Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Facing a banshee Queen, with zero Death knight backup? Absolute madness, where is Mograine and the boys?

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    What if Sylvanas just shut the fuck up instead of spazzing out over a cut.
    then we would have had another year of wow without content.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    then we would have had another year of wow without content.
    That's not true, we'd have SoO 2.0.

    Imagine if instead of putting the budget on those cinematics they moved it over to the raid design team and, given that all the assets are in-game already, did a mini-raid to last until N'zoth in 8.3. The most this patch has is talking points for us spergs on the forums for a week or two, but in terms of actually gameplay content it's barren.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Why the fuck didn't she just deathblast the three of them before they could even open their mouths?

    It seems even Sylvanas falls to the plague of death that is 'honor'.
    She would die.

    They also had Genn, Jaina, Thalyssra, Alleria, Vereesa and Lor'themar.
    Though Sylvanas is indeed strong, she couldn't counter them all, she'd have been heavily gang-banged by them she wouldn't be able to walk till the next expansion(prolly because she would be dead).

  5. #125
    Sylvanas lost the Horde because she insisted on doing a villain monologue while twirling her mustache.

    It's ridiculously stupid, but Blizzard's going to Blizzard.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Are you sure about that? Because I think that the fall would indeed be enough.
    She died from the head-shot. She isn't invincible.
    I know it's fantasy world, but if a simple bullet is enough for her to die, then a fall from highs on the ground would be even more deadly.
    That's the reason Sylvanas gave for impaling herself on the spikes on her way down, yes. Also, those weren't normal bullets. That guy used magical bullets throughout his dungeon fight.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    She would die.

    They also had Genn, Jaina, Thalyssra, Alleria, Vereesa and Lor'themar.
    Though Sylvanas is indeed strong, she couldn't counter them all, she'd have been heavily gang-banged by them she wouldn't be able to walk till the next expansion(prolly because she would be dead).
    Genn already proved himself to be ineffective against Sylvanas in combat, failing to even wound her while scoring a direct hit on her face. Vereesa and Lor'themar would be in the same general ballpark as he has no special powers (and Lor'themar's lack of depth perception due to losing an eye would be detrimental to his aim on top of that). Jaina and Thalyssra would get silenced the moment Sylvanas decided to remember she's a Banshee. On top of that neither could even really detect the magic she used against Saurfang and knew nothing about it, so chances are they wouldn't be able to properly protect themselves against it even if they weren't silenced. The unknown here is Alleria because it's uncertain whether her powers are affected by a silence or not. Then again Sylvanas' voice can also break bones, so not really.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    What if Sylvanas just shut the fuck up instead of spazzing out over a cut.
    But her pretty elven face!
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Well shit, why not do that before hundreds of soldiers laid down their lives for what might have been all along an unethically-questionable leader who could be removed with something as simply as a duel?
    Because Saurfang decided to stand and fight at Lordaeron because he believed there was still good in the Horde. Then he was captured, and Sylvanas blighted the shit out of her own people and nation. Since his defeat in Lordaeron, He has not been in her presence up until this 8.2.5 scene to challenge her. The reason he stayed awol after Anduin released him is because the Horde seemingly supported her after everything she'd done, evidenced by his following and supporters among the Horde being small, as shown in 8.2.5's first cinematic. Furthermore, that cinematic shows how he (correctly) views the Horde's foundations of honor being based on bullshit... and Sylvanas has inherited the reigns of their bullshit. A lot of reasons prior to the conclusion for Saurfang to feel apathetic for the Horde itself... but not for the cause of protecting Azeroth.

    As far as the duel goes, Saurfang basically calls out immediately that she won't just one-shot him right away. "You want to make me suffer." It's not so much that he knows she'll say something dumb, but moreso that in the time he's spent with her he knows she's arrogant and impulsive. He saw it at Teldrassil, and anyone who denies that she's that way doesn't know her character. The very first time we meet her she brags to Arthas that he has zero chances of defeating her, taunts him with how to disable Quel'thalas' defenses assuming he won't be able to. Saurfang knows he's going to lose, but he also sees a high likelihood that she'll do something dishonorable in the eyes of the Horde... that possibly she's show everyone what he saw at Teldrassil. Or he gets killed, and the battle plays out the way it would've if he'd yelled "charge!".

    But hey, here's the real kicker... you're playing a game that's a comic book, a cartoon, a meme referencing machine, a literary McDonalds quickie of watching green grunties fight bikini elves. Try not to take it too seriously. That's not a defense of "bad writing", that's a reality check for anyone who expects master craft story composers to be popping their heads into your escapism addiction. For every "shoulda happened this way" (mine included), we can poke just as many holes in it because the format of this game obeys one thing: rule of cool. Like for example, the Vindicaar could just completely obliterate Orgrimmar's defenses like it did Antorus... but that's not cool. It's a game where cows can fight pirates one day, then fly off to space and kill gods the next.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Let's not forget she has been shot, stabbed, raked by claws, forcibly separated and put back as a spirit all in the same body and didn't fly off the handle during any of those times and instead came back pissed off even more. It's so out of character for her to ruin her plan over a small cut.
    She is constantly lashing out. I don't see why people think she is a cold hearted killing machine that shows no emotion....

  10. #130
    Legendary! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    Because Saurfang decided to stand and fight at Lordaeron because he believed there was still good in the Horde. Then he was captured, and Sylvanas blighted the shit out of her own people and nation. Since his defeat in Lordaeron, He has not been in her presence up until this 8.2.5 scene to challenge her. The reason he stayed awol after Anduin released him is because the Horde seemingly supported her after everything she'd done, evidenced by his following and supporters among the Horde being small, as shown in 8.2.5's first cinematic. Furthermore, that cinematic shows how he (correctly) views the Horde's foundations of honor being based on bullshit... and Sylvanas has inherited the reigns of their bullshit. A lot of reasons prior to the conclusion for Saurfang to feel apathetic for the Horde itself... but not for the cause of protecting Azeroth.

    As far as the duel goes, Saurfang basically calls out immediately that she won't just one-shot him right away. "You want to make me suffer." It's not so much that he knows she'll say something dumb, but moreso that in the time he's spent with her he knows she's arrogant and impulsive. He saw it at Teldrassil, and anyone who denies that she's that way doesn't know her character. The very first time we meet her she brags to Arthas that he has zero chances of defeating her, taunts him with how to disable Quel'thalas' defenses assuming he won't be able to. Saurfang knows he's going to lose, but he also sees a high likelihood that she'll do something dishonorable in the eyes of the Horde... that possibly she's show everyone what he saw at Teldrassil. Or he gets killed, and the battle plays out the way it would've if he'd yelled "charge!".

    But hey, here's the real kicker... you're playing a game that's a comic book, a cartoon, a meme referencing machine, a literary McDonalds quickie of watching green grunties fight bikini elves. Try not to take it too seriously. That's not a defense of "bad writing", that's a reality check for anyone who expects master craft story composers to be popping their heads into your escapism addiction. For every "shoulda happened this way" (mine included), we can poke just as many holes in it because the format of this game obeys one thing: rule of cool. Like for example, the Vindicaar could just completely obliterate Orgrimmar's defenses like it did Antorus... but that's not cool. It's a game where cows can fight pirates one day, then fly off to space and kill gods the next.
    Well, to that I say, touche sir.

  11. #131
    The Insane Aeula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Posts
    16,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    She would die.

    They also had Genn, Jaina, Thalyssra, Alleria, Vereesa and Lor'themar.
    Though Sylvanas is indeed strong, she couldn't counter them all, she'd have been heavily gang-banged by them she wouldn't be able to walk till the next expansion(prolly because she would be dead).
    She can turn into a cloud and float away, just float back to the wall and keep fighting them off. With the three main leaders dead there's be panic and chaos that she could use to feed all their souls to whatever it is she wants to feed them to.

    She's clearly very fast in her cloud form.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Genn already proved himself to be ineffective against Sylvanas in combat, failing to even wound her while scoring a direct hit on her face. Vereesa and Lor'themar would be in the same general ballpark as he has no special powers (and Lor'themar's lack of depth perception due to losing an eye would be detrimental to his aim on top of that). Jaina and Thalyssra would get silenced the moment Sylvanas decided to remember she's a Banshee. On top of that neither could even really detect the magic she used against Saurfang and knew nothing about it, so chances are they wouldn't be able to properly protect themselves against it even if they weren't silenced. The unknown here is Alleria because it's uncertain whether her powers are affected by a silence or not. Then again Sylvanas' voice can also break bones, so not really.
    I see people mentioning the ability to silence time and time again, but that has never been shown to work on any major spellcasters, such as Malfurion (Darkshore) or Jaina (Ruins of Lordaeron). It's unlikely to be down to Sylvanas not remembering to use it, and far more likely that it's down to them being immune to such abilities, just as Sylvanas is immune to Anduin simply casting shackle on her or something.

    Simple, in-game abilities do not affect beings of significant power. Thrall wouldn't be able to kite Garrosh around with an Earthbind Totem etc. As such, a fight involving Sylvanas, Lor'themar, Jaina, Anduin, Thalyssra and Alleria can't just be explained via a simple "who has what ability", because that's not how it would play out.

    Basically, it would play out however the writers wanted it to, and they'd completely ignore such things.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
    I see people mentioning the ability to silence time and time again, but that has never been shown to work on any major spellcasters, such as Malfurion (Darkshore) or Jaina (Ruins of Lordaeron). It's unlikely to be down to Sylvanas not remembering to use it, and far more likely that it's down to them being immune to such abilities, just as Sylvanas is immune to Anduin simply casting shackle on her or something.

    Simple, in-game abilities do not affect beings of significant power. Thrall wouldn't be able to kite Garrosh around with an Earthbind Totem etc. As such, a fight involving Sylvanas, Lor'themar, Jaina, Anduin, Thalyssra and Alleria can't just be explained via a simple "who has what ability", because that's not how it would play out.

    Basically, it would play out however the writers wanted it to, and they'd completely ignore such things.
    It worked on Dar'khan when he had the entire power of the Sunwell all to himself and was making Kalecgos his bitch... And I can't say I recall Sylvanas screaming in War of Thorns. Or Malfurion casting all that much, for that matter. Most of what he did was running away from her. Or against Jaina at Lordaeron for that matter And Thrall outright immobilized Garrosh with his elemental power to the point of crushing him before he decided to electrocute him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    She is constantly lashing out. I don't see why people think she is a cold hearted killing machine that shows no emotion....
    She lashes out when she's emotionally hurt by her family or when Arthas was involved. Not when she's toying with some twerp in combat and they manage to land a hit. She didn't lash out when Genn hit her in the face in their fight. Not even after he fucked her future over.

  14. #134
    The point is that if the scream could have flat out silenced them, she would have used it and won both in Darkshore (the duel) and in the Ruins of Lordaeron before flying away (would have prevented Jaina from protecting them). It would have been way too much of an "i-win" button in too many cases. Just like shackle.

    So no, Anduin can't shackle Sylvanas. And no, Sylvanas can't just silence Jaina and turn her into a regular woman in an instant. And no, Tirion couldn't use turn undead/evil on the Lich King in ICC. It doesn't work like that with major characters. They may have certain similarities with races/classes that we play, but that's where the similarities end.

    That was also my point with Thrall. He used a "shaman-like" ability, sure, but one that doesn't exist in the game. It's magnitudes beyond any playable shaman, and it works on Garrosh because Thrall, in his prime, was considerably more powerful than him. That's usually how things are written: Thrall is vastly more powerful than Garrosh, so he can use some amazing ability to take him out in an instant, showing the difference in power level. There's no logical reason the same wouldn't work on Illidan, but it just doesn't work that way in WoW - they'd completely ignore that and have Illidan do some swooshy crap, followed by a snide remark and then a fel blast to indicate that he's amazing and cool and badass in every way.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    That's the reason Sylvanas gave for impaling herself on the spikes on her way down, yes. Also, those weren't normal bullets. That guy used magical bullets throughout his dungeon fight.
    Her body isn't invincible, so it would just be destroyed into pieces. I know it's fantasy world, but WoW follows the same law of physics as our world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Genn already proved himself to be ineffective against Sylvanas in combat, failing to even wound her while scoring a direct hit on her face.
    First of all - Genn won that fight. She lost, she didn't even fight back. Gripped tightly that bow and... that's all. She couldn't finish him.
    Second - she didn't even felt him coming untill he actually said her name, otherwise he would have probably shred her to pieces.
    Third - he didn't want to kill her, just wanted to take her future. And he accomplished his goal, unlike Windrunner who just did:

    People who tighten their fists shows that they are fighting with something they cannot win, so it's the normal behaviour of someone who's angry because he lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Jaina and Thalyssra would get silenced the moment Sylvanas decided to remember she's a Banshee.
    Just as she did in Battle of Undercity, right? Don't make me laugh here. Jaina is more powerful, her level is beyond that Sylvanas has EVER shown.
    It was enough for her to make a magic ship to destroy that puny walls and frozen the plague. She didn't stand a chance, she lost there also. She had to abandon the city, she knew she was surrounded and coudln't win so ran away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    On top of that neither could even really detect the magic she used against Saurfang and knew nothing about it, so chances are they wouldn't be able to properly protect themselves against it even if they weren't silenced.
    Animals don't know anything about metals and they surely defend themselves from the knives and other sharp tools, so that argument is pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Then again Sylvanas' voice can also break bones, so not really.
    Too bad she didn't do that in the game or cinematic. She may used that on some weak peasant once and that's all. Anduin would be good enough to shield their partners and make them resistant to that.

    So yeah... Nothing in the whole WoW lore, game, cineamtics, books or whatever points that she could win with such a powerful opponents. She wouldn't stand a chance against them.
    Anyway, she ran away - so that discussion is seriously not needed. Otherwise she would've just killed them all where they stood. But she's too weak compared to them and didn't show anything more spectacular than themselves combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Or Malfurion casting all that much, for that matter. Most of what he did was running away from her.
    And that's a head-cannon right there mate. It was Sylvanas who ran away from Malfurion.

    02:40
    Can we actually stop using that Sylvanas vs Malfurion? It gives nothing to the discussion, when she fought with him at the culminant point in the game she was kneeling and moaning with pain with less HP and we all know that she told Saurfang she couldn't win without him(the short novel).

    And as it was proven dozen of times - her silence abilites may be working or some low-class mages. Not on someone as powerful as Jaina or Thalyssra.

    And I'm talking facts. Not something "she could've done that" - welp, but she didn't. So that means she couldn't.
    I could also say "Malfurion could one-shot everyone on the Darkshore but he didn't want to spill the bloods of his druids from the horde".

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    She can turn into a cloud and float away, just float back to the wall and keep fighting them off. With the three main leaders dead there's be panic and chaos that she could use to feed all their souls to whatever it is she wants to feed them to.

    She's clearly very fast in her cloud form.
    Too bad she didn't use that, yeah? Welp, probably because their opponents were too strong for that. And she wouldn't even touch any of them, maybe one person, the rest would have wrecked her immediately.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-09-26 at 06:20 PM.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Animals don't know anything about metals and they surely defend themselves from the knives and other sharp tools, so that argument is pointless.
    That's a horrible analogy. It's like an animal going up against a rocket engine and instantly dying.

    This is magic, not a sword. They discuss it right after the cinematic that they have no clue what she did and couldn't even sense it as being magic.

  17. #137
    Elemental Lord HighlordJohnstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    Posts
    8,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    She would die.

    They also had Genn, Jaina, Thalyssra, Alleria, Vereesa and Lor'themar.
    Though Sylvanas is indeed strong, she couldn't counter them all, she'd have been heavily gang-banged by them she wouldn't be able to walk till the next expansion(prolly because she would be dead).
    The fact they didn't just straight up attack once she blasted Saurfang and called the Horde "nothing" is also just plain BS.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That's a horrible analogy. It's like an animal going up against a rocket engine and instantly dying.
    Tbf, a Druid in any kind of Animal form in Legion wouldn't have a scratch on them from getting hit with a Rocket Engine.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That's a horrible analogy. It's like an animal going up against a rocket engine and instantly dying.

    This is magic, not a sword.
    But that wasn't rocket engine vs animal. Plenty of times mages of Azeroth were one-shotting people(e.g. Khadgar vs orcs in the Gate to Draenor. I would bet plenty of gold that he would've done the same thing as her with Saurfang. Or we are going to discuss now how killing an old orc warrior with magic means they're omnipotent being? ).

    She used magic? Yeah.
    Powerful? Yup, very.
    Something that could kill them all? Nope(because she didn't do it).
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-09-26 at 06:18 PM.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    But that wasn't rocket engine vs animal. Plenty of times mages of Azeroth were one-shotting people(e.g. Khadgar vs orcs in the Gate to Draenor).
    She used magic? Yeah.
    Powerful? Yup, very.
    Something that could kill them all? Nope(because she didn't do it).
    They discuss it right after the cinematic that they have no clue what she did and couldn't even sense it as being magic. So you're guess is as wrong as my guess because there is no info on it yet.

    Did you listen to and read all the post cinematic discussions?

  20. #140
    Banned Highelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    #Garithoswasright
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    That's why Mak'gorah is such a stupid and lazy way to end war-sized conflicts. It's essentially one individual challenging the Warchief to a dick-measuring contest. Winner take all. Well shit, why not do that before hundreds of soldiers laid down their lives for what might have been all along an unethically-questionable leader who could be removed with something as simply as a duel?
    Haha yeah this is a great post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •