Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    This thread was made by someone with a terrible attitude in game and is pissed about being put on ignore by numerous people. There's no other explanation behind why this thread exists.
    Nope, it's that I think people are using a tool horribly wrongly. They're trying to recreate a culture that they remember existing in 2004 but they've unintentionally brought one of the worst aspects of 2019 (what the poster above referred to as the Cancel Culture) to Classic.

My two ignores were this:

Needing on a level 39 item when I was level 38.

Asking to be invited to a group that was killing mobs, then I didn't immediately start fighting the mob they were attacking because I was looking for a quest item in my bags (it was one of those "use this item to drain the dragon's essence" type quests and I couldn't find the item, dragon was dying fast).

Otherwise I'm in a guild and doing fine. I just think I'm seeing the tip of a lot of dumb behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    A much better idea would be to make a thread advising against being an idiot in classic realms knowing the community aspect. A lot of the idiots spamming general and trade chats don't know it yet, but they are probably making it on a ton of ignore lists. You can forget about all those people inviting you ever.
    Again, doesn't this seem like an overreaction?

I'm actually considering clearing out my ignore list because I'm guilty of it too, over the course of a lot of years of playing I have like 100 names on there and no idea who any of them are anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Again, doesn't this seem like an overreaction?

I'm actually considering clearing out my ignore list because I'm guilty of it too, over the course of a lot of years of playing I have like 100 names on there and no idea who any of them are anymore.

That's normally what it's supposed to be like. Your ignore list grows, even though you forget why each individual name is on there, your experience in the game slowly become more sane and less toxic.

As for 'forgiving' them because people change, why give them the benefit of the doubt when there's hundreds of other players who haven't screwed up also wanting a group invite?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitiz View Post
    It's the best example of Cancel Culture and being guilty without evidence, which is what he's talking about.

Sure all of the accusations in both #MeToo, and people doing bad things in wow, may all be true but for most of modern-day history, the burden of proof was on the accusor, not the alleged perpetrator.

These days its the opposite, it's dangerous and #MeToo is the most public version of that. I can't even remember if any of the accused have actually had a trial or have even been arrested over the allegations.

They have all lost public support and a lot of the time lost their livelihood, over hearsay. It may have all happened but you can't ruin lives based on maybe.

Anyone who supports people having their lives ruined over rumour are the bad guys in society right now.
    What would likely of happened pre- social media if you went into a mall, and started shouting the N word, how likely is it, that a person, would come up to you , and lets say "deplatform you". Yet no one really complained about that back in the day, yet they are demanding, people not even be able to simply ignore people on an online platform? give me a break.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2019-10-01 at 03:00 AM.

99% of my ignore list are people asking for layer invites.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    What would likely of happened pre- social media if you went into a mall, and started shouting the N word, how likely is it, that a person, would come up to you , and lets say "deplatform you". Yet no one really complained about that back in the day, yet they are demanding, people not even be able to simply ignore people on an online platform? give me a break.
    The OP is against people ganging up on others and ignoring them using mob mentality and not actually using logic and reasoning to determine if that person should be ignored and/or blacklisted.

This is a bigger issue in Classic since you are locked to your realm and reputation matters. He is saying that people, including himself, are being ignored or blacklisted by large groups of people that don't have all the evidence to make an informed decision.

They are using the contemporary method of jumping on an accusation and assuming its true because you should automatically believe the accuser right?

This is the complaint. It's a plead to use your own judgment and reason when you have the power to silence or ban someone.

I've ignored a few. One guy invited me to Scholo, then after I flew over there and waited for ten minutes for everyone to show up he said, "Sorry, guildie showed up," and kicked me from the group.

Ignore has its uses.
    Horror and terror lurk behind the walls provided so wisely by our ancestors. We tear them down at our peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Don't make ignoring like some of the worst aspects of #MeToo where accusation = guilt = permanent blacklist. That's a 2019 mindset, not a 2004 one.
    never rolled my eyes harder in my entire life. please by all means go back to 2004 and stay there

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post

In Difficulty it does.
    LFR actually restricts people as part of it's coding.

That's a whole difficulty rating LFR eliminates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    This thread was made by someone with a terrible attitude in game and is pissed about being put on ignore by numerous people. There's no other explanation behind why this thread exists.
    I don't agree with most of your opinions, but this is gospel.

It's just like the people who rant about how terrible reporting people is and how everyone who does it is a soy/cuck/12yo/insert slur of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

naive thread

those who ninja do it fully knowing what people will think

they simply dont care - because in 2 months nobody will rememeber their nicks and gear/gold from selling it is forever.

launch is the best moment to ninja because nobody will rememeber 1 person out of 30000

if anything it could have more consequences later on when 95% of people will quit classic and there will be like 1500-2000 people on each server left

I seriously doubt this is really a widespread problem. I just don't buy people ignoring someone they don't know, because another someone they don't know told them to. If they are, then yeah they are blind idiotic sheep.

It's the best example of Cancel Culture and being guilty without evidence, which is what he's talking about.

Sure all of the accusations in both #MeToo, and people doing bad things in wow, may all be true but for most of modern-day history, the burden of proof was on the accusor, not the alleged perpetrator.

These days its the opposite, it's dangerous and #MeToo is the most public version of that. I can't even remember if any of the accused have actually had a trial or have even been arrested over the allegations.

They have all lost public support and a lot of the time lost their livelihood, over hearsay. It may have all happened but you can't ruin lives based on maybe.

Anyone who supports people having their lives ruined over rumour are the bad guys in society right now.
    I don't think you could have missed the point any harder if you physically dove out of the way of it and it is depressing that this even needs to be clarified.

One summarizes a movement of real people who have been victims of some seriously horrible real crimes. The other is 'o no dont add my char 2 ur ignor list in dis video game cuz i needed ur trinket cuz i r bad at dis game.' There is literally no comparison, there is no 'this is just like that!' and it is ridiculous that of all the things the OP could have used as an analogy, that is the one he picked.

And while you have a point about the dangers of the 'trial by internet' mentality, that was a thing LONG before MeToo existed. There are (and always have been) a whole lot of people out there who form an opinion about something without knowing fuckall about it, and reach a decision of guilt or innocence that they will take to their grave.

Ever heard of Salem?
    The amount of people who are supposedly over WoW/hate WoW, yet continue to spend every day of their lives whining about it here on the forums, never fails to astound me.

Obsession is bad, kids!

So far, I've ignored three players. Two of them wouldn't stop whispering me and one stole a chest I was fighting for.

If someone doesn't directly bother me or wrong me, then I don't ignore. Ignoring for silly shit like Thunderfury spam, losing rolls, or other things that aren't bad faith directed at you is laughably weak.

addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    So far, I've ignored three players. Two of them wouldn't stop whispering me and one stole a chest I was fighting for.

If someone doesn't directly bother me or wrong me, then I don't ignore. Ignoring for silly shit like Thunderfury spam, losing rolls, or other things that aren't bad faith directed at you is laughably weak.
    Stole it how? Sounds to me like they legitimately looted the chest. Did you roll for it, and win, and yet they looted anyway?

Stole it how? Sounds to me like they legitimately looted the chest. Did you roll for it, and win, and yet they looted anyway?
    If you see someone in combat next to a chest, even standing on top of it, and you walk in and open it anyways, you're garbage.

addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame

If you see someone in combat next to a chest, even standing on top of it, and you walk in and open it anyways, you're garbage.
    hahah what? Why? You are just upset because you got outsmarted and someone took loot you wanted, that's it. In no way, shape or form were you entitled to that chest, simply because you are so amateur you got caught in combat next to a chest, and the other player, who is clearly more experienced, did not.

Seriously, your entire argument is based on "but, but, but, i wanted it, and they got it!!!". When did everyone become so entitled and spoiled? You remind me of the teens crying because their rich daddy bought them the wrong coloured range rover.

The OP is against people ganging up on others and ignoring them using mob mentality and not actually using logic and reasoning to determine if that person should be ignored and/or blacklisted.

This is a bigger issue in Classic since you are locked to your realm and reputation matters. He is saying that people, including himself, are being ignored or blacklisted by large groups of people that don't have all the evidence to make an informed decision.

They are using the contemporary method of jumping on an accusation and assuming its true because you should automatically believe the accuser right?

This is the complaint. It's a plead to use your own judgment and reason when you have the power to silence or ban someone.
    I think the OP is being a snowflake, back in the day if people were dicks they were blacklisted, and nobody wanted to play with them or be associated with them, nowadays its crazy if you are against people being dickheads your labeled a pc SJW, the OP wants zero consequences for his poor choices, i have a solution, dont make poor choices like being a dick, and there wont be consequences for said choices. its genius and revolutionary, it would only be more ironic if hes a supporter of the "personal responsibility" party

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I think the OP is being a snowflake, back in the day if people were dicks they were blacklisted, and nobody wanted to play with them or be associated with them, nowadays its crazy if you are against people being dickheads your labeled a pc SJW, the OP wants zero consequences for his poor choices, i have a solution, dont make poor choices like being a dick, and there wont be consequences for said choices. its genius and revolutionary, it would only be more ironic if hes a supporter of the "personal responsibility" party
    Not this again - as others have said, this did not, and does not happen - this is a weird delusion of grandeur that some players have. The VAST majoirty of players couldnt give a shit that you are crying in trade because some dude got the loot you wanted - most of us just think you sound like a bratty child who didnt get their way. "Oh but on reddit" i would be stunned if even 5% of players visited a major fansite like mmo-c, let alone reddit. The problem is you guys create the perfect echo chamber and go on and on about "blacklists" while the "blacklisted" players continue playing, completely oblivious to anything, as you have ZERO impact on their gameplay experience.

<toxic vomit>
    Congratulations, you're a ninja! Good day to you, sir or ma'am.

addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame

Congratulations, you're a ninja! Good day to you, sir or ma'am.
    Congrats, you have absolutely no idea what the term "ninja" means, because no, opening a chest is not ninja looting. You just didnt get what you wanted, and packed a sad. To ignore someone over something so trivial is extremely childish and pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    LFR actually restricts people as part of it's coding.

That's a whole difficulty rating LFR eliminates.
    What on earth are you talking about? Im not being rude, i honestly have no clue what you are trying to say.