Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blind spots should we have more compassion?

Being in security for going on a better of 2 decades, I have learned a lot. One of the things I frequently get asked about is do I have compassion for people that I have busted, who get arrested and what not.

And my honest answer is YES

Obviously some are more sympathetic than others, but for the most part getting boner because someone made a mistake or got caught doing something stupid or someone simply made a mistake is well past me. I often wonder my why people do things rather than that they just did.

The Video I posted has to do with observation, it's a Ted talk but I am not posting it as something new, but I am posting it because I am prefacing whats in it with the question.

Should we have more compassion for one another?

If we do or don't have compassion what is our reasoning?

Personally the video hits for me on the idea that, sometimes when people do things stupid, that well fuck them it's their fault for being stupid. But the truth is everybody is stupid, we all have our blind spots.

My problem is less with people who are human and make mistake and operate better on what they know the best they can. But my lack of compassion has more to do with individuals who do what they do KNOWING full well what they are doing and how it effects and hurts other people.

Nobody deserves to be beaten up, nobody deserves to have their shit stolen, and nobody deserves to be a victim regardless to how stupid they are period. And yes there is such a thing as being a victim and it doesn't make someone WEAK to be at the mercy of something they don't know.

I think the funniest thing about the video is that I actually understand the things that plenty of people didn't and the way he works and points out details is very very accurate.

It's hard to catch everything.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should always show some compassion. But at the same time, justice needs to be done in order for society to function in safety and order. If a execution is needed, you should do it humanely. That is showing compassion and justice at the same time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You should always show some compassion. But at the same time, justice needs to be done in order for society to function in safety and order. If a execution is needed, you should do it humanely. That is showing compassion and justice at the same time.
    I am not completely in disagreement with this. The problem is that our justice system has serious flaws in it. The saying let the guilty go free if it keeps one innocent man from being harmed.

Something like that, I think execution should exist if it can be absolute, and if the entirely of a societies resources have been exhausted.

Because the truth is everybody lies, everyone cheats, we all make mistakes and do the thing we know we shouldn't do.

I think the line is of course where we rationalize our decisions especially when they effect others.

A man stealing a loaf of bread is a thief but a man who cheated the system played by the rules so that the man stealing the bread has little or no other choice, that is much much worse.

And unfortunately too much of society seems to be blind to that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Nobody deserves to be beaten up,
    You lost me there. There are certainly people who deserve to be beaten up.

I also don't understand what misdirection and attention to detail have to do with compassion. One is a hard skill that can be learned, the other is a soft skill. Actually having compassion for other people is something most people I've met don't have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    You lost me there. There are certainly people who deserve to be beaten up.

I also don't understand what misdirection and attention to detail has to do with compassion. One is a hardskill that can be learned, the other is a soft skill. Actually having compassion for other people is something most people I've met don't have.
    Nobody deserves to be beaten up I think is pretty objective. As for misdirection and attention to detail, the point I am making based on my experience is Everybody has a blind spot, we all miss something hell entire groups if not trained can miss details.

The point is if we are truly products of our environment and I believe we are along with our biological realities. I think compassion is an asset to have and is smarter and over all makes communities and societies better.

It's better to ask why something is the way it is, rather than being angry about the results.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not completely in disagreement with this. The problem is that our justice system has serious flaws in it. The saying let the guilty go free if it keeps one innocent man from being harmed.

Something like that, I think execution should exist if it can be absolute, and if the entirely of a societies resources have been exhausted.

Because the truth is everybody lies, everyone cheats, we all make mistakes and do the thing we know we shouldn't do.

I think the line is of course where we rationalize our decisions especially when they effect others.

A man stealing a loaf of bread is a thief but a man who cheated the system played by the rules so that the man stealing the bread has little or no other choice, that is much much worse.

And unfortunately too much of society seems to be blind to that reality.
    There is never going to be a 100% perfect justice system because humans are not perfect. And there already exists different degrees of punishment for crimes. Even with a conviction of murder, there can be and are, different sentences. Depending on the circumstances. The case of the actor who cheated to get her kids to a college, she pleaded guilty and was only sentenced to 14 days in jail.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    There is never going to be a 100% perfect justice system because humans are not perfect. And there already exists different degrees of punishment for crimes. Even with a conviction of murder, there can be and are, different sentences. Depending on the circumstances. The case of the actor who cheated to get her kids to a college, she pleaded guilty and was only sentenced to 14 days in jail.
    Perfection isn't required to strive for the best outcome, nor is making sure as best to our ability we never commit someone to death unless we are as close to 100% sure.

As to the actors that cheated to get their kids into school, I am not going to condemn someone for doing everything they can to make a better life for their kids, even if I disagree, or what they do breaks the law.

Near as I can tell those parents simply took advantage of a way of gaming the system not officially allowed as opposed to plenty of other ways used to grease the same wheels.

We don't have to disagree they did the wrong thing, and regardless to reasons, the law is the law, I respect that. But I think it's important to identify parts of our humanity we don't like, rather then pretend it doesn't exist and pretend we are shocked when human beings make mistakes.

As I said I have worked for some of the biggest criminals unofficially, who are responsible for more theft and wrongs than many of those I have been paid to watch, or go after.

Nobody deserves to be beaten up I think is pretty objective.
    No really it isn't. There are certain lines that if you cross them, you should eat a shoe to the face. Mind you, that's a pretty big line you must cross, but some people... I swear.

I think compassion is an asset to have and is smarter and over all makes communities and societies better.
    That's true but really, come on.... Most people suck at being compassionate. The egoistical psychopath for me is the norm type personality which I see walking around, and everything else is the exception.

10+ Year Old Account
    No really it isn't. There are certain lines that if you cross them, you should eat a shoe to the face. Mind you, that's a pretty big line you must cross, but some people... I swear.
    This is why facts over feelings is a stupid premise to reason from, because context for sure matters. In general it is our difference to others circumstances that has more to do with the contempt people have vs actual harm.

My experience is that the people that do the most harm generally get a pass or almost ignored, mostly because of perception.

The things people notice often times get more attention than what is more important, or more important than people realize when distracted by something else.

That's true but really, come on.... Most people suck at being compassionate. The egoistical psychopath for me is the norm type personality which I see walking around, and everything else is the exception.
    You are right, but the problem is people think compassion is weakness, and worse people fail to realize compassion works in their own self interest more than indifference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Execution isn't ever necessary in the USA, that is just a bullshit excuse to murder someone via the legal system.

Circumstances can require killing someone for the purpose of protecting people, but execution is simply murdering someone after they've already been removed from society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Some criminals/crimes don't deserve any empathy...that should go to the victims.

Death row error rate is 4-8% in America.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Some criminals/crimes don't deserve any empathy...that should go to the victims.
    Not to the point you seek revenge over rehabilitation. Those who can’t be rehabilitated should be held in a place for the criminally insane

I have no problem with the death penalty for some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Execution isn't ever necessary in the USA, that is just a bullshit excuse to murder someone via the legal system.

Circumstances can require killing someone for the purpose of protecting people, but execution is simply murdering someone after they've already been removed from society.
    I disagree with your definition of murder.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with your definition of murder.
    Execution is premeditated, I consider it to be nothing less than murder. It is lawful, but it is also wrong. I view execution as being no less heinous in modern society than slavery was in the 19th century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Execution is premeditated, I consider it to be nothing less than murder.
    Murder is when you unlawfully kill someone. First degree murder is unlawfully killing someone with premeditation. Otherwise every soldier who fought in any wars, is a murderer. Which we know is a ridiculous thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yeah, too high IMO. Also the idea of giving the state the power to execute people seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Really??

A single innocent person losing his life to that horrid system is too much, I had no idea it was that high. If they cannot guarantee it lands at 0%, then they shouldn't be using that power.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Really??

A single innocent person losing his life to that horrid system is too much, I had no idea it was that high. If they cannot guarantee it lands at 0%, then they shouldn't be using that power.
    The doj did a study the most conservative figure was 4% with upper limit being 8%. Chances are it falls somewhere between and likely higher than 4% since that was the most conservative.

If they stuck to the obviously guilty....there wouldn't be any errors.