anything Trump did anyhow. He wasn't VP then, and it's unlikely Trump or his employees told him. It seems like bringing in Biden, who is neither the target nor a witness, would just be a waste of time.
    Its simply an attempt to throw more smoke in the air about Biden hoping it will convince enough swing voters that there must be a fire.

"look Biden had to testify before congress oooooooh he must have done something wrong!"

No, the trial is about Trump. If Trump thinks Biden has done something wrong then the relevant law enforcement branches can investigate him.

What would he testify to exactly? I very much doubt he had any part in Trump's crimes. Might as well ask why the Pope isn't testifying.

To all the other Dumpsters out there complaining about Hunter Biden, I have one question for you.

...what happened to you caring about locking up Hillary? What happened to Dumbass Dump's promise to you to investigate her?

It's really amazing how much you guys gave a shit about doing "justice" for Hillary - and how your god/king was going to lock her up...

...but amazingly... Both you and he did absolutely nothing about it. Nothing. You both just shout words of anger and shook your fists... and did absolutely fuck-all about it.

My point here is, you don't give a damn about ANY justice being done. You don't give a toss about if Hunter did/didn't do a damn thing.

You just want to win... at ALL costs. AT ALL COSTS - Your country, rules and foundation you purport to value - they're all on the gambling table by you for the purpose of "winning".

Will you give a toss about Hunter Biden after Warren, Bernie or Pete gets selected? Will you suddenly forget Hunter and go after whatever your God/King selects as your new target for hatred and rage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I mean she shouldn't have dragged Baron Trump into the impeachment spectacle. A 13-year-old kid has no business being dragged into a national political discussion he plays no part in.
    Simply saying his name isn't dragging him into it. He's not Voldemort.

They investigated Hillary...and found nothing.
    They tried to find Biden shit all over Ukraine and found nothing.

This is the reason why they want foreign nations to investigate US citizens.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    She didn't bring him into it, she brought the name Trump chose into it. No matter how much he wishes he's not royalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Why, exactly, should Biden be testifying? This impeachment isn't about whether or not Biden did something wrong(there's no evidence he did), it's about whether or not Trump did something wrong. There's literally nothing of substance to be gained from Biden's testimony. If he did something wrong then let the DoJ investigate and bring charges if they find evidence.
    They're pretty much down to the Chewbacca Defense now.

im sure he will survive the metaphor, but the bigger question is, especially to the facts over feelings people, was her statement factual, and it was

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Yep. I agree. Leave the kids out of this.

Now that we have established that this is bad, lets get back to impeaching the President for doing things that much more damaging then that. Just because somebody else was out of line doesn't change a thing about the facts of the matter.

Biden doesn't need to be there. He has no reason to testify in this conspiracy bullshit pushed by Russian apologists like John Kennedy, Lindsey Graham and others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They investigated Hillary...and found nothing.
    They tried to find Biden shit all over Ukraine and found nothing.

This is the reason why they want foreign nations to investigate US citizens.
    Yep, it worked for his biggest opponent in 2016, so he is trying to do it here, for 2020.

John Solomon directly implicated by call logs released by the impeachment inquiry. They show conversations with Giuliani and Parnas.

This would be amusing if it wasn't so serious.