Thread: Newpc parts

Newpc parts

Looking to replace a few parts. My current build in my signature. Looking to replace CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard and case.

Budget - $1000
    Resolution - 2k maybe 4k in future
    Games / Settings Desired - various aaa titles, high + settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - not really
    Country - Canada
    Parts that can be reused - everything but parts mentioned above.
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc? No

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sheor; 2019-09-29 at 09:07 AM.
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a sticky with this list in it:
    Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Please answer as much as you can, it'll make it easier to help you

Ok made changes to initial post to answer those questions thanks
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    Resolution - 2k maybe 4k in future
    There are some people who think 2k refers to 1080p, and some who think it refers to 1440p, which do you mean?
    Do you plan on playing at 60fps or 120, or higher?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    There are some people who think 2k refers to 1080p, and some who think it refers to 1440p, which do you mean?
    Do you plan on playing at 60fps or 120, or higher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    Ok made changes to initial post to answer those questions thanks
    Yeah its kinda fucked.
    Usually 1080p was called 1k or full hd.
    Because it was counted towards the amount of pixels in height.
    Later down the line people started called 3840p 4k. But this one is based on the amount of pixels in weight.

Now you have 2 standards using same naming sense so it can be strange to know which one people is referring to.
    As Mister Temp Name states which resolution are you referring to?

2560 x 1440p?
    1920 x 1080p?

Or one of the many other none standard resolution in that area.
    like:
    2560 x 1080p
    3200 x 1800p
    2560 x 1920p
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Standards.svg
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-09-29 at 10:43 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

May I ask why you even want to upgarde? 6600k is a very capable cpu. Being an older one doesn't make it bad.
    And increasing the resolution to 4k taxes gpu instead of the cpu.
    I can pretty much guarantee that 6600k is capable of 4k/60 in any modern game unless it's just extremely poorly optimized.
    And you said yourself that you're not doing any heavy workload stuff like video/3d rendering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Usually 1080p was called 1k or full hd.
    Because it was counted towards the amount of pixels in height.
    Later down the line people started called 3840p 4k. But this one is based on the amount of pixels in weight.
    Ehhh.... We got the "2k" and "4k" from cinema, where 2048x1080 is called DCI 2k (technically just 2k, but since we have 2 different 4k standards, "real" 4k at 4096x2160 is called DCI 4k, so we also applied the DCI pre-fix to 2k), the website you linked even says as much, referring to 2048x1080 as 2k.

But yeah, it's pretty confusing because people can NEVER AGREE ON THIS SHIT AND IT'S ANNOYING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    May I ask why you even want to upgarde? 6600k is a very capable cpu. Being an older one doesn't make it bad.
    And increasing the resolution to 4k taxes gpu instead of the cpu.
    I can pretty much guarantee that 6600k is capable of 4k/60 in any modern game unless it's just extremely poorly optimized.
    And you said yourself that you're not doing any heavy workload stuff like video/3d rendering.
    A 4 core 4 thread CPU is going to struggle with some modern games, particularly when it comes to minimum FPS.
    @Sheor Maybe something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($328.90 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($197.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Silverstone RL06 ATX Mid Tower Case ($116.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $702.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-29 09:13 EDT-0400

Case is highly subjective ofc. Define R4 is still a good design, but if you want something with better airflow I'd recommend something like a Silverstone RL06.
    AIO liquid coolers are also an option ofc if you like that look better, nearly the same performance but with more noise and higher cost though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    A 4 core 4 thread CPU is going to struggle with some modern games, particularly when it comes to minimum FPS.
    I would agree on "some modern games", but especially as someone who recently went from 3570k/ddr3-1333 to 3700x/ddr4-3600 I barely feel any difference in 90% of the games in 2k/60. The rest 10% being games like Total Warhammer where cpu matters more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I would agree on "some modern games", but especially as someone who recently went from 3570k/ddr3-1333 to 3700x/ddr4-3600 I barely feel any difference in 90% of the games in 2k/60. The rest 10% being games like Total Warhammer where cpu matters more.
    True, it's not gonna be a noticeable difference in a lot of games. It also depends on what else you do with your computer.
    I made a similar switch a few weeks ago, going from a Xeon e3-1231v3 (basically an i7-4770) with 1600Mhz DDR3 to a Ryzen 3600 with 3600Mhz DDR4. So just going from a 4core/8thread to 6core/12thread CPU with faster memory.
    The main thing I noticed is how much better it handles switching between programs, and how I can run a game on my main monitor while watching a video or stream on my 2nd monitor without any real performance loss. Previously such a scenario would cause a fair bit lower performance and lots of framerate "spiking" or hitching. I imagine a 4 thread CPU would be pretty much unusable in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    True, it's not gonna be a noticeable difference in a lot of games. It also depends on what else you do with your computer.
    I made a similar switch a few weeks ago, going from a Xeon e3-1231v3 (basically an i7-4770) with 1600Mhz DDR3 to a Ryzen 3600 with 3600Mhz DDR4. So just going from a 4core/8thread to 6core/12thread CPU with faster memory.
    The main thing I noticed is how much better it handles switching between programs, and how I can run a game on my main monitor while watching a video or stream on my 2nd monitor without any real performance loss. Previously such a scenario would cause a fair bit lower performance and lots of framerate "spiking" or hitching. I imagine a 4 thread CPU would be pretty much unusable in that scenario.
    Yes, you're right about everything, but the question is still "Is it worth ~800$ upgrade?". And there is no clear answer for that. I upgraded just because I had an itching for new stuff, not because I expected a lot from the setup, but not all people understands that.