Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It's time you do something about all the bad faith posters on mmo-champion

Especially those engaging in sealioning.

Now you might think, what is that?

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning—often about basic information, information on easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points—with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target's patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the "sea lion" may seem innocent, they're intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.
    This is something a lot of posters here engage in. You should shut that down.

interesting to see that there is a term for it.

how would you prove sea lioning? and discern it from normal stupid questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post

How would you react irl if someone went full sea lion on you? Probably ignore them, right? You can do that here too

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post

By them "asking" questions about the most basic things and then saying they can't find anything on it. Like one guy wanted proof of what was claimed about social democrats in Sweden engaging in eugenics and claims he wants to read up on it, same guy asks for proof of basic history and claims he wants to read up on it. One simple search on google gives you thousands of hits of what they were doing or what happened but he pesters a poster about it instead. He didn't search for it, it's impossible that he did and then claims he can't find anything. He's not interested in reading up on it.
    Last edited by Heran; 2019-10-02 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

If you start demand the shutdown of one discussion behavior, then they'll spread and demands for others would appear - like 'whataboutism'

I'd suggest that you just put the ones on ignore, there is a script somewhere in the Suggestions and Feedback section that permits you to fully hide the person.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    By them asking questions about the most basic things and then saying they can't find anything on it. Like one guy wanted proof of what was claimed about social democrats in Sweden engaging in eugenics and claims he wants to read up on it, same guy asks for proof of basic history and claims he wants to read up on it. One simple search on google gives you thousands of hits of what they were doing or what happened but he pesters a poster about it instead. He didn't search for it, it's impossible that he did and then claims he can't find anything. He's not interested in reading up on it.
    But you have to remember, this is a very common method. Mostly to test the patience but also connecting back to they old accusing arguments where the ones creating the discussions are also the ones expected to show the proof.

Again, we just fall on ignore to be used. There sadly can be people who actually doesn't know of this term and doesn't know where to look for the same data as you accuse of being easily found.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If you start demand the shutdown of one discussion behavior, then they'll spread and demands for others would appear - like 'whataboutism'

I'd suggest that you just put the ones on ignore, there is a script somewhere in the Suggestions and Feedback section that permits you to fully hide the person.
    The sole intent of it is to waste time, to harass, to make people pissed.

Did you even read what it entails? That's not a discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

But you have to remember, this is a very common method. Mostly to test the patience but also connecting back to they old accusing arguments where the ones creating the discussions are also the ones expected to show the proof.
    If you claim to want to read up on it and claim you can't find anything on google then you are not interested in reading up on it, despite claiming so. You get thousands of hits for those two things this specific person asked for. There is an abundance of information about these topics on google but he pesters posters for that while claiming he wants to read up on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sole intent of it is to waste time, to harass, to make people pissed.

Did you even read what it entails? That's not a discussion.
    I read it but as stated, other methods creates the same issues - hence why I suggest ignore. Some people expect that others bring the full proof or they'll do this. I didn't know there was a name to this, but this attitude isn't new - not even on MMO-champion.

I read it but as stated, other methods creates the same issues - hence why I suggest ignore. Some people expect that others bring the full proof or they'll do this. I didn't know there was a name to this, but this attitude isn't new - not even on MMO-champion.
    It should be banned. If people tried to pull anything like it in discussions in school, like for debates or at work they'd be barred from the discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be banned. If people tried to pull anything like it in discussions in school, like for debates or at work they'd be barred from the discussion.
    Then again, at discussion classes, you're expected to bring the points if people demand directions, and if they start trying to nitpick, then they are shut down.

The thing is, making this a bannable offense can also catch people who is not intending on such.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post

How about making a simple script to check if the post is a question, run it through google to check for immediate answer. If true, remove the post and instead pm the poster with a letmegooglethatforyou link

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    How about making a simple script to check if the post is a question, run it through google to check for immediate answer. If true, remove the post and instead pm the poster with a letmegooglethatforyou link
    letmegooglethatforyou links are considered spam, though.

letmegooglethatforyou links are considered spam, though.
    Just make it pm the first google result to the guy then. Now that you mention it, I can see how those can be spam.

If only there was some kind of way to not engage with them, and not give them what they want. Heck could even go so far as to have some kind of mechanic to not see their posts...

Truly if only we had such powers
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Then again, at discussion classes, you're expected to bring the points if people demand directions, and if they start trying to nitpick, then they are shut down.

The thing is, making this a bannable offense can also catch people who is not intending on such.
    You're also expected to not ask for proof about the most basic things, things that are taught in primary education in schools. You're expected to possess knowledge about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're also expected to not ask for proof about the most basic things, things that are taught in primary education in schools. You're expected to possess knowledge about it.
    That is of course true but then someone can pull the defense card and claim a lot of things to be basic knowledge from where they are from, or not basic knowledge. A bit too many loose ends on this to be a bannable thing.

well somebody learned a new word.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

We've been asking for years. It won't happen. Throw them on ignore and use the script linked in my signature. It works in Adblock Plus and uBlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont replay to them. Continue posts with other members. Its a tactic that works and makes the troll more frustated.
    And as soon as they start with insults, report them to mods.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you tried just ignoring them? If the difference between "sealioning" and straight up stupid questions is just the intent, why not just ignore stupid questions as a whole and cut them both out.

Wait.. are you sealioning me?
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2019-10-02 at 08:15 AM.